Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Obama Pay Ransom To Iran?

Lilly

On 8/23/2016 at 5:26 AM, Lilly said:

My analogy actually does raise the question of whether money that belonged to one government is a priori the property of those who illegally overthrow said government. Considering what Iran is likely to do with that money it's a very bad idea to return it.

Historically, the spoils go to the victor. This moreover was money that we already agreed to pay them as part of a legal settlement.

The below is from the state dept. Which usually wants to foment war in the middle east. So who knows.

Blitzer asked Toner if there were any restrictions on how the Iranians could use the funds.

“Are there any restrictions on how the Iranians can use that $400 million?” he asked.

Toner said the cash is officially Iran’s money and he could not comment on any possible restrictions on it. He added that from what the United States government could see, the money has been used towards projects such as infrastructure improvement.

“I can’t speak to what restrictions that may be in place regarding that,” he said. “That is Iran’s money. But, what we have seen, and I think some U.S. officials have spoken to this, is that the money has not been used–as far as we can see, for any nefarious purposes. It has been used for infrastructure improvement, development projects, et cetera.”

He then pointed out that Iran could possibly use the money to conduct “bad behavior” in the Middle East.

“We haven’t seen it used,” he said. “Now, we can’t rule that out again because we’ve seen Iran continue to exercise bad behavior in the region. We can’t change that overnight.”

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/state-dept-cant-rule-out-400-million-iran-used-terrorism/

Edited by ninjadude

• 2 weeks later...

The Obama administration disclosed to Congress on Tuesday that it transferred a total of $1.7  billion in cash through Swiss banks to Iran around the time American hostages were released this year, about four times the amount originally disclosed to the public, sources told Circa.

http://circa.com/politics/us-gave-17-billion-to-iran-as-hostages-were-released-four-times-original-amount

• Like 1

IIRC, that was the first installment of the agreed upon amount. So yeah this is a non-issue.

7 hours ago, Sweetpumper said:

The Obama administration disclosed to Congress on Tuesday that it transferred a total of $1.7  billion in cash through Swiss banks to Iran around the time American hostages were released this year, about four times the amount originally disclosed to the public, sources told Circa.

http://circa.com/politics/us-gave-17-billion-to-iran-as-hostages-were-released-four-times-original-amount

So we gave in to terrorists and met their demands.  135 days till Obama finishes his disaster of a presidency, and hopefully changes for the better.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

So we gave in to terrorists and met their demands. 

no, we paid an international agreement. It's clear that you have no sense of law and order.

22 minutes ago, ninjadude said:

no, we paid an international agreement. It's clear that you have no sense of law and order.

Would you stop with your tripe please and for once post something accurately?  I've kept you off of the ignore list hoping that your one-line uninformed ramblings would clear up and you'd come out of whatever progressive stupor you're in that keeps you head in a hole pretending that the real world isn't real.  Come on, you can improve, I believe in you.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 1

My brother who works in the airforce for intellgence really hates the Iranian government.

He says they antagonise our boats all the time. Shooting at them or even capturing. We made a deal with them recently and they still hate us. Plus all the foreign aid we push out to them

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

My brother who works in the airforce for intellgence really hates the Iranian government.

He says they antagonise our boats all the time. Shooting at them or even capturing. We made a deal with them recently and they still hate us. Plus all the foreign aid we push out to them

Just goes to show that there is no dealing with terrorists.  Unless you're Obama.

1 hour ago, Kurzweil said:

They should make a parody of that show "let's make a deal" and obama just shows terrorist a door that leads to America.

Funny stuff, but in reality, this isn't a laughing manner.  He's jeopardizing national and world security with this idiotic antics.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2016 at 7:23 PM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Would you stop with your tripe please and for once post something accurately?

is this posted accurately enough for you? i doubt it since you apparently suffer from cognitive dissonance.

The United States and Iran today have settled a long outstanding claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in the Hague.

This specific claim was in the amount of a $400 million Trust Fund used by Iran to purchase military equipment from the United States prior to the break in diplomatic ties. In 1981, with the reaching of the Algiers Accords and the creation of the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal, Iran filed a claim for these funds, tying them up in litigation at the Tribunal.

This is the latest of a series of important settlements reached over the past 35 years at the Hague Tribunal. In constructive bilateral discussions, we arrived at a fair settlement to this claim, which due to litigation risk, remains in the best interests of the United States.

Iran will receive the balance of $400 million in the Trust Fund, as well as a roughly $1.3 billion compromise on the interest. Iran’s recovery was fixed at a reasonable rate of interest and therefore Iran is unable to pursue a bigger Tribunal award against us, preventing U.S. taxpayers from being obligated to a larger amount of money. [U.S. Department of State, 1/17/16]

1 hour ago, ninjadude said:

is this posted accurately enough for you? i doubt it since you apparently suffer from cognitive dissonance.

No.  You're still piling your tripe armpit high.  This was a rasnom.  No matter how you want to pretend otherwise, you're wrong again.

Do you ever wonder why the majority of the normal posters here refuse to give you any serious credit anymore?

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

20 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

No.  You're still piling your tripe armpit high.  This was a rasnom.  No matter how you want to pretend otherwise, you're wrong again.

Do you ever wonder why the majority of the normal posters here refuse to give you any serious credit anymore?

Trolls like you don't count as a majority or "normal". You don't get to make up crap that simply is not so.

On 9/9/2016 at 7:00 PM, ninjadude said:

Trolls like you don't count as a majority or "normal". You don't get to make up crap that simply is not so.

You're a funny little man.  You are completely incapable of posting anything accurate or correct, consistently making up stuff as you type, and no one ever comments on the content of your posts other than to point out how laughable you make yourself out to be.

So, let's see you back up your claim about me, please.  Show that I'm not in the majority, I will wait patiently.  This is your chance to post something relevant for once, and to persuade others to see your point of view.  You know, instead of the incessant trolling you've become an expert of.

We should not be giving Iran any more money. I don't care if it's "theirs", the current government of Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism and should not be allowed access to money they will just use for terrorism.  

Edited by Lilly
typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

Report: $37.4 Million of Cash US Transferred to Iran Went to Terrorist Groups

I don't know why I "liked" this post, it's a terrible thing.  So, on top of paying a ransom, that ransom money now funded Iran's war efforts against everyone else in the ME...and the rest of the world.  Way to go Obama.  Let's cement that legacy of abject failure.

Something's really wrong here.

First off, there's all this talk about the money Obama gave back to Iran... Or "unfroze" the money... or however you want to term it.

$1.7 Billion dollars.

Now, apparently Iran took that money and allegedly put Millions towards terrorist groups... Though I have seen no proof of that...

- "The non-profit group estimated this as a base figure after detailed research into how the Iranian budget is spent and then taking the corresponding percentage of the funds given to Teheran by the U.S."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/report-iran-cash-payment-terrorists-groups/2016/09/14/id/748196/#ixzz4KFQttiOb

Hardly what I would call proof, to back up a headline like that... which is besides the point anyways, but just saying.

What really gets me about all of this is why are there STILL... NO MSM networks ... talking about the $10.5 Billion dollars that Iran OWES the 9/11 victims and their insurers?

1 - Indeed, the U.S. should NOT be giving Iran ANY money.

2 - WHY, is the MSM so silent on the $10.5 Billion dollar judgement against Iran handed down NY Judge George Daniels, only this past March???

There is something wrong with all of this.

So Iran is partly responsible for 9/11? and yet Obama still wants to give them nuclear capabilities and Billions of dollars in cash, delivered on pallets like Columbian drug deals, in secret(or as low key as possible) from the American public, while at the same time, the MSM keeps completely silent on the Iran-9/11 issue and the $10.5 Billion they owe???

There's something really rotten going on here IMO.

From CNN 6 days ago...

- "The Obama administration made two additional cash payments totaling $1.3 billion, after delivering $400 million to Iran by plane in January, to resolve a failed arms deal, administration officials told lawmakers Tuesday."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/07/politics/iran-cash-payments-congress-hearing/

So Obama's making sure that Iran gets their money in an effort to "resolve" past issues, but hasn't said a word about American citizens(9/11 victims at that) or done a thing to "resolve" anything for them.

And this guy is championing Hillary for President? :wacko:

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

We should not be giving Iran any more money. I don't care if it's "theirs", the current government of Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism and should not be allowed access to money they will just use for terrorism.  

So you're advocating lawlessness. Correct?

2 minutes ago, ninjadude said:

Well, that post certainly didn't make sense.

1 hour ago, ninjadude said:

If the choice is to allow vast amounts of money to fall into the hands of terrorist organizations or 'advocate lawlessness'...then bring on the 'lawlessness' (if that's what you choose to call it).

• Like 1

Getting the muddle out of the quagmire ...

~

Why the U.S. Owed Iran That $400 Million

Aug. 5, 2016

But still at issue as Obama began his second term was $400 million that Iran in the late 1970s had paid for U.S. fighter jets, while Tehran was still a U.S. ally. After it turned into an enemy in 1979, Washington was not about to deliver the jets. But, all these years later, Iran wanted its money back—and with interest.

Get your history fix in one place: sign up for the weekly TIME History newsletter

All told, Tehran was asking The Hague arbitrators (comprising equal numbers of U.S., Iranian and neutral judges) for $10 billion. Fearing they might actually be awarded that much, or something like it, the Obama administration negotiated privately with Tehran, which agreed to settle for $1.7 billion. The $400 million stacked on pallets was the first installment.

• 3 weeks later...

Obama admin ripped over ‘secret’ deal aiding Iranian banks

The Obama administration is coming under tough new criticism for its dealings with Tehran after a Wall Street Journal report claimed the U.S. agreed to sign a “secret document” lifting international sanctions on Iranian banks just as the regime was releasing four American prisoners.

House Speaker Paul Ryan on Friday called on Obama to provide “an immediate explanation.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/30/obama-admin-pressed-for-answers-on-secret-deal-aiding-iranian-banks.html