Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery object found orbiting backwards

Ozfactor

3 hours ago, exojjl said:

Technically speaking there are actually about 19 planets so far including Pluto and the objects beyond Pluto that are bigger than Pluto itself. Niku is about 1/6 the size of Pluto.

Technically speaking there are exactly eight known planets in the solar system.

There are also 5 confirmed dwarf planets:

1. Ceres
  2. Pluto
  3. Haumea
  4. MakeMake
  5. Eris

There are also numerous possible dwarf planets of which 6 are considered near certainties by the leading expert, Mike Brown:

1. Orcus
  2. 2002 MS4
  3. Salacia
  4. Quaora
  5. 2007 OR10
  6. Sedna

It is believed that there could be up to 200 dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt and scattered disc and that there could be more than 10,000 it the Oort cloud is included.

Given the facts it is very difficult to see where yo got the figure of "about 19" planets from.

Incidentally no know dwarf planet is bigger than Pluto.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, exojjl said:

You didn't read what I said. I referred to Triton, the moon, as a satellite. I already know satellites orbits planets. I learned that in the 5th grade. Thank you for being confused at what I said *snip*

Welcome to UM exojjl,

As a 4 hour old member, with all of 9 posts so far, you might want to take it a little easier. There are many members on here with a great amount of knowledge on specific (or multiple) topics; so it's worth being a bit more liberal.
By all means, have an opinion. But you will quickly lose respect and credibility if you don't argue/discuss in a respectable manner. You should not take other arguments or corrections offensively, but rather use them as an opportunity to clarify your position or provide further arguments.

Anyways, enjoy your time here.

Edited by rashore
edited quoted content.
  • Like 2

I would suppose that Niku is in reverse orbit because it entered the Sol planetary scheme as ejecti of an explosion somewhere else in the Milky Way. It is orbiting in the wrong direction because it entered at such an angle and speed that gravity hasn't been able to slow it down yet. It should, aeons in the future, eventually reach a motionless state then reverse into the correct direction. That is my theorum.

14 hours ago, exojjl said:

Not that unusual. Both Venus and Uranus orbit in retrograde motion (clockwise around the sun) as well as many other satellites like Neptune's moon Triton. What I think is unusual is the rest of the planets (including Earth) who orbit prograde (counter clockwise.) Niku is rare, but not really unusual.

No planet ever found (except this one) has a retrograde orbit, though some comets do.

Venus and Uranus have retrograde rotations.

Harte

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Does the time go backwards on this planet?

47 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Does the time go backwards on this planet?

Is that a serious question?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Is that a serious question?

You'd hope not !

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, Zalmoxis said:

I would suppose that Niku is in reverse orbit because it entered the Sol planetary scheme as ejecti of an explosion somewhere else in the Milky Way. It is orbiting in the wrong direction because it entered at such an angle and speed that gravity hasn't been able to slow it down yet. It should, aeons in the future, eventually reach a motionless state then reverse into the correct direction. That is my theorum.

if it stops moving it will lose its orbit.

18 hours ago, danielost said:

if it stops moving it will lose its orbit.

Then what happens? Won't gravity pick it up and push it along?

8 minutes ago, Zalmoxis said:

Then what happens? Won't gravity pick it up and push it along?

yes, but it will fall toward the sun first.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, danielost said:

yes, but it will fall toward the sun first.

Then it won't quit moving it will curve towards the sun as it gets slower then *splash!* right into the lava. Something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

Then it won't quit moving it will curve towards the sun as it gets slower then *splash!* right into the lava. Something like that.

It was you that claimed it WOULD stop moving.

Firstly an object in orbit will remain in that orbit unless an outside force acts on it, It will not simply slow down or stop.

Without interactions with other objects, such as planets it will not slow down, " eventually reach a motionless state then reverse into the correct direction" it as you claimed.

• Thanks 1

On 15 August 2016 at 2:05 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Technically speaking there are exactly eight known planets in the solar system.

There are also 5 confirmed dwarf planets:

1. Ceres
  2. Pluto
  3. Haumea
  4. MakeMake
  5. Eris

There are also numerous possible dwarf planets of which 6 are considered near certainties by the leading expert, Mike Brown:

1. Orcus
  2. 2002 MS4
  3. Salacia
  4. Quaora
  5. 2007 OR10
  6. Sedna

It is believed that there could be up to 200 dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt and scattered disc and that there could be more than 10,000 it the Oort cloud is included.

Given the facts it is very difficult to see where yo got the figure of "about 19" planets from.

Incidentally no know dwarf planet is bigger than Pluto.

Hey waspie. You missed an 'n' off of known?

• The title was changed to Mystery object found orbiting backwards