Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Swimmers Robbed At Gunpoint

susieice

4 US swimmers, including 6 time Gold Medalist Ryan Lochte were robbed at gunpoint when their taxi was stopped by men posing as police. Apparently, crime has been rampant in Rio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

• Like 3

Nonetheless, on the night of the opening ceremony, the chief of security was mugged at knife-point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

hmmm...nothing should be too surprising after this opening - example of what could happen. :unsure:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

^^^^Exactly my thoughts.   

• Like 4

I'm surprised we haven't heard more of the same. Stupid idea to hold the games there in the first place.

• Like 4

Spectators leaving the stadium after the opening ceremony came across a murder that had taken place outside.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-rio-olympics-shooting-death-near-stadium-spt-20160806-story.html

Someone told me Rio was a dangerous city. I guess he was right. Enough to make you wonder how much we haven't heard about.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zenith said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard more of the same. Stupid idea to hold the games there in the first place.

Perhap$ it wa$ $tupid to have the game$ there, but there were rea$on$... After all bribe$ mu$t be paid and palm$ mu$t be grea$ed... er I mean ... I'm $ure the Olympic Committee made a $ound and fair choice...

• Like 7

Brazil Senate to Hold Final Vote on Rousseff Impeachment on August 25

Latin America
21:50 12.08.2016

A two-thirds majority will be needed for the Senate to impeach Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The Brazilian Senate will hold the final vote in two weeks on whether suspended President Dilma Rousseff should be impeached, local media reported on Friday citing Rousseff's lawyer.

~

Brazil Senate votes for impeachment trial for suspended President

By Larry Register, CNN

Updated 0658 GMT (1458 HKT) August 10, 2016

~

here we go ...

~

I'm in favor of having the games return to Athens, Greece, and be permanently hosted there.  Stop the insane bribery that goes on with the IOC.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, supervike said:

I'm in favor of having the games return to Athens, Greece, and be permanently hosted there.  Stop the insane bribery that goes on with the IOC.  

The 'Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel' that recently highlighted the IOC was eye opening and jaw dropping. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taun said:

Perhap$ it wa$ $tupid to have the game$ there, but there were rea$on$... After all bribe$ mu$t be paid and palm$ mu$t be grea$ed... er I mean ... I'm $ure the Olympic Committee made a $ound and fair choice...

Lol....$ was what i thought off, but i could not have put it better than this. :tu:

• Like 1

Permanent $ummer Games in Athens, permanent Winter Game$ in Canada.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Permanent $ummer Games in Athens, permanent Winter Game$ in Canada.

Norway. What is Canada, anyway?...:whistle:

• Like 1

A Brazilian Judge ordered two US swimmers not to leave Brazil because of an ongoing investigation into the robbery. It seems Ryan Lochte is already here in the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/17/ryan-lochte-jimmy-feigen-robbery-judge-orders-not-to-leave-brazil/88894372/

14 minutes ago, susieice said:

A Brazilian Judge ordered two US swimmers not to leave Brazil because of an ongoing investigation into the robbery. It seems Ryan Lochte is already here in the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/17/ryan-lochte-jimmy-feigen-robbery-judge-orders-not-to-leave-brazil/88894372/

Its like Brazil said "forcing 80k people out of their homes, the water being contaminated and rampant crime hasnt made us look bad enough, lets harass and intimidate the athletes too" 

• Like 1

I doubt the crowd boos in the men's pole vault final would be worth too many tourist $ either.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, susieice said:

I dont get the response, to cry? Man I would be like hell yes, im so good at what i do an entire nation is booing me!!!! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, susieice said:

Did you see the women's beach volleyball match with Brazil last night?

It was a disgrace! Every time the USA girls had the ball the crowd would erupt with cascading boos. Some sportsmanship for the host nation.

Edited by ZZ430
Added beach
  • Like 1

Yeah, well, without being familiar with the culture, I can't really judge it, but in many countries people would be very disapproving of booing the opposition. Here people boo in a more or less joking fashion for the most part.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yeah, well, without being familiar with the culture, I can't really judge it, but in many countries people would be very disapproving of booing the opposition. Here people boo in a more or less joking fashion for the most part.

In Canada we call that "poor form" but, then again, we're perceived as insanely polite.

• Like 4

A famous Rugby League player here was booed year in and year out in interstate matches. It was probably more a mark of respect than anything else !

I believe him! I think the Rio Olympics will be one remembered for being overshadowed with crime. It started with the opening ceremonies and will continue until it ends.

Edited by susieice