Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus DID exist and this is the REAL story

seeder

Jesus DID exist and this is the REAL story

JESUS Christ did exist, new evidence shows, but his real role is still under much debate.

The figure is either one regarding the most famous man who has ever lived, or one of the best works of fiction ever created.

Some 2,000 years later, experts are still unsure whether Jesus Christ was a real man whose myth exceeded the real thing, or whether he was a fabrication – a story designed to either make people more peaceful, or to simply control the masses.

However, there is evidence Jesus – the supposed son of God – was a real man who lived, but how did he become interpreted as a divine being?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/699466/Jesus-DID-exist-and-this-is-the-REAL-story

• Like 3

Ah I am not religious, but do believe a man like Jesus did exist. Now lets move onto the real story, 

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

the supposed son of God

hmmmm...? 

me thinks a bit of a Jeremy Kyle story going on there. Shame DNA testing came too late.

• Like 2

The article seems very sloppy about its facts.

The sole surviving account of first century Judea, the 'War of the Jews' by Josephus, a first-century Romano-Jewish scholar and historian, does mention Jesus specifically on several occasions, including that of his brother.

Both purported mentions of Jesus are in the Antiquities (written in the 90's), not the War (mid-70's). Neither is uncontroversial. Personally, I think the mention of James in Book 20 originally referred to a different Jesus as his brother (there are two Jesuses in the story line where James is mentioned).

The mention of Christly Jesus in Book 18 is obviously faked - a monk's fantasy about what a Jew could be made to say under duress. On the question of whether Josephus wrote anything at all there, I think he did - that Jesus was the reputed founder of the newsworthy-in-the-nineties Christian cult. Tacitus makes a similar comment about 20 years later. My belief that Tacitus used Josephus as a source is why I think there actually was something about Christians in Antiquities. The something was, IMO, what Christians believed about their origins, not whether what they believed was accurate.

Following James’ execution, ...

James and co-defendants were condemned to death by an illegal gathering of the Sanhedrin. The situation was promptly brought to the attention of both the king and the Roman governor. The king sacked the high priest (appointing one of the two Jesuses to replace him); the gov ended up taking bribes from the deposed high priest. Josephus doesn't bother to mention whether or not the sentences were ever carried out.

Nothing about the James ossuary is from Josephus.

Though a few books have recently argued that Jesus never existed, the evidence that he did is persuasive to the vast majority of scholars, whether Christian or non-Christian.

So was the evidence for Newton's Laws, and before that for Ptolemaic astronomy. So what?

As to Atwill, we have a thread about him in the unsheltered forum,

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/297193-story-of-jesus-christ-was-a-hoax/

Same OP as this thread.

The quotes from Borg seem to come from this 5 year-old interview on Live Science

http://www.livescience.com/13711-jesus-christ-man-physical-evidence-hold.html

Odd to be rehashing old quote tailings, when there's actual scholarship to discuss.

Edited by eight bits
Quote boxes are Satan's playground.
  • Like 3

I don't see the evidence here either, but this is how I consider Jesus the actual man.

It wasn’t until after his death that Jesus was called a ‘messiah’, and Mr Borg believes that the remembrance of his teachings got out of hand – and this is where the true story of Jesus became clouded by legend.

Mr Borg said: “Historically he did not 'die for the sins of the world’, but he was killed by the powers that ruled his world.

Mr Borg added Jesus likely considered himself a prophet, but post-death, titles such as “messiah, Son of God, Lord, and so forth are probably post-Easter affirmations by his followers [and] testimonies to the significance that he had come to have in their lives.

From the OP's link.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/

Jesus did exist :)

So did Charlie Brown. ;)

images (5).jpg

• Like 4

Just now, davros of skaro said:

So did Charlie Brown. ;)

images (5).jpg

ok davros
  I get it ,but a man named Jesus also existed.

• Like 1

Just now, docyabut2 said:

ok davros
  I get it ,but a man named Jesus also existed. Jesus son of Joseph.

• Like 1

Poor old davros still fighting his Jesus demons ! Is there no peace for the poor fella ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

I get it ,but a man named Jesus also existed. Jesus son of Joseph.

Indeed...

DECONSTRUCTING THE SECOND AND HOPEFULLY LAST COMING OF SIMCHA AND THE BAR CROWD

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/7224.htm

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seeder said:

Do you mind sharing your thoughts about it? I think you are a believer in God but not everyone has the same understanding of God . I didn't know how to understand God and Jesus as one in the same but I do now and it didn't just happen overnight that that was revealed to me. lol do you understand what I'm asking ?

Presumably we are all one, no exceptions. But it is hard in the seeing. In God, all distinctions are resolved. 

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

I actually understand that and it's in God that all things are revealed but it's pretty basic the question which is really do you believe that Jesus is God?

1 minute ago, Ellapennella said:

I actually understand that and it's in God that all things are revealed but it's pretty basic the question which is really do you believe that Jesus is God?

Only if everyone is.

Just now, Habitat said:

Only if everyone is.

difference though  is in the DNA . Jesus had to be perfect without the sin that is in all of us but not him. For instance , water holds memory right? and sin begets sin and so on right? the DNA must hold memory except only God The All Mighty God would have miraculously chosen to implant Mary ,  in order for Jesus, of God to be born without sin.

No good preaching to people if they don't have the inbuilt "it". All must have it, however well hidden.

• Like 1

Whether or not a person existed who was the core of the Jesus myths actually existed is doubtful and not important.  That the Jesus myths are just myths is relatively easy for anyone who looks into it objectively to discern.  Personally I don't think the topic of any particular interest, any more than the idea that Brahma is God, or Heracles, for that matter.

Any God or gods that are "out there" don't do a very good job of making their presence known, since it is always subjective testimony.  They would also be just as subject to the laws of existence as anything else, and therefore just speculation.  On another thread I see similar speculation about travel through black holes.

• Like 1

I'm not being a preacher. I'm just having a discussion, is all. The Holy Spirit of God was not  here on the earth until after the crucifixion. The Holy Spirit of God is  Jesus.

I look at the teaching of the Trinity as something borrowed from other religions (probably the Egyptian Horus, Isis and somebody else I forget -- with the Holy Ghost invented and taking Mary's role because many early Christians were misogynistic).  The details of all this is something where Christians are a bit unique since they have been so eager to kill each other them.  Is it just one person or three persons, do they share the same nature or the same body or the same mind or what?  

As the central doctrine of Christianity, it is odd the word "Trinity" appears nowhere in the Bible.

And, I know why it is said that the unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. No One comes to the father Jesus taught except by way of him.

6 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

And, I know why it is said that the unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. No One comes to the father Jesus taught except by way of him.

Jesus is the firstborn of God. Jesus is an instrument that is God's glory. No other creation of God can call themselves God except Jesus, yet he's not fully God.

Just imagine a Castle surrounded by a moat. The King wants you in his Kingdom, but he left this task to the drawbridge operator to let you in, or not. The thing is the drawbridge operator has the wisdom of the King.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I look at the teaching of the Trinity as something borrowed from other religions (probably the Egyptian Horus, Isis and somebody else I forget -- with the Holy Ghost invented and taking Mary's role because many early Christians were misogynistic).  The details of all this is something where Christians are a bit unique since they have been so eager to kill each other them.  Is it just one person or three persons, do they share the same nature or the same body or the same mind or what?  

As the central doctrine of Christianity, it is odd the word "Trinity" appears nowhere in the Bible.

The Trinity is a later development. I used to think it was Pagan via Egyptian Trinity, but it's not. It's Pagan in that Gods are too lofty to do lower Earthly works, and sends lower divinities to do them. It's the same thing with a monotheistic bent.

For example a prayer, or offering for a God is received by a divine messenger. The messenger delivers it to it's assigned God.

• Like 1