Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

May I suggest a project for the board?

Hanslune

He hasn't published any book, and he may not be well known out of France, but you may want to add Jacques Grimault, the man behind the film "Revelation of the Pyramids"; he is probably the first and foremost pyramidiot in France presently.

25 minutes ago, Irna said:

He hasn't published any book, and he may not be well known out of France, but you may want to add Jacques Grimault, the man behind the film "Revelation of the Pyramids"; he is probably the first and foremost pyramidiot in France presently.

Done

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Anybody else? Any need to note the names of the 17 & 18th century folks who were coming up with weird stuff?

That's trickier to consider. John Taylor and Piazzi Smythe would certainly be in there for their loony "pyramid inch" and biblical connections. But these were highly educated and respected academics in their time, and were simply working against a wide dearth in academic understanding. People simply didn't know better, in other words. The same would go for the very early scholars who advocated for the "mother culture" idea. I don't condemn them because they just didn't know better and there was no research as of yet to show them why they were wrong. I do, however, call to task the modern people who still think the ideas of these very early scholars are relevant and continue to cite their wackiness even today (as we repeatedly see at UM).

So the modern fringe wackadoos in your list should definitely be included for these and a myriad of other intellectual offenses. It's a good list, by the way. I read through it and can't think of additions off the top of my head. The only exception that comes to mind is Moustafa Gadalla and his Pyramid Handbook, in which he advocates the Great Pyramid was built to accumulate and generate certain psychic powers (can't remember the particulars). He's fringe to the extreme but probably not well known to most readers here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Done

LOL I totally forgot Grimault. I didn't know about him until I read this nice Jason Colavito article. In it he gives attribution to a site called Le site d'Irna.

Hm. Irna. Why's that familiar? :D

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 3:19 PM, kmt_sesh said:

This is...well...highly entertaining.

Why have none of the "believers" posted?

Apparently the name and purpose of the website you are moderator at has escaped your attention.  Maybe you and your buddies should get points for realizing the name of this site is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES.  Think about the meaning of those two words; first separately, then put together.  Then people's theories that don't automatically get the peer-reviewed stamp of approval might be more acceptable to you?  Otherwise maybe moderate a site called "there is nothing new under the sun"?

Also note: the name of this subforum is Ancient MYSTERIES & ALTERNATIVE History.

Edited by SSilhouette

1 hour ago, SSilhouette said:

Apparently the name and purpose of the website you are moderator at has escaped your attention.  Maybe you and your buddies should get points for realizing the name of this site is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES.  Think about the meaning of those two words; first separately, then put together.  Then people's theories that don't automatically get the peer-reviewed stamp of approval might be more acceptable to you?  Otherwise maybe moderate a site called "there is nothing new under the sun"?

Also note: the name of this subforum is Ancient MYSTERIES & ALTERNATIVE History.

We are all well aware of the name SSihouette. We look at things that are mysterious and 'might be's' of alternative history. What would you have us do other than discuss these? Make believe most of the mysteries are not really mysterious and that they are real? There are lot of valid mysteries but those don't get mentioned much because they are swept over and buried by a continual deluge of standard fringe belief.

Kmt I'll add Gadalla does anyone know if Pye ever got into Egyptology?

Edited by Hanslune

Ssilhouette, how do YOU determine when something is Unexplained, and therefore a Mystery?

Do you need think music?

2 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

SS, what Hanslune and ChrLzs said.

There are tons of mysteries still out there, but as noted, few real mysteries are brought up and discussed. What I tend to see instead is fringe misunderstandings of historical events and attempts to paint them as mysterious when the mystery doesn't really exist.

This is not the fault of those of us who've spent years studying history and understand it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

...  the name of this site is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES.  Think about the meaning of those two words; first separately, then put together. ...

So are you saying that, if something can be explained, it can't (by definition) be a mystery, so shouldn't be a discussion topic here at all?

And, if something is posted here, it should (by definition) remain a mystery, and no effort should be made to explain it?

In which case, what are people to talk about?  Are they supposed to just hold up their hands in amazement and gasp in admiration at the wonders of all those 19th century giants in North America, pyramids in unlikely spots, locations of Atlantis in even more unlikely spots, Giza pyramids built according to ancient alien blueprints, etc?

• Like 3

I would say that the greatest mystery we have on earth is how humans who presently exhibit repeated and painfully exquisite examples of being brain dead in most of their present day activities made our current civilization.

I suspect aliens and or breakfast cereal are the reasons for this conundrum.

Back to the THUD - right now its a bit too long and a 'wall of text' would there be a better way to organize format it?

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Back to the THUD - right now its a bit too long and a 'wall of text' would there be a better way to organize format it?

Several of the entries you've collated into others to reduce the number could be listed under those broader headings as individual categories of same, labeled A, B, C, etc. May not cut the length but it'd be a bit neater.

30 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Several of the entries you've collated into others to reduce the number could be listed under those broader headings as individual categories of same, labeled A, B, C, etc. May not cut the length but it'd be a bit neater.

Maybe organize by  broad categories:

Evidence, beliefs, ideas, presentation, discussion, conclusions, sources and misc?

Edited by Hanslune

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Maybe organize by  broad categories:

Evidence, beliefs, ideas, presentation, discussion, conclusions, sources and misc?

That's an option for the whole thing I suppose.  I was thinking specifically of some of the things you had to cram in together under one entry.

Edit: Might actually make it possible to reorganize and stick more things under other entries the same way.

Edited by Oniomancer

11 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I suspect aliens and or breakfast cereal are the reasons for this conundrum.

Don't say that! I eat cereal every morning. I must start my day with my Cheerios.

And I know plenty of aliens...oh, you probably mean space aliens. I know far fewer of those.

18 hours ago, Windowpane said:

So are you saying that, if something can be explained, it can't (by definition) be a mystery, so shouldn't be a discussion topic here at all?

Let us not forget that in many cases it means "I haven't heard any explanations but I read on the Internet that it's a Mystery" - coupled with a lack of information on how to tell a real mystery from a lazy batch of repeated comments that date back to 1840. 

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Don't say that! I eat cereal every morning. I must start my day with my Cheerios.

And I know plenty of aliens...oh, you probably mean space aliens. I know far fewer of those.

Oooh!  I love Cheerios!!

On 8/21/2016 at 2:07 AM, Windowpane said:

And, if something is posted here, it should (by definition) remain a mystery, and no effort should be made to explain it?

In which case, what are people to talk about?  Are they supposed to just hold up their hands in amazement and gasp in admiration at the wonders of all those 19th century giants in North America, pyramids in unlikely spots, locations of Atlantis in even more unlikely spots, Giza pyramids built according to ancient alien blueprints, etc?

Eggggsszactly my points as well.  They know this site is called "unexplained mysteries" and this forum called Ancient MYSTERIES & ALTERNATIVE history.  "Alternative" means "not the agreed upon story".  Yet just try to post a thread about something academia hasn't nailed down and offer your insights.  Good luck!

Except you keep posting well understood hoaxes and misrepresentations of known things, or well debunked claims of not fully understood bits of history. 

And then get angry when these so called unexplained mysteries prove to not be so unexplained.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

Eggggsszactly my points as well.  They know this site is called "unexplained mysteries" and this forum called Ancient MYSTERIES & ALTERNATIVE history.  "Alternative" means "not the agreed upon story".  Yet just try to post a thread about something academia hasn't nailed down and offer your insights.

Well, don't keep us all hanging in anticipation...  WHAT HAPPENS if you do that????  Don't tell me that people actually start debating and discussing, perhaps even disagreeing and offering information that proves claims (in)correct ... you know, that 'discussiony' sorta stuff...  Surely they wouldn't dare do such a thing!!!! This is a discussion forum after all!!!

Excuse my sarcasm.   BTW, SS, did you not notice that Windowpane was actually arguing against your post?  You might want to read it again...  But good on you for fighting both sides of the debate simultaneously...

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Well, don't keep us all hanging in anticipation...  WHAT HAPPENS if you do that????  Don't tell me that people actually start debating and discussing, perhaps even disagreeing and offering information that proves claims (in)correct ... you know, that 'discussiony' sorta stuff...  Surely they wouldn't dare do such a thing!!!! This is a discussion forum after all!!!

Excuse my sarcasm.   BTW, SS, did you not notice that Windowpane was actually arguing against your post?  You might want to read it again...  But good on you for fighting both sides of the debate simultaneously...

Try posting a thread postulating that there was a great violent flood/erosion event in the Northwest Sahara Desert (something the 'experts' scoff at) as an ALTERNATIVE description of the Sahara's current geography.  Post photos that back up your theory showing obvious erosion patterns evident from satellite images and a huge mud deposit in the Atlantic Ocean just off the notch in the country of Mauritania on the coast of upper West Africa.  Discuss it at length.  See what happens to your thread and how long it lasts before it is locked or deleted.  Be sure to wear a flack jacket before you post it though.

That's just one example.  Mass ridicule for introducing ALTERNATIVE descriptions of historical events are common fare around here.

Edited by SSilhouette

20 hours ago, shadowsot said:

Except you keep posting well understood hoaxes and misrepresentations of known things, or well debunked claims of not fully understood bits of history. 

And then get angry when these so called unexplained mysteries prove to not be so unexplained.

But they are ALTERNATIVE to "known things".  Even if you consider them "well debunked" (by you and your crew here), they are still viable ALTERNATIVE theories unless the larger academic world outside this website has definitively lowered the hammer on.   Your crew approaches EVERY topic in the same way "We have decide such and such is so and so and therefore your ALTERNATIVE theory is wholly unacceptable.  This thread will be now closed."  And that's that.  Deny it.

15 minutes ago, SSilhouette said:

But they are ALTERNATIVE to "known things".  Even if you consider them "well debunked" (by you and your crew here), they are still viable ALTERNATIVE theories unless the larger academic world outside this website has definitively lowered the hammer on.   Your crew approaches EVERY topic in the same way "We have decide such and such is so and so and therefore your ALTERNATIVE theory is wholly unacceptable.  This thread will be now closed."  And that's that.  Deny it.

Please do not misrepresent the Moderator staff. None of us have ever closed a thread because "we" have "decided" such and such to be the case. Threads are closed for behavioral problems, for rule violations, because the OP isn't participating and the discussion is going nowhere, or because the OP himself/herself has asked us to close it and we agree there's cause to do so.

Much more common is to remove posts. I should be removing yours because you're not participating, you're only whining.

• Like 3

Indeed he is.

If by my crew, SSilhouette, you mean actual historians, archaeologists, and geologists, and so forth who actual study these things then I am glad to be in such company.

You are not a special little snow flake. Your ideas do not get special dispensation to not be criticized or gained over. 

The thread you mentioned is available to be viewed, and your lack of understanding of geology can be seen. 

More, your immature handling of the criticism you receive and refusal to listen to information given can be seen. 

• Like 2