Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

evil spirit ?

Jonakand

Twice in my life I have experienced what I truly feel was a malevolent spirit.  Both situations occurred in broad day light (early afternoon)and when I was alone.  The first time I was around 10 or 11 I was just walking to my room after coming in from playing outside.  I cant remember any other specifics of the day but I do remember coming into my room and feeling a sudden shock of overwhelming fear wash over me.  This is a very distinctive feeling  which is unlike a simple feeling afraid like i used to feel when i turned out the basement lights at night and ran upstairs...this fear was far more intense...absolutely gripping where it is hard to move and all the hair in the nape of your neck stands up on end.  I remember a strong sense of being observed an malicious intent.  After an enduring moment I remember finally dashing into bed in a defensive curl, head in my pillow praying desperately for "it" to go away...Eventually it did.  Years later in my college years I visited my parents (different house) when I got there no one was home and I proceeded to open the garage door...Immediately the same sensation I experienced as a child washed over me...hair on the back of my neck again stood on end...blood drained from my face and hands...i felt very cold.  This time, now being a 200lb man I chastised myself for being afraid and reasoned that perhaps I was somehow sensing a human intruder.  I forced myself to grab a baseball bat and checked every nook and cranny of their house.  I found nothing and the experience continued for a short while before dissipating abruptly.   Has anyone else had a similar experience?  What details can you remember?

• Like 1

Yes, I have had many similar such experiences. What you are describing is a pretty standard panic attack. Since you didn't actually see any kind of entity, I think a more mundane, neuro-chemical explanation is the most reasonable here. 

• Like 3

On 05/08/2016 at 4:32 AM, Jonakand said:

Twice in my life I have experienced what I truly feel was a malevolent spirit.  Both situations occurred in broad day light (early afternoon)and when I was alone.  The first time I was around 10 or 11 I was just walking to my room after coming in from playing outside.  I cant remember any other specifics of the day but I do remember coming into my room and feeling a sudden shock of overwhelming fear wash over me.  This is a very distinctive feeling  which is unlike a simple feeling afraid like i used to feel when i turned out the basement lights at night and ran upstairs...this fear was far more intense...absolutely gripping where it is hard to move and all the hair in the nape of your neck stands up on end.  I remember a strong sense of being observed an malicious intent.  After an enduring moment I remember finally dashing into bed in a defensive curl, head in my pillow praying desperately for "it" to go away...Eventually it did.  Years later in my college years I visited my parents (different house) when I got there no one was home and I proceeded to open the garage door...Immediately the same sensation I experienced as a child washed over me...hair on the back of my neck again stood on end...blood drained from my face and hands...i felt very cold.  This time, now being a 200lb man I chastised myself for being afraid and reasoned that perhaps I was somehow sensing a human intruder.  I forced myself to grab a baseball bat and checked every nook and cranny of their house.  I found nothing and the experience continued for a short while before dissipating abruptly.   Has anyone else had a similar experience?  What details can you remember?

I once was walking in a forest alone,  and i felt exactly the same feeling,  hairs standing up on the nape of my neck.  I felt fear,  and i panicked and ran. It could have been a panick attack,  or i was sensing something,  not of this world

• Like 1

It is called imagination. Which is why people without it are rarely scared.

• Like 2

Well, I would ask if you sensed evil/maliciousness around you. Then it`s probably a demon. If it`s anything other than a chill and another feeling than fear. It`s probably spirit passing by. Then again the above could be true and seeing as if you were 10-11 it could`ve been your imagination. But if you sensed evil like I said, it probably was a demon. Anything could`ve happened around that time. Plus the recent happening, in my eyes, was some sort of demon. Nobody feels fear like that for no reason without a source. Go to a church and ask the Priest to help you in your situation. Then only could you be "freed" from this demon.

Jonakand, demons are the furthest thing from the most logical explanation, and the last thing you should worry about in my opinion. Several studies have been done to explain why we find ourselves in situations where we sense a presence (be it a good or evil one) and one explanation could be the 'sensed-presence' effect. It's amazing the tricks our brain can play on us when we're tired, sleep deprived, etc. The following article provides a brief explanation. You might also out of interest want to look up 'third man effect' to get an even deeper understanding of how the brain can create the sensation of another presence.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-sensed-presence-effect/

Anyway, this is one possible explanation. I hope it helps.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Clair, I read the article it was informative in many ways. 

• Like 1

The most logical answer is that is a space alien shadow demon. Because rationally explaining things is just too boring.

• Like 2

I would ordinarily chalk it up to a panic attack...but it was distinctly different in that it was abrupt in coming and going.  There was no lack of sleep involved.  The time and locations of the events were not scary in any way...Both times were familiar places and both times were mid day, sun brightly shining and was in a good mood till the sensation of terror hit me like a bus.  But thank you for the responses.  I come from a christian background so I admit demons are a part of my belief system however, basically all religions include malevolent spiritual entities.  The naturalist response that there is a physical cause for everything ignores the fact that these responses could be caused by something as opposed to the cause of something and also assumes that everyone throughout history and from every culture who have had supernatural experiences have all been wrong or ignorant.  

"Whatever its cause, the fact that it happens under so many different conditions tells us that the presence is inside the head and not outside the body.-The sensed presence effect-

The fact that an event occurs in many different conditions in no way tells us that it is inside the head, except in so far as everyone who has experienced this has a head and all experiences are related to us through our mind and senses.  In contrast I would suggest that the variety of conditions suggests that it is not something brought about by certain conditions but can happen anywhere or anytime and therefore is actually more likely to be something out side of ourselves. 

Do you think it could be your Christian belief system that may contribute to your ideas regarding demons or something paranormal happening to you?  I've often wondered what the ratio is between people who are Christian vs Non-Christian who look at the whole picture from a logical/scientific perspective.  Has anyone else wondered this?   ;)Perhaps it is just me.

19 hours ago, Jonakand said:

"Whatever its cause, the fact that it happens under so many different conditions tells us that the presence is inside the head and not outside the body.-The sensed presence effect-

The fact that an event occurs in many different conditions in no way tells us that it is inside the head, except in so far as everyone who has experienced this has a head and all experiences are related to us through our mind and senses.  In contrast I would suggest that the variety of conditions suggests that it is not something brought about by certain conditions but can happen anywhere or anytime and therefore is actually more likely to be something out side of ourselves. 

?????  Fair dinkum, mate, you do realise that you completely contradicted yourself in that first sentence...  Thing is, and let's keep this brief and simple as it IS - we know that psychological effects like the 'sensed presence' exist - you just admitted it.  They are real, documented, and also easily explainable in terms of what brains do, and indeed what they are designed (by evolution and survival of the species) to do. 

Can you not spot the next part of that logical progression? (I'm not going to bother to elaborate as it will clearly fall on deaf ears...)

Oh, and you should probably research panic attacks a little more thoroughly before handwaving them away as not applicable, on the basis of your shallow knowledge..

• Like 5

Jonakand, your experience quite strangely resembles one of my friends experience, which first occurred when he was between the age of 9-11 years old. And his second experienced occurred when he was around 22 years old.

His doctor explained to him that what he twice experienced were panic attacks.

Gathering everything that you mentioned in your OP, I personally don't think your experiences are related to anything of the Paranormal.

Maybe, it would be appropriate for you to inform your doctor about these panic attacks.

Edited by Hudds