Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirit activity in my sisters house?

Mark One

My sister has been experiencing some odd goings on in her new house.  At first it was odd noises upstairs which sounded like one of her two sons running around when both were actually downstairs.  Some mornings she would find their toys scattered everywhere in their bedroom (both lads, a 4 year old and his younger brother both sleep with thier mother for now) which puzzled her.  The other night (in the early hours of the morning) she heard a noise coming from their bedroom and decided to investigate it.  The room was empty but the rocking horse was moving - vigorously.  Not long after witnessing this, the rocking horse began to slow down until it became still again.  She told me that the silence which followed was even more scary then the sight she had just witnessed.

She moved in around 6 months ago and all was well until recently.  After making good friends with her neighbours she has learnt that a little boy had died in that house (an accident in the bath) several years ago.  My sister doesnt have an interest or fascination in such things but shes been left spooked by it all.

I`ll keep you all posted on any further developments and I may spend a night their too.  After all, those two little nephews are my world and I wont let anything hurt or scare them.  You do hear about child spirits and older (darker) spirits which follow them.  It may all be nothing and there may be a perfectly natural explanation.  We shall have to see.

Edited by Mark One
  • Like 6

Mark, as a precaution you need to do a thorough top to bottom search of the house (including the attic and basement). All entrances into the home need to be checked and secured. There have been many instances of people thinking their home was haunted, only to discover a stranger secretly living there. In some cases the stranger was coming and going. So safety first. Also check to make sure animals (such as raccoons, squirrels and the like) aren't able to get in. And if you can, set up a camera in the kids' bedroom. Anyway, you know the drill. Keep us posted.

• Like 4

What Claire said. I'd be more concerned with the dangers of a potential squatter living there than the paranormal.

http://www.wesh.com/video/vuz/man-breaks-into-house-to-watch-homeowner/40781168

Doesn't even have to be a squatter, could just be some weirdo. Definitely make sure her security is up to par and check every nook and cranny of that place. Even if we are wrong, we honestly hope we are, it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 3

Thanks folks.  The roof space is already at the top of my list.

• Like 2

an invisible squatter who rides a rocking horse?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Given the sequence of events as described, a squatter (or intruder) could easily have had enough time to get the rocking horse going. An animal could have done it as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark One said:

Some mornings she would find their toys scattered everywhere in their bedroom (both lads, a 4 year old and his younger brother both sleep with thier mother for now) which puzzled her. 

I understand your nephews are little ones, but have they said something about having seen or sensed anything?

Good luck. It sounds natural not paranormal, so take precautions because for all you know it could be rabid vermin up in there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zenith said:

I understand your nephews are little ones, but have they said something about having seen or sensed anything?

The eldest is hardly ever there - he outdoors to his friends as soon as his mum allows.  Hes not mentioned anything and his brother is nearly 2yrs..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atheist Pope said:

Good luck. It sounds natural not paranormal, so take precautions because for all you know it could be rabid vermin up in there.

When I was helping her to move in I always had a strange feeling when I looked up at the roof hatch - which incidently is in her bedroom and not out on the landing.

I worked for Dishnetwork once. I always seemed to have a foreboding feeling entering the basement or attic. I think it becomes hardwired in us after decades of spooky movies!

• Like 3

I suppose so but that doesn't really apply in my case because of my construction industry past.  I've (almost) crawled through more attics than I've had hot dinners :) And then a few cellars and also under cobwebbed/insect ridden floorboards etc.  When you climb back out and find a large spider or devils coach horse on your overalls...well, thats a real horror story.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2016 at 4:35 PM, quiXilver said:

Right.  And who vanishes the second the mom walks into the room while the rocking horse is still moving vigorously.. It's harder to believe the transient theory than the ghost theory actually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark One said:

I suppose so but that doesn't really apply in my case because of my construction industry past.  I've (almost) crawled through more attics than I've had hot dinners :) And then a few cellars and also under cobwebbed/insect ridden floorboards etc.  When you climb back out and find a large spider or devils coach horse on your overalls...well, thats a real horror story.

Done the same.  Spiders are part of the construction territory.

Well Ive been around and braved the roof space.  Very pokey up there, no signs of anyone living there and the brickwork is fine too.  It was actually bare up there - not a single bit of junk.  My sister hasnt come across anything else (yet) since the rocking horse incident.  She has learnt though that nobody lives at that address for long.

• Like 1

Maybe you should spend the night there, and do some investigating.

Certainly keep us updated, buddy. 

Edited by Hudds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark One said:

Thanks pal.  Im already considering that suggestion.

That's good, and I'm sure your sister may appreciate that.

Have you thought about attempting to capture EVP's, while your there? 

Thats a possibility in the future I suppose.  My initial intention (if I carry out a all nighter there - got to make sure my sister and her boys are not concerned) would be to police the place and investigate any strange sounds heard. 

Today I found nothing which suggested an illegal lodger...so I`m back with the possibility of a presence again.  My plan is to base myself in the boys bedroom and wait.  If I encounter anything like what Ive been told I will speak and ask it to leave with kindness in my voice.  I`ll even go as far as to imagine a bright white light so the presence can go home.  Ive already got ideas on our to place rock salt in that bedroom too.

One thing I will make clear to anything that goes bump in the night is that I dont scare that easily.  I have encountered similar things at a flat I once lived in.  Yes, back then it scared me but then you get used to it.  But now I`m older and it could be my sister and her boys at risk so I`m determined to end whatever is in her house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hudds said:

Maybe you should spend the night there, and do some investigating.

Certainly keep us updated, buddy. 

I spent the night at a haunted house, one I was working on renovating.  The ghost was so loud that it was at first very unnerving.  But then it was comical.  I finally yelled at "her" to knock it off so I could get some sleep.  And I meant it!  It was a very small house.  One story, all the rooms stripped open with only the bedroom still intact with a sheet over the door opening so it could be kept warm with the woodstove.  The rest was bare studs and the exterior siding still on, that's it.  Anyway, there were a couple of empty 5-gallon buckets, a bunch of lumber, a few windows leaned up against the walls, misc. tools and a table to prepare food on and a fridge.  There would be nothing at all going on until you laid down to sleep.  Then WHAM! ...few seconds later ...SMASH!...couple minutes go by...CRASH!  I'm familiar with sounds and it sounded like the buckets were being raised about 5 feet in the air and then dropped.  And the sound of a full 8' 2x4 was thrown across the room and hit a wall.  Etc. etc. 

I went out to check the first night I had to endure this, and found nothing out of place.  Absolutely nothing.  Night after night it continued.  My work partner took turns staying there alternating with my stays. She reported the exact same level and types of sounds.  There had been thefts in the neighborhood and some of our tools went missing before.  Before anyone comments, we had taken precautions after that to screw all the windows shut and install a regular and a deadbolt lock on the only door to the outside.  These were always locked at night.  So nobody was getting in.  The attic space was open, accessible with stairs and no signs of animal life large or small was up there either.

Now I say "she" when referring to the ghost because of some homework I did later and an EVP we captured while trying to capture real live thugs who were coming up to the front porch on occasion trying to make mischief.  Before I learned it was a she, I had learned that a librarian lived there several decades before.  The house was over 100 years old.  She loved the place.  She set up a library there and let the kids from the school nearby stop over and check out books.  I'd met her grandson who stopped by briefly before we closed escrow.  He spoke lovingly of the place and said his grand mother was extremely devoted to it. 

So first to get the noise to stop, I had a confrontation with her one night.  I lay down to sleep and like clockwork the racket started up.  I yelled "let me SLEEP!!  You can see how hard I work here.  I'm getting sick and I NEED MY SLEEP!!"  It got really quiet and stayed quiet the rest of that night.  It was pretty calm for awhile after that...mainly just shuffling sounds and occasional sounds that could be mistaken for a rat or something.  But then slowly it started up again.  But never as loud as the first month or two.  Then I started to reason with the ghost.  I took her for a sophisticated woman since she was a librarian in the 1950s.  I decided to calm the savage beast instead.  So, one night when it was my shift to work and watch the place, I brought over my classical guitar.  I played tune after tune and I told her out loud, that if she wanted me to play more she would have to be quiet so I could get my sleep.  Ever after that there was no noise at night.  My partner who had to live through the same thing reported she too noticed it was dead calm at night...finally.

The EVP we got was one day when my work partner expected some trouble on the front porch, she put a micro digital recorder just under the front door inside to the right when she went to go to work that morning.  You can hear her locking the front door from outside, walking down the porch, to her car that was already warming up.  The car engages and drives away.  Then a few minutes go by.  Then you clearly hear a pair of women's high heel shoes impatiently stalking up to the door FROM INSIDE the house, back from the back of it.  Then you hear a loud 'CLACK CLACK' where *someone* was unbolting, then rebolting the deadbolt lock FROM INSIDE the house (the only other way is with a key and the key had left for work already).  Then you hear a loud, very audible female *SIGH!*....then click click click go the high heels back towards the back of the house, but before they get about halfway there, they just evaporate and there's no more sound.  Afternote: the batteries in the recorder were fresh when my partner left for work.  A short time after the high heels sound faded, the recorder had died from lack of battery power.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 4

I'd firmly claim the space and flood it with the smoke of white sage. 

Also drumming and ringing of bells and generate an environment of positive family love with a night (or, one each week for a while) of playing games with much laughter, watch comedies, tell jokes... rouse the place with the life of joy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark One said:

Thats a possibility in the future I suppose.  My initial intention (if I carry out a all nighter there - got to make sure my sister and her boys are not concerned) would be to police the place and investigate any strange sounds heard. 

Today I found nothing which suggested an illegal lodger...so I`m back with the possibility of a presence again.  My plan is to base myself in the boys bedroom and wait.  If I encounter anything like what Ive been told I will speak and ask it to leave with kindness in my voice.  I`ll even go as far as to imagine a bright white light so the presence can go home.  Ive already got ideas on our to place rock salt in that bedroom too.

One thing I will make clear to anything that goes bump in the night is that I dont scare that easily.  I have encountered similar things at a flat I once lived in.  Yes, back then it scared me but then you get used to it.  But now I`m older and it could be my sister and her boys at risk so I`m determined to end whatever is in her house.

Bare in mind that spirits often can choose to refrain either at first or all together, from making they're presence known. This is usually the case, when they come across either a newcomer or an individual of no interest to them, of they're purpose. Spirits apparently observe every individual they happen to come across, which sometimes can take more than a day or maybe more, before they attempt to make they're presence known and become active. So, there is a maybe a possibility that you either may or may not experience any occurrence during your first all nighter.

However, I agree with you to first investigate and then take it from there appropriately, buddy.

If you do encounter a presence, I suggest you ask it to leave and claim the home as your sisters in a firm voice of somewhat authority, but respectful.

I am very glad that you don't scare easily, and I would prefer you to gently explain to your sister that spirits can feed on fear, which is intentionally promoted through they're presence and activity. The more fear they feed on, more the activity may increase.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

I spent the night at a haunted house, one I was working on renovating.....

I really appreciated you sharing your experience in a apparent haunted house.

I can imagine how annoying the Spirit may have been, especially when one has to get some sleep for work in the morning. There is possibility that the occurrences would have continued or increased, if you wasn't so direct at times with the Spirit, and had shown signs of fear. 

I believe many Spirits can be very deceptive, and they do apparently imitate/ mimic appearances and personalities of either previous or present household occupants, or people whom they observed from they're surroundings. Spirits can allow us to either see or hear something that we may be interested in, desiring, or usually something which can be from our inner fears.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but we can't always know (to an extent) what kind/ type of Spirit, we may be apparently dealing with at some point in our lives. Unless the subject's tendencies have been extensively documented, observed, and many properly conducted EVP's have been analysed. 

Edited by Hudds
  • Like 1

I'm not here to debunk ghostly experiences, but the salt, and sage parts make me laugh.

Let me explain.

Assuming ghosts are real, and are of a dimension near, but not fully of our own. Why would material products of superstition have any effect on them?

Salt: Ancient people seen blood as a lifeforce because without it you die. Combine this magical thinking with the fact that salt on a wound burns. If salt burns the lifeforce blood, it must effect the lifeforce in the spirit world. Also it preserves food from decay which is magical to ancient people too. Sounds like false equivalency to me.

Sage: Ancient people thought that air was the spirit world. If you stopped breathing your magic spirit/breath left you. This is why burnt offerings of smoke dissipating into the air was considered being taken up by Gods. 

I'm just saying to reevaluate the magical thinking that most likely has no effect, and causes such matters to be not taken seriously (well among other things).

• Like 1