Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mammoth cloning attempt in 'initial stages'

UM-Bot

finally ... mammoth burgers and steaks ...

• Like 3

Yaba daba doooo

• Like 1

Species go Extinct for a reason,would Mammoths even be able to survive in today's warming World?

I don't believe repopulating the Earth with Mammoths is  the objective . Knowledge gained from the attempt is the goal . Present cloning attempts still have flaws .   

4 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Species go Extinct for a reason,would Mammoths even be able to survive in today's warming World?

They may have been a keystone species in the Arctic, as Elephants are in Asia and Africa. Probably they would do fine in sub-Arctic habitats in a national park setting; likely they would be in zoos at first anyway. But more importantly is what we learn from the process. There have been animals that have gone extinct in recent times due to man's ignorance, such as the Carolina Parakeet, Passenger Pigeon and the Thylacine. Perhaps we can right a wrong that was done when we so carelessly eradicated them. 

Well of course they didnt go extinct for ni reason. Try being hunted to death and also being built for the ice age in a world thats heating up. Why do i feel like the huge marketable food source could be the ultimate secret objective here.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

I think I'll put in an order for a little one.  

• Like 1

Pigme Mammoths for pets!

• Like 1

We continue the search for new materials and samples. We need such cell that could share information. If we could find a sample that is not only well preserved but also in which biochemical processes can take place, we will be able to impregnate it with the help of the Asian elephant materials,” says professor of the South Korean Foundation of Biotechnological Research SOAAM, Hwang Woo-Suk.

So the last promising sample wasn't good enough, therefore they don't have material to make a viable clone after all.

• Like 1

I hope this never happens.  We can't even protect our elephants, lions, gorillas, etc., but they want to bring another species into the world to hunt, eat and experiment on.  

Animals are sentient creatures who want to live and even if they are eaten, they should be handled with care and consideration; just because we should know how to do that.

Man is excellent at finding ways to hurt those who can't defend themselves.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

I hope this never happens.  We can't even protect our elephants, lions, gorillas, etc., but they want to bring another species into the world to hunt, eat and experiment on.  

Animals are sentient creatures who want to live and even if they are eaten, they should be handled with care and consideration; just because we should know how to do that.

Man is excellent at finding ways to hurt those who can't defend themselves.  

true, but as the Mammoths would probably live in Antarctica, I don't see too many "Big Game Hunters" running an safaris there.

So animal testing is a no no, so what is the next alternative for these "Frankenstein scientists" ? = we will make our own animals to test on.  SHOCKING!

• Like 1

I say we bring back the DOdo ...

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

true, but as the Mammoths would probably live in Antarctica, I don't see too many "Big Game Hunters" running an safaris there.

I'm sure the "thrill seekers" would go. It would just be a bigger adventure for them.

If there's a way to hurt something; man finds a way to do it. 

It's heartbreaking.  

18 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Antarctica? Why would they be put there? 

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Antarctica? Why would they be put there? 

Yes, why indeed, nothing there for them. In the unlikely event this comes to pass, it will be the most pampered animal in history.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yes, why indeed, nothing there for them. In the unlikely event this comes to pass, it will be the most pampered animal in history.

Unless they clone the thylacine, then that will be even more pampered again. Of the two, I think that'd be the better choice, but I doubt it'll ever happen. And I doubt either would really produce an 'authentic' animal so much as a curio. 

I feel bringing them back is a responsible decision as we should bring back all species that we possibly can, especially the ones destroyed at the hands of man before our enlightenment...which we are still refining. I also feel that this animal isn't totally "extinct", since it's DNA will eventually give this great species precious life again. 

Edited by Atuke

I can't agree. While it'd be great to correct the mistakes we've made in the past, the main priority should be to conserve what's we can of what's threatened now. 

• Like 1