Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arrival Trailer #1 (Aliens come to Earth!)

Careful_perspective

I'm excited, what does everyone else think?!!?

Edited by Rinna
  • Like 3

It looks like the kind of film that will have a surprise/strange ending.  

• Like 2

It's always hard to tell from a trailer with films like this. It could go either way.

Looks like a solid cast though, so I'll give it a tentative :tu:

• Like 3

I looked it up and it is a short story by Ted Chiang called "The story of You".  It is a free PDF download.  It seems interesting. From what I am getting, some time manipulation or bending might be involved, too.  Not too sure just started reading it and the tenses change.

• Like 2

Hell, I love such stuff!

anyone else but Amy Adams...

I wonder who would be really surprised if such a visitation occurred?  We've seen so many of these movies since the 70's that we actually expect it to happen ;)   It does look like an interesting cast so I'll probably watch.  If there ever IS such an event I'll be getting as far from it as I can.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, and then said:

I wonder who would be really surprised if such a visitation occurred?  We've seen so many of these movies since the 70's that we actually expect it to happen ;)   It does look like an interesting cast so I'll probably watch.  If there ever IS such an event I'll be getting as far from it as I can.  

In any movie the cities get blasted.  I told my daughter to never live in a big one!  Lol.  

A complex movie about aliens and linguistics?

Sorry, I am too busy eating a feast of joy to even begin to speak.

This is literally just about everything that I am most interested in, in this entire world.

• Like 2

Another interesting point to note is that is will be released 11/11~ Armistice Day ~ now I need to look more into the author of the story on which it is based.............

• Like 2

Looks OK I guess.

Not sure Amy Adams can pull off that role.   Seems like a stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

It's directed by Denis Villeneuve, who's a pretty uncompromising director (and whose next movie is Blade Runner 2).

21 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

It's directed by Denis Villeneuve, who's a pretty uncompromising director (and whose next movie is Blade Runner 2).

So? With all tendencies nowadays, I wouldn't expect much. When was the last time you've given sci-fi movie 10 out of 10?

11 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

So? With all tendencies nowadays, I wouldn't expect much. When was the last time you've given sci-fi movie 10 out of 10?

What "tendencies"?

Villeneuve tends to direct the movies he wants to make in the way he wants to make them, for better or for worse. I'm not interested in watching a 10/10 movie, I'm interested in watching a movie that has no obvious studio meddling and is as close as possible to what the director wanted to achieve. 

Edited by Emma_Acid

12 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

What "tendencies"?

Villeneuve tends to direct the movies he wants to make in the way he wants to make them, for better or for worse. I'm not interested in watching a 10/10 movie, I'm interested in watching a movie that has no obvious studio meddling and is as close as possible to what the director wanted to achieve. 

Scripts becoming more and more ret@rded, Gravity, for example.

BTW, how you figure what movie was produced with studio meddling, and what was not?

6 minutes ago, Child of Bast said:

I'm not big on alien-type films, but this premise is interesting.

Premise might be not that bad, but I'm having sneaking suspicion that performance will be way below than expected (Star Wars latest crap, for example).

I don't get as worked up about movies being what they are expected to be. I've learned that I'm not as knowledgeable about how things should work in Hollywood and when making a movie. I've also learned that most people are pretty unforgiving.

12 minutes ago, Child of Bast said:

I don't get as worked up about movies being what they are expected to be. I've learned that I'm not as knowledgeable about how things should work in Hollywood and when making a movie. I've also learned that most people are pretty unforgiving.

I'm in this pool: don't promise you can't deliver.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2016 at 2:55 AM, and then said:

Obviously Hollywood knows something and is preparing us. Yah?

7 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Scripts becoming more and more ret@rded, Gravity, for example.

BTW, how you figure what movie was produced with studio meddling, and what was not?

There have always been "retarded" scripts. There are plenty of good sci fi movies coming out if you can look past the local multiplex.

Some movies have troubled shoots, no time for script re-writes, obviously forced plot changes to accommodate sequels/off-shoots (all of these affected Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman). Movies like Prometheus were totally chopped and changed half way through to allow for more movies. Some studios don't give a toss if the movie makes no sense, as long as they can rinse more money out of it. As soon as you know what to look for in a meddled-with movie, you can see one a mile off. Fox, Warner Bros and Sony are the most notorious studios.

This doesn't necessarily doom the movie -  remember Blade Runner had a terrible theatrical version because the studio didn't get what Scott was trying to do, and had to go through several different cuts, versions and reshoots to get it where it is today.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Obviously Hollywood knows something and is preparing us. Yah?

No.

8 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

There have always been "retarded" scripts. There are plenty of good sci fi movies coming out if you can look past the local multiplex.

Some movies have troubled shoots, no time for script re-writes, obviously forced plot changes to accommodate sequels/off-shoots (all of these affected Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman). Movies like Prometheus were totally chopped and changed half way through to allow for more movies. Some studios don't give a toss if the movie makes no sense, as long as they can rinse more money out of it. As soon as you know what to look for in a meddled-with movie, you can see one a mile off. Fox, Warner Bros and Sony are the most notorious studios.

This doesn't necessarily doom the movie -  remember Blade Runner had a terrible theatrical version because the studio didn't get what Scott was trying to do, and had to go through several different cuts, versions and reshoots to get it where it is today.

I'm glad you mentioned Prometheus. While trailer looked promising, after watching the movie I went

rf_fp.gif