Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Obama Pay Ransom To Iran?

Lilly

Well, those 400 million is part of the Iranian assets (and the way I understand it the cash part of an estimated 2 billion) frozen in the US that we will have to return sooner or later. With the nuclear deal that money had to be returned.

Now, the point in time might be a little awkward.

• Like 3

I believe it was Iran finding an irresistible opportunity to be a little cheeky with the Diplomatic channels ...

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

It does seem that we have a history of trading Iran things for hostages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Contra_affair

Not really, see the story was slightly different there: Iran had a lot of money frozen in the US and Reagan needed a lot of money. So with the help of General Dynamics he got some of that money to finance the Contra in Nicaragua (not that it led anywhere).

Here's what bothers me: The US could have easily just transferred the money electronically in Euros to Iran. Instead physical cash of various types was loaded secretly (or so they thought) onto a plane and flown to Iran. Then, *Voila!* the 4 prisoners were freed. I smell something and it's very fishy smelling.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

What was that whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" deal, again?

Think that went out the window when we started supplying weapons to Syrian Rebels.  If not before. 

• Like 3

Accountability and Democracy

Presidential Responsibility and "Plausible Deniability"

The Iran-Contra Affairs involved concerted efforts by the executive branch to work around the restrictions and intent of Congress. “The Enterprise” was a kind of privatization of foreign policy, conducted in secret and without the balance of powers envisioned by the constitution. These transgressions were seen by many as far worse than anything that happened in Watergate. Chairman Hamilton used his closing remarks to address the significance of the rule of law and the dangers of subverting democratic processes in the name of patriotism. Given the gravity of the matter, why wasn’t President Reagan impeached? Why was there so little serious discussion of impeachment?

~

The President and Plausible Deniability

• talking politics link

~

bubble wrapped in a cocoon of half truths ...

Assuming this is true, which one certainly can't. Reagan was clearly the most beloved Republican president. Does anyone remember the Iran-Contra scandal? Can anyone recall that Gaddafi was public enemy #1 during the Reagan years? 

It seems like people have selective memories.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

What is interesting about that?

It's interesting because the freed hostage gives information that pretty much contradicts the administration's explanation of the event. The hostage said they had to remain on their plane waiting (not depart) until the 'other plane' had landed and was checked. Looks like a straight forward ransom deal to me.

Edited by Lilly
typo
  • Like 4

I'm glad those men have been released.....but saying this money was a debt owed to Iran some decades ago ? ...maybe...but it still sounds very suspicious...especially in light of the timing of the hostage release.

Idk - and why cash ?......I would like to be a fly on the wall and see what will be done with this money. Will it now be distributed to terrorist groups ? 

I find this whole thing rather disturbing - and who can trust Obama anyway - and any other government for that matter ? ^_^

16 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I'm glad those men have been released.....but saying this money was a debt owed to Iran some decades ago ? ...maybe...but it still sounds very suspicious...especially in light of the timing of the hostage release.

Idk - and why cash ?......I would like to be a fly on the wall and see what will be done with this money. Will it now be distributed to terrorist groups ? 

I find this whole thing rather disturbing - and who can trust Obama anyway - and any other government for that matter ? ^_^

It was said months ago that they were paying this money back..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

It was said months ago that they were paying this money back..

Even so... I still have my suspicions. And now they have all that lovely cash - what do you think they will do with it ?

Help the poor, neglected and needy of their country ?

3 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Even so... I still have my suspicions. And now they have all that lovely cash - what do you think they will do with it ?

Help the poor, neglected and needy of their country ?

Iran is not a poor country.  $400 million hardly has an effect on their day to day activities.

12 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Iran is not a poor country.  $400 million hardly has an effect on their day to day activities.

Agree - in itself Iran isn't a poor country.....now tell the main population of Iran that.

When the workers belonging to the middle and low economic class go home in Iran the majority of them cannot even get respite from a hard day’s work, with food in their belly since a majority of them (estimated 70%) are surviving under the poverty line.

http://www.iranfocus.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30064:poverty-in-iran-reaches-new-heights&catid=4:iran-general&Itemid=109

http://iranfocus.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30424:poverty-grows-as-iranian-government-resists-change&catid=4:iran-general&Itemid=109

6 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Ok?  But do I tell you how to spend your money?  The simple fact is, IT WAS THEIR MONEY!  Do you know where that number came from?  Without Google?

Wonder how much of this money will end up going to the Clinton Foundation, just because Iran is nice and wants to help.

• Like 1

Well if they are paying Iran ransom for hostages, they got screwed big time on that deal, because Iran has still got other U.S. hostages from what I understand. Can't see them paying all that money for hostages and not getting all the hostages at the same time. That doesn't make sense.

And I guess will see if they have actually gone back on the "we don't pay terrorist money for hostages" motto, if they start paying other countries, like North Korea, ransom money for other U.S. hostages. Then there will be no doubt about it, for sure then.

I find it hard to believe that people think that if we were paying a ransom, we couldn't have done it secretly.  I mean, people still think the government orchestrated 9/11, but we couldn't get 1,000 pounds of money into Iran secretly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Ok?  But do I tell you how to spend your money?  The simple fact is, IT WAS THEIR MONEY!  Do you know where that number came from?  Without Google?

Ok so it was Iran's money that was owed to them. I do feel tho - that there was still some kind of a deal done.

As in -"We will pay you back your money - as long as you release some of our people"...

Of course Obama can't admit that...as it's known that ransoms will not be paid for the release of hostages. 

That is why the timing of the money being handed over at the same time that these men were released...well... naturally that in itself raises some questions.

So stop being so naive :rolleyes:...

18 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Ok so it was Iran's money that was owed to them. I do feel tho - that there was still some kind of a deal done.

As in -"We will pay you back your money - as long as you release some of our people"...

Of course Obama can't admit that...as it's known that ransoms will not be paid for the release of hostages. 

That is why the timing of the money being handed over at the same time that these men were released...well... naturally that in itself raises some questions.

So stop being so naive :rolleyes:...

And if that was truly the case, is that ransom?  Like, this payment was announced seven months ago.  Is it really "ransom" if you are paying someone with their own money??  This seriously baffles me because there was nothing secretive about the deal, or the sending of money to Iran.  

• Like 1