Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 10
alibongo

Brexit

2,765 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Did everybody enjoy Independence Day yesterday?

No.  I was too busy pouring through the latest pile of farcical EU directives :P 

(Independence Day is when you get Independence, not when you say you would one day like Independence ;)  ) 

5 hours ago, Essan said:

No.  I was too busy pouring through the latest pile of farcical EU directives :P 

(Independence Day is when you get Independence, not when you say you would one day like Independence ;)  ) 

13 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Did everybody enjoy Independence Day yesterday?

Unfortunately, there may not be an Independence Day.

An all-party alliance are plotting to scupper the Brexit negotiations:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hard-brexit-under-threat-as-mps-from-all-parties-plan-alliance-to-defeat-theresa-mays-plans/ar-BBD5vgu?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=uie11msnhpl

17 hours ago, Essan said:

Someone ought to tell the Americans that.

6 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

An all-party alliance are plotting to scupper the Brexit negotiations:http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hard-brexit-under-threat-as-mps-from-all-parties-plan-alliance-to-defeat-theresa-mays-plans/ar-BBD5vgu?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=uie11msnhpl

To perhaps water down the hardcore of hardcore Tories' Churchillian "plucky islanders standing alone against totalitarianism" self-delusion? To, as the story puts it, force ministers to listen to business groups ? What insanity! 

MvD, would YOU wan't your country entirely run by the interests of "business groups" ? Because that is what coalitions like the above will accomplish.

The UK voted - albeit narrowly - to leave the European Union. By definition, that means a so-called "Hard" Brexit. It means leaving the customs union, the single  market, the European Court of Justice, and all of the other institutions. 

Let's be really clear on this: the so-called "soft" Brexit's are simply not Brexit's at all, and are a betrayal of the referendum result. The balance of Parliament was ALWAYS against a Brexit, so what we are seeing here is nothing new.

2 people like this

The dictatorship of the proletariat should over-rule the concerns of business? The People, whether or not they know anything en masse about business or what makes a successful and profitable economy, should be the ones that arbitrarily dictate the future direction of the ecomomy because they yearn, in some vague and inchoate way, for "freedom" from the tyranny of Brussels (Even if that means leaving decisions about the future direction of the economy in the hands of dogmatists who seem to have no conception of what to do next beyond slogans)?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

Trying to stop Brexit, scuppering the will of the people, i've not heard that  before.

Edited by hetrodoxly
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Brexit will happen - the question now is the shape and nature of that exit. I doubt anyone truly believes it will the same as May envisaged before the recent election. 

Edited by RAyMO

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

MvD, would YOU wan't your country entirely run by the interests of "business groups" ? Because that is what coalitions like the above will accomplish.

The UK voted - albeit narrowly - to leave the European Union. By definition, that means a so-called "Hard" Brexit. It means leaving the customs union, the single  market, the European Court of Justice, and all of the other institutions. 

Let's be really clear on this: the so-called "soft" Brexit's are simply not Brexit's at all, and are a betrayal of the referendum result. The balance of Parliament was ALWAYS against a Brexit, so what we are seeing here is nothing new.

All these articles which come from the Pro-EU / Anti-Brexit media all fail to mention a critical point. and you'd think they exist to educate and inform their readership. But when they go on about Soft Brexit, and a coalition of MP's will block Brexit. - What about the Act of Parliament that was passed in the House of Commons which mandates the UK has to Leave the European Union. and as you've mentioned, remaining part of the Customs Union/ Single Market or ECJ is not leaving the EU. What also makes me laugh is, why would we now remain part of the EU under "soft Brexit" on  worse terms than we currently have now. its a strange argument they make, - So, its clear we are leaving the political project some people just fail to see the legal position of it all.

I'm loving it, because you can tell the remoaners are still hurting. They thought Gina Miller and Associates would stop Brexit, They then thought the MP's would Vote down the Referendum result, that failed as they passed an Act of Parliament, then they thought Nicola Sturgeon and SNP could scupper Brexit, then they thought The General Election would stop Brexit, and yet 80%+ of the Vote went to the two parties who both stated in their manifesto the UK will be leaving the EU, then they turned to exploiting the differing opinion between Theresa May and Philip Hammond. hoping a leadership challenge would come and Hammond would keep us in. and it gets even more absurd, they say any Deal at the end of the negotiations has to be voted on in Parliament, IF the deal is so bad we vote it down and remain in the EU. If that was true the EU would simply give us the worst deal possible and we'd remain. :D

I cant wait till we are out - out and the snowflakes melt.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

Brexit will happen - the question now is the shape and nature of that exit. I doubt anyone truly believes it will the same as May envisaged before the recent election. 

You mean what the people envisaged, there's only Brexit not leaving the single market isn't Brexit, getting the best deal we can while leaving the single market is just the same today as it was 12 months ago, there's only in or out nothing else.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, skookum said:

The owner of a loss making investment company telling us all what is best for the UK financially . Hypocrisy at its best. 

What i didnt like about Gina Miller was she was used as a front for others who remained anonymous and while the BBC and the like where focused on the main court battle there was a second Gina Miller & associates court case with them associates fighting to keep their identity secret and remain anonymous. the court ruled in their favour, but who exactly where the people behind her pulling the strings.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

What i didnt like about Gina Miller was she was used as a front for others who remained anonymous and while the BBC and the like where focused on the main court battle there was a second Gina Miller & associates court case with them associates fighting to keep their identity secret and remain anonymous. the court ruled in their favour, but who exactly where the people behind her pulling the strings.

Gina Miller stands for a lot of foreign values towards the UK.  Put it another way 50 years ago you could walk into the Australia unquestioned and America about 100 years ago.  If you were seeking a new life they invited you in opened armed.  Since then they require strict visas the UK has become the best option for next best to the Australia/American Dream.

The UK offers a good standard of living and has the advantage of you just having to have some kind of EU registration to live here.  I suppose it is like if the UK was a third World country and loads of us emigrated to the USA unchallenged the ones who reached there would campaign for the ones who have not if borders would close, its human nature.