Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we really in the "End of Days?"

Alan McDougall

danielost, you're making it very hard to take your cult seriously.

• Like 4

On 8/14/2016 at 7:22 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

I think students in schools should be made aware of the theory of Intelligent Design, to know that there exist a scientific alternative to Neo-Darwinism. I'm not saying it should be taught INSTEAD of evolution, but simply mentionned as another avenue. What harm could it do?

Intelligent design is as far from a scientific theory as it can possibly be, and it is not a scientific alternative to evolution. Comparing ID to anything scientific is a joke and only those with no knowledge of neither science nor evolution would even state such, and all it amounts to is a parade of ignorance. It could do lots of harm, but I don't expect that to be understood in the slightest by you.

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 3

On 8/16/2016 at 0:24 PM, MWoo7 said:

Digressing a tad , again a slight deviation here and messing up the train and flow of ponderings however, hmmm I'm sure you know Aristotle, and how Galileo proved him wrong. I'm asking a question::::::::: If you took a C-130 ah any HUGE TRANSPORT or whatever up to the edge of the atmosphere and had a metal ball with a pin hole in it (2 Large balls the same size, sorry to mess up the flow here), anywayzzz one metal ball has any number of metals greater or heavier > than Lead inside it .... or just Lead.

The other with aluminum/feathers whatever something light.  NOw some seven year olds might say "yeah but you couldn't get the feathers in the ball" or drag or vacuum oh please.

Kind of missing the point.

Anyway, I've brought laws and various other curious items up at lectures etc. regarding mathematics, it was always whatever was in their bible/books was correct end of discussion.

Back to my thought of objects .. clones regarding size, of different weight , falling at differences in speed.  Regardless of the old drag and vacuum discussions for in a vacuum the speeds might even be exponentially different given unlimited distances.

Your thoughts?

I have been in a Herc, but sorry, not sure if I am following you here......

Are you saying there is a difference in speed over great distance according to mass? If I am getting you then no, force is what counts here. The 'weight' of an object is the force acting on it. The acting force makes the difference as we see in E=MC2. Energy is proportionally variable. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:22 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

I think students in schools should be made aware of the theory of Intelligent Design, to know that there exist a scientific alternative to Neo-Darwinism. I'm not saying it should be taught INSTEAD of evolution, but simply mentionned as another avenue. What harm could it do?

The Supreme Court has ruled that religion CAN be taught in public schools.  Courses like Comparative Religion and even courses specifically designed for a particular sect (like the Religious Right) are acceptable IF no one is forced to take the course and it is not presented as the one-and-only legitimate belief system.

By the same token, ID and Creationism are RELIGIOUS ideas.  They can be taught in a religion class, but do not belong in a science class.  Reproducing the thinking behind ID and Creationism is a pretty good way to convince most people that they aren't true.

Doug

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:50 PM, MWoo7 said:

Now I'm not an anarchist but maybe some of the existentialists In a way might have it right especially in the coming years....  to hell with morals, ethics and values and if it gets that far .... ha! well --- THEN we deserve exactly what we get in the next decade.

Sounds like you should read "The Ethical ****:"  https://biblioteca-alternativa.noblogs.org/files/2011/03/ebooksclub.org__The_Ethical_Slut__A_Guide_to_Infinite_Sexual_Possibilities.pdf  But be careful.  This is an easy article to take the wrong way.  Read it carefully and don't let the authors' gender preferences throw you.  The essence is that there are many different models for relationships and that they are all equally valid.  A sexual relationship can include multiple partners (but doesn't have to) and can be done in a moral and ethical way.

Different subject:  the humanist view of ethics is that they are people-centered, not god-centered.  Something is "good" or "bad" by the way it affects people.

Still another subject:  Jesus said, "Where there is love, there am I also."  One need only remember and act on this statement to be a moral and ethical person.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hearing that we are presently in the "end of days" for 30 some years...

My thoughts on the subject are that life is difficult and people cling to the idea that someone will rescue them from it any second now...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, karmakazi said:

I've been hearing that we are presently in the "end of days" for 30 some years...

Acid rain.  Global warming.  Global cooling.  Asteroid strikes.  Running out of oil.  Nuclear war.  Pandemics.  Super volcanoes.  The list of concerns and outright lies is large, it's been an interesting 30 years.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Acid rain.  Global warming.  Global cooling.  Asteroid strikes.  Running out of oil.  Nuclear war.  Pandemics.  Super volcanoes.  The list of concerns and outright lies is large, it's been an interesting 30 years.

I was referring to the biblical based ones, hadn't even thought about all of those!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, karmakazi said:

I was referring to the biblical based ones, hadn't even thought about all of those!

Ha. :) 

We been in "the last days" since Jesus arrived on scene 1,000s of years ago. And it would appear as if "the last days" keep getting extended every passing year. Just like Christ's second coming.

• Like 4

The end of days?  The earth has been here 3.5 billion years.  It ain't goin' anyplace any time soon.  The question is whether we'll be on it.

Doug

• Like 2

15 hours ago, An Urban Leg3nd said:

We been in "the last days" since Jesus arrived on scene 1,000s of years ago. And it would appear as if "the last days" keep getting extended every passing year. Just like Christ's second coming.

The longer the end is put off, through biblical or psuedo-scientific bullocks, the more money that can be fleeced from the naive.

• Like 1

If we every start to terraform and colonize planets. We they still be saying that Jesus is coming and we are in the end days?

Wouldn't it be great if each of the religions got their own world. To do as they pleased.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Wouldn't it be great if each of the religions got their own world. To do as they pleased.

I claim this world for the Norse, then.

• Like 2

Okay thanks for the two bits there on my digressing from topic quick, thought, Psyche.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:15 PM, psyche101 said:

If I am getting you then no, force is what counts here. The 'weight' of an object is the force acting on it.

....I got it .... no difference in speed, with, Russian Transport up close to the atmosphere's edge, giant ball filled with gold other with air and there's no difference in the first 10,000 feet ... oooookay.

Thank you.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Acid rain:  That was pretty much solved with regulations implemented by the EPA (and others) under the Environmental Protection Act which was passed in 1972.  That hasn't really been an issue in the last 30 years.  But when it was:  I toured Kellogg, Idaho - hills denuded of vegetation by acid from the smelters.  Same story in the Black Forest.  Less so in the Ohio Valley.  In the 1980s I was part of a team that traced "yellow-spot disease" in pines to acid from Mexican factories.  It was a long battle, but we won it.

Global warming:  still a problem and getting worse.  Somewhere between 300 and 500 years left at the current rate.  But I think we'll turn it around.  There are lots of encouraging signs which I have enumerated on UM before.

Global cooling:  The actual cooling ended in the late 1960s and there wasn't much of that.  Where have you been since then?

Asteroid strikes:  An unknown quantity until recently.  The first one we know of with a decent chance of hitting earth is Apophis in 2036.  But the astronomers tell us to quit worrying about it; it's a long shot at best.  If you want to worry about something, worry about one coming from behind the sun.  We wouldn't see it until it was too late to do anything.  But the odds are really slim.  I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Running out of oil:  We passed peak oil in 1970.  By 2030 we should be about in the same place, per capita, as we were in 1930.  That's without the Baaken and a couple other big finds which will extend the supply another 20 years.  Fracking can extend it too, and probably will.  But sooner or later, we have a problem:  unless we figure out what to do with waste CO2, we will poison the planet.  And we can't just make things out of it without figuring out what to do with the by-products.  The solution:  leave it in the ground.  And, thus, we will never run out of oil.

Nuclear war:  we've had two or three near misses.  US military folks tell us they wonder how we made it through the Cold War without an accidental detonation.  The US has lost 11 nuclear bombs.  In several cases, they have a pretty good idea where they are (buried in the mud), but there are a few that are just plain lost.  It's not nuclear war that worries me - it is nuclear accidents, especially the accidental detonation of a nuclear weapon.  The Air Force's assurances that they haven't killed us yet, are not very reassuring.

Pandemics:  AIDS is the big one and has been so since Ronald Reagan decided not to fight it because it only affected bad people (He later apologized, after it was too late to stop it.).  Most of the world still has little or no access to drugs.  In a good part of Africa, Central America and southeast Asia, AIDS is still a death sentence.  A vaccine may be on the horizon, but let's wait and see before we get our hopes up.  Ebola was a fizzle.  Didn't live up to the science fiction novels.  Flu, except for bird flu, is being controlled with vaccines.  Flu undergoes recombination rather easily.  A new and deadly strain is possible at almost any time.  Bird flu is still considered a major risk.  There is a strain of bird flue that should be on the edge of starting a global pandemic, but it isn't.  Nobody knows why.  If you want to worry about something:  we have already had a release of Marburg virus inside the Washington beltway.  CDC jumped on that and caught it.  There was also a release in Europe that was caught.  But the question remains:  when are we not going to jump on it in time?

Super volcanoes:  we'd have a thousand year advance warning if one was getting ready to blow.  As of now, none are.  This is probably at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.

Doug 

2 minutes ago, LostSouls7 said:

The answer is No. This was a simple one!

Where was this 11 pages ago?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...