Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gary Johnson

Hawken

Bit late isn't he?

• Like 2

meh I like Gary but a lot of his views are too extreme for me. I like small government, but I do feel government is needed in certain things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

meh I like Gary but a lot of his views are too extreme for me. I like small government, but I do feel government is needed in certain things.

Then perhaps electing someone such as Gary could pare it down partially resulting in the smaller government but strengthening certain areas of it as part of compromises to get parts of his agenda through a hostile congress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Extreme views won't get past the congress or senate.  I don't care for some of his far out things either, but the guy is a good leader.  He's been successful in life, business, and politics...Without alienating large groups of people.

Gary Johnson represents positive change.

• Like 4

Honestly, the only thing I don't agree with Johnson on is that he seems a bit too "open borders" for my liking. I'm all for providing hard working immigrants with the opportunities that the rest of us enjoy, but I think there still needs to be a major crackdown on illegal immigration and the companies who exploit these people. 

As for drugs, I'm for decriminalization of marijuana and a few others, but he seems to prefer outright legalization; something I'm a little iffy on at the moment. 

More research is necessary on the guy, but I'm pretty positive he'll be my man at the booth come November. 

• Like 2

I don't agree with Johnson on some of his politics either, but him and Weld did wonders for their states as governors.

Such as cut taxes and built bridges, schools, hospitals (etc) and left their states with a surplus of money in the billions.

If elected, I hoping they could at least reduce the deficit that is now hovering around 20 trillion.

• Like 3

I voted for him last time around.  A lot of his views on issues and mine are similar and if he did win, the powers that be would curb his more extreme ideas.  But it would have been a definite step in the right direction.  Only reason I am not voting for him this time around is that I do think the various parties need to be less reactionary and more future thinking.

Almost all the issues today could have been curtailed with action 40+ years ago.  With the accelerated growth of technology, government is struggling to catch up.  Just look at Powell, Clinton, and the lot with their emails.  So Zoltan Istvan for me.  We are arguing and divided about which bathrooms transgenders can use.  What's going to happen when we start throwing clones, cyborgs, AI's, etc.  into the mix?  People are worried about Mexicans taking their jobs.  What is going to happen when augmented humans start doing it?  After it happens is probably not the best time to that thinking about it politically. 

• Like 2

There are 3 main reasons I think for independents to vote Gary Johnson.

1. Emphasis put on rights & individual freedom

2. Non-interventionism on foreign policy

3. Johnson is better equipped as a candidate than Clinton or Trump.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Princess Serenity said:

Bit late isn't he?

First year a third party could have a chance since the Libertarians are on the ballot in all 50 States and everyone is fed up with the major parties. I only see gridlock coming to him from congress. Obama got it just from Republicans, could you imagine if you had 2 major parties against you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

First year a third party could have a chance since the Libertarians are on the ballot in all 50 States and everyone is fed up with the major parties. I only see gridlock coming to him from congress. Obama got it just from Republicans, could you imagine if you had 2 major parties against you!

Johnson needs to reach the critical 15% of vote in the polls. He won't stand a chance if he can't be seen on national debates.

Than a lot of people will realize there is a real third option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Johnson needs to reach the critical 15% of vote in the polls. He won't stand a chance if he can't be seen on national debates.

Than a lot of people will realize there is a real third option.

I wonder if Trump will will be in the debates, he likes backing out like with Bernie calling him up on offer. I think they should have all the parties in the debates since it is a make or break event. 

I heard on CNN a candidate for president is not required to debate, but I'd like to see both Hillary and Gary make a fool out of Trump to his supporters.

If Trump does back out of the debates, then I think Johnson should be able to step in regardless of poll ratings.

• Like 3

Trump only skipped one of a dozen or so debates and had no good reason to debate Sanders. He probably lost Iowa because of that choice so I'd expect he won't pull any stunts. It's not like Clinton is the debate anywhere anytime candidate. Mrs. Saturday/Sunday night during other big events debate queen that she is but she's cool cause DWS said she and the DNC did all they could to schedule maximum debates with maximum exposure. :td:

I hope Johnson gets to take the stage though he's at 11% right now. Sure the media is to blame for some of that but he can find a way to get attention. He needs to. There's no reason he can't be on some clever social media campaign at the very least. That's the problem with libertarians. They're a great third option but they're so principled in being the party of limitations that they include effort in their limitations. They always remark something about how it isn't about showmanship it's about the policies. Ok great we get it. You're grounded in your ideals but that isn't enough. Commentary on the zombie sheep reality tv obsessed spoon fed society all you want but you are going to have to tap into that society somehow pull that principled stick from your butt. It's the only way they'll ever have a chance.

• Like 1

On July 31, 2016 at 0:29 AM, TruthSeeker_ said:

There are 3 main reasons I think for independents to vote Gary Johnson.

1. Emphasis put on rights & individual freedom

2. Non-interventionism on foreign policy

3. Johnson is better equipped as a candidate than Clinton or Trump.

This may sound strange coming from me, but I can't vote for him. His support of the TPP alone to me disqualifies him as a possibility  . I don't even see how he can call himself a libertarian and support that. Plus he picked a anti second amendment running mate. Plus he is anti property rights, thinking businesses should have to serve others they morally object to. Aside from wanting to end the drug war, I don't see how he's even a libertarian. 

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

This may sound strange coming from me, but I can't vote for him. His support of the TPP alone to me disqualifies him as a possibility  . I don't even see how he can call himself a libertarian and support that. Plus he picked a anti second amendment running mate. Plus he is anti property rights, thinking businesses should have to serve others they morally object to. Aside from wanting to end the drug war, I don't see how he's even a libertarian. 

I would call Johnson a moderate Libertarian with Republican-leaning views.  His support for the TPP comes from his pro-free trade stance, and he would rather have that then nothing. But he himself acknowledges that this deal is far from perfect.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

I would call Johnson a moderate Libertarian with Republican-leaning views.  His support for the TPP comes from his pro-free trade stance, and he would rather have that then nothing. But he himself acknowledges that this deal is far from perfect.

Its not only far from perfect, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with free trade. The TPP is the number one enemy this country faces today and must over come. The TPP is corporate rule over sovereign countries.  

14 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

That's a bit too confrontational for my tastes, but it gets the point across.  I'm not sure people will listen to his argument when he puts it like that.

Although, I am coming to the belief that people who do not vote their conscience and only vote to prevent a different outcome are definitely part of a problem.  I don't want to call them cowards, but that's where I'm leaning.

I heard Gary Johnson had this to say about the Olympics and Trump:

"I hear that Donald Trump is watching the Olympics tonight. He's seeing how high the Mexican pole vaulters go "

Edited by supervike
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, supervike said:

That's a bit too confrontational for my tastes, but it gets the point across.  I'm not sure people will listen to his argument when he puts it like that.

Although, I am coming to the belief that people who do not vote their conscience and only vote to prevent a different outcome are definitely part of a problem.  I don't want to call them cowards, but that's where I'm leaning.

I heard Gary Johnson had this to say about the Olympics and Trump:

"I hear that Donald Trump is watching the Olympics tonight. He's seeing how high the Mexican pole vaulters go "

Penn Jillette could get his point across without the F-bomb. But he was right about when people say

your wasting your vote. They're actually saying, vote for my candidate.

• Like 2