Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At the singularity computers delete man?

Alan McDougall

When artificial intelligence surpasses human intelligence levels , what might happen after that?

This event is called the singularity by computer buffs.

What do you think??

It might DELETE MAN!!

Scary

Edited by Alan McDougall
  • Like 1

Kurzweil says that machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards he predicts intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe.

From Daughter of the Nine Moons link.

My question is, if this scenario is correct, why haven't we discovered Alien AI everywhere in the galaxy? Anyway, I once wrote a little story in which after the singularity, super-intelligent AI eventually exterminated the irrational human race to create their own rational paradise on earth. However, disagreements eventually appeared among the AI intelligence's, resulting in them nuking each other into oblivion. Maybe technology contains the seeds of its own destruction.

Perhaps this is an element of the Great Filter, in which species that evolve to intelligence eventually always destroy themselves by their own technology.

• Like 3

I admit total ignorance on this topic.  I wonder though, have computers ever created art?  Music?  Have they ever created anything spontaneously that does not flow from their input?  I get the idea that a machine could far exceed a human in calculations and quantifying between possibilities but how would that translate into being able to destroy humanity?  For that matter, why would the need even occur to the machine overlords?  Thanks for the reference DotNM.  I'm going to see if I can grab it as an audio title now :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, and then said:

I get the idea that a machine could far exceed a human in calculations and quantifying between possibilities but how would that translate into being able to destroy humanity?  For that matter, why would the need even occur to the machine overlords?

A bit too late/early over here to get my head around a reply, but I think we definitely need a Matrix clip :D

• Like 4

I don't really imagine a robot takeover. I feel humans will just slowly turn into robots piece by piece as our technology gets better

• Like 2

Automation kills jobs and the automatons that are robots kill jobs.

Luddites unite!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I admit total ignorance on this topic.  I wonder though, have computers ever created art?  Music?  Have they ever created anything spontaneously that does not flow from their input?  I get the idea that a machine could far exceed a human in calculations and quantifying between possibilities but how would that translate into being able to destroy humanity?  For that matter, why would the need even occur to the machine overlords?  Thanks for the reference DotNM.  I'm going to see if I can grab it as an audio title now :)

Well, the AI machines could eventually consider mankind as inferior dullards who do nothing but squabble among themselves threatening the existence of themselves and their machine 'overlords',. In my story, I think the machines cleansed the earth of all biological infestations, creating a metal society designed according to their requirements.

There are some folks who believe that the singularity has already occurred.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Who ?

"The greatest fool can ask a question that the smartest person cannot answer."- Said by someone who died long ago, way smarter than me.

"That doesn't make the fool right."  - Me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Who ?

Google "The Singularity has already happened" and you will find many discussions.

1 minute ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Google "The Singularity has already happened" and you will find many discussions.

Oh great, now you're assigning homework on a long weekend. ;)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Yes, and most of it not terribly convincing. I don't see a motive for any of it.

5 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

My question is, if this scenario is correct, why haven't we discovered Alien AI everywhere in the galaxy? 

maybe it's just too clever to be noticed unless they want to be.

We are all victims of the collective delusions ~

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Yes, and most of it not terribly convincing. I don't see a motive for any of it.

What gave you the mistaken idea that I was trying to convince you of anything?

2 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

What gave you the mistaken idea that I was trying to convince you of anything?

What gives you the mistaken idea that I thought you were trying to convince me ? My answer was merely a comment that I can see no motive that would create  this  "singularity". But I sure as hell can see powerful motives to prevent it.

1 hour ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

:tu:

All good !

Don't you think "At the singularity computers delete man" would make almost as good a meme as "All your base belong to us"? 

12 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Present!

But then, I don't see any reason to believe an AI would delete man.  That's human-style destructive thinking.  A computer may well be completely ambivalent about humans, or even affectionately tolerant of them, like children with a curmudgeony grandpa.

• Like 3

I thought the Singularity was the point where man and machine were indivisible and you couldn't tell where one stopped and the other began, a unity or synthesis not a submission.

20 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

My question is, if this scenario is correct, why haven't we discovered Alien AI everywhere in the galaxy? Anyway, I once wrote a little story in which after the singularity, super-intelligent AI eventually exterminated the irrational human race to create their own rational paradise on earth. However, disagreements eventually appeared among the AI intelligence's, resulting in them nuking each other into oblivion. Maybe technology contains the seeds of its own destruction.

Perhaps this is an element of the Great Filter, in which species that evolve to intelligence eventually always destroy themselves by their own technology.

There is a movie in which Johnny Deb is the main actor in which he dies and has his consciousness uploaded into the internet which he then takes over control of it and become an almost God-like all- powerful controlling intelligence slowly taking control of the lives of people and machines in the whole world.

I just cannot recall the title of this very interesting movie

Alan

7 minutes ago, Alan McDougall said:

There is a movie in which Johnny Deb is the main actor in which he dies and has his consciousness uploaded into the internet which he then takes over control of it and become an almost God-like all- powerful controlling intelligence slowly taking control of the lives of people and machines in the whole world.

I just cannot recall the title of this very interesting movie

Alan

Transcendence.

and that's still not the Singularity - although there are people within the film that's close - the folks with nanobots in their systems. 

The he closest I can think of to a rough analogy is Seven of Nine from Voyager, her biology is technological and her technology is biological.

• Like 1