Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greenland shark lives at least 272 years

Still Waters

There is a shakeup in the list of the world's longest-lived animals, as researchers have just determined that Greenland sharks live to be at least 272 years old, making them the vertebrates -- animals with a backbone or spinal column -- with the longest-known life expectancy.

Like an Olympic race for longevity, the Greenland sharks now exceed other incredibly long-lived animals, such as bowhead whales and tortoises. The findings, reported in the journal Science, indicate that the large, carnivorous sharks could even live much longer than 272 years.

http://www.seeker.com/this-shark-lives-at-least-272-years-1968629990.html

• Like 9

Research needs to done to find out why these animals can live so long. Perhaps we can learn things that may help us to live longer healthier lives.

• Like 3

WOW. Possibly able to live more then 500 years. That really is amazing.
I had watched a documentary about them a few years back and it saying that they are very lethargic, continuously grow through out their long lives. But 300 to 500 years is pretty cool.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Why not said:

WOW. Possibly able to live more then 500 years. That really is amazing.
I had watched a documentary about them a few years back and it saying that they are very lethargic, continuously grow through out their long lives. But 300 to 500 years is pretty cool.

The fact that they are lethargic is probably one reason they live as long as they do as a low metabolic rate can increase their life span. Also in their favor is the cold water as cold has been shown to activate anti-aging genes. What's amazing is that the sharks who have actually lived that long managed to do so in an often hostile environment.

Source: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/08/greenland-shark-may-live-400-years-smashing-longevity-record

• Like 4

? live longer lives? maybe more oxygen and bit less electromagnetic radiation pounding at us, I recently seen some ? I think it was ultra-violet or such pictures on peoples faces, likely a promo for give me give me $$$$$$$$$ but it was interesting/enlightening.  My two bits!*_*! bye-bye-now

• Like 2

@Clair - when you're one of the preditors and don't kill your own can't hurt either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lilly said:

Research needs to done to find out why these animals can live so long. Perhaps we can learn things that may help us to live longer healthier lives.

Being near the top of the food chain probably doesnt hurt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Top of food chain helped YEY! good point NNNNnicolette, ah hmmmm was that luck or did a wipe out in the Cambrian era or whatever age help out a bit, curious sponges need to know.

Edited by MWoo7
added [ a ]
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

...wouldn't hurt. I got this quote from the story...

"low metabolic rate, cold temperatures and limits to food supply. The shark is a very slow moving, cold-blooded species."

• Like 2

I've actually been researching these wonderful animals here lately. Their ranges seem to be expanding somewhat, so hopefully we'll be able to learn more about them. 

They typically skulk around at a rate of under 1mph and 2mph is considered a "burst of speed". Hmm...them and tortoises are some of the longest lived on the planet. There just might be something to this laziness thing, after all. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

True, but humans are at the top of the food chain as well and we don't live even close to 272 years...ever. Heck, a person is lucky to even get to 90 years.

• Like 1

this is why everyone who does sports incognito die earlier. The secret is to be letargic, less active, eat healthy, preserve your energy and organs..

It boggles the mind to think how much human life has changed in the lifespan of a single Greenland Shark. From a time when people didn't even have electricity to when we now have space travel, all in the lifetime of one shark.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I've actually been researching these wonderful animals here lately. Their ranges seem to be expanding somewhat, so hopefully we'll be able to learn more about them. 

They typically skulk around at a rate of under 1mph and 2mph is considered a "burst of speed". Hmm...them and tortoises are some of the longest lived on the planet. There just might be something to this laziness thing, after all. 

Moral being... go through life at your own pace. :)

Just to add to this topic...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Indeed it was an interesting news. When i read it,i wanted to make a comparison image for this shark.

greenland_shark_by_sameerprehistorica-da

Greenland sharks are indeed lucky animals to have an age between 512 and 272 years.

These are animals that outlive humans :

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/the-greenland-shark-meet-what-could-be-the-longest-livingvertebrate/article31386076/)

Edited by Sameerr
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 5:34 AM, khol said:

animal with longest life span ?   just give Kieth Richards a chance  

Good likeness Sameerr Shark in back for humor though. Longest life span ? yeah give Howard Stern a Chance too!  Besides women living forever, the men I've seen seem thin as a rail and are always doing something.  Also, well -- I run in to some that say such and such smoked cigars etc. didn't hurt them a bit, when someone says aaaaaaaaaah smoking and whiskey didn't slow down gr4amps or granny and they lived to one hundred and three, and you reply::::: is that right- yeah well, they would have made 150 or more if they didn't live so rough.

Edited by MWoo7
etc. NOT ect

On 8/13/2016 at 9:46 PM, Lilly said:

True, but humans are at the top of the food chain as well and we don't live even close to 272 years...ever. Heck, a person is lucky to even get to 90 years.

But Greenland sharks are cold blooded and live in near freezing water. They are born in the fridge and live their entire live in the fridge. No wonder they can last longer.

I learned of the longevity of the Greenland shark while watching River Monsters earlier this year.  Very interesting.

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM, pallidin said:

Just to add to this topic...

Thats wrong, doesnt include sponges..