Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much would the Enterprise cost to run ?

UM-Bot

That's a bargain when you consider how many opportunities you have to violate The Prime Directive when aboard her.

• Like 4

I see they didn't factor in the possibility of having to replace the warp core. Amateurs.

• Like 4

Right, so adjusting for inflation up to the mid-24th century £10,342,817.36 is...

*sound of calculator keys being rapidly pressed*

£ 3,980,537,261,884,694,279,401.79 per annum.

Bargain! :mellow:

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

*whoops, wrong key!*

Edited by Leonardo

Ah, but... SGS Engineering have obviously not watched much Star Trek.

They factor in 'wages', but.... the Star Trek universe doesn't have money, and there are no 'wages' per se. Nothing to sell, nothing to buy, nothing to buy WITH.

How can you have trade and manufacturing competition when most daily individual requirements can be met by a replicator unit ?

I'd also assume that their advanced technology doesn't break down that often. Consider how early motor vehicles where continously breaking down, and required regular skilled maintenance work. Then compare that to modern cars.

Mind you... modern cars don't tend to tangle with Klingon battle-cruisers.

• Like 6

How would an Enterprise from era actually be run?  I foresee a hell of a lot more automation than is actually shown.  The original Enterprise 1701 had a crew of over 400 or so (depending on the source)....why do they need so many personnel?

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Ah, but... SGS Engineering have obviously not watched much Star Trek.

They factor in 'wages', but.... the Star Trek universe doesn't have money, and there are no 'wages' per se. Nothing to sell, nothing to buy, nothing to buy WITH.

How can you have trade and manufacturing competition when most daily individual requirements can be met by a replicator unit ?

Exactly so any comparison of saying it wouldn't be feasible is a mute point......i look forward to the day where money is no longer the driving force.

Is that about 11.5 million USD?

I'd imagine the cost of operation is close to zero. As long as the ship has a anti-matter warp core, and replicators, it will have everything it needs to operate.

I've been re-watching Star Trek Voyager... (Come on... I get bored sometimes...) and one of the Major Themes going on in season one and two is that they can not afford to allow Federation replicator/transporter technology to fall into the hands of the Kazon, or anyone else. Because it would ruin all the economies/treaties/cultures that it was introduced to, thus violating the Prime Directive on a massive scale.

A device all Federation personnel take for granted as an everyday device, combined with lots of energy, leads directly to the ruination of a currency based economy. With energy almost free, then any object is almost free.

Aside from all that... I'd say 10 million pounds is a real deal in order to have such a ship out and exploring, and protecting the Earth.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

I am curious how much OK's war machine cost per year?

they failed to factor in 'parking fines/tickets'........where ever you go....however remote.....they would find you!!!

the star trek personal had all their needs meet while in service.  but the normal people needed money or credits to pay for things.  remember in the first episode of the next gen. the good docter bought a role of fabric and told the clerk to credit to her on the enterprise.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:51 AM, DieChecker said:

I'd imagine the cost of operation is close to zero. As long as the ship has a anti-matter warp core, and replicators, it will have everything it needs to operate.

I've been re-watching Star Trek Voyager... (Come on... I get bored sometimes...) and one of the Major Themes going on in season one and two is that they can not afford to allow Federation replicator/transporter technology to fall into the hands of the Kazon, or anyone else. Because it would ruin all the economies/treaties/cultures that it was introduced to, thus violating the Prime Directive on a massive scale.

A device all Federation personnel take for granted as an everyday device, combined with lots of energy, leads directly to the ruination of a currency based economy. With energy almost free, then any object is almost free.

Aside from all that... I'd say 10 million pounds is a real deal in order to have such a ship out and exploring, and protecting the Earth.

A good point on the replicators, but think about it, how did the Federation pay for all the dilithium crystals Scottie went through?  What did we trade and how were the trades good obtained?  The first ST:TNG, Farpoint, shows Dr. Crusher purchasing items in an outside market.  Since she has no money, how did she pay for the fabric she bought? Even Captain Kirk stated that precious gems are worthless as "We can as many as we want."  The Federation must of had some type of pay/exchange rate as not to upset the economy of the planets they visited.

13 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

A good point on the replicators, but think about it, how did the Federation pay for all the dilithium crystals Scottie went through?  What did we trade and how were the trades good obtained? 

They were traded for beautiful women. 

320x240.jpg       (the brunette is the one I've always had a thing for)

And they were obtained through Harcourt Fenton Mudd

320x240.jpg

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I think a much more important question is how much did it cost to run the Death Star ?

Speaking of the Death Star, did Luke ever think of the close to 2 million crew members and their families before he killed them ?  :rolleyes: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think a much more important question is how much did it cost to run the Death Star ?

Speaking of the Death Star, did Luke ever think of the close to 2 million crew members and their families before he killed them ?  :rolleyes: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star

facebook-thumbs-star-wars-luke-skywalker

6 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

They were mainly clones anyway so who cares?

• Like 1

Based on today's tech, the enterprise would be as large as the sun and cost the lives of everyone on board.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, DieChecker said:

they also couldn't afford the energy to run the replucaters as a normal operation.

If Gov funded it would cost ten times the original figure given to the public.  Same as everything else.

• 5 years later...