Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The secret codex of a lost civilisation

seeder

The secret codex of a lost civilisation: Mexican pictograms are revealed beneath a 16th Century manuscript after being hidden for 500 years

The Codex Selden is a Mixtec manuscript dating from around 1560
    The document is made from deer hide covered in plaster and chalk
    New imaging technique revealed pictograms hidden under the plaster
    These are thought to be from a much older Mixtec manuscript

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3748822/The-secret-codex-lost-civilisation-Mexican-pictograms-revealed-beneath-16th-Century-manuscript-hidden-500-years.html#ixzz4HnrxT5mE

• Like 1

Mixtecs are now a 'lost civilization'  ? ? ?    I thought they were one of the mainstream civilizations of Meso-America , its language well documented, a lot known about their culture .... what is ...

Oh , wait ......  'Daily Mail '    ....   <sigh> 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, back to earth said:

Mixtecs are now a 'lost civilization'  ? ? ?    I thought they were one of the mainstream civilizations of Meso-America , its language well documented, a lot known about their culture .... what is ...

Oh , wait ......  'Daily Mail '    ....   <sigh> 

Yes the Daily Mail, had you read it they quoted this

But researchers at Leiden University, in the Netherlands, working with historians at the Bodleian Libraries at Oxford University where the Codex Selden is housed, have discovered a way to see through the plaster. Their findings are published in the Journal of Archaeological Sciences.

• Like 1

Scientists have uncovered the details of a rare Mexican manuscript which has been hidden under the layer of chalk and plaster for 500 years. 

Thanks to advanced scanning technology, researchers from University of Oxford's Bodleian Libraries and universities in the Netherlands have been able to peek through the dusty layer and uncovered the details of a mysterious codex that was built before Europeans arrived at America. 

The ancient manuscript has been compiled into book form and is collectively known as Codex Selden. Codex Selden is estimated to be1560 years old and is one of the just 20 Mexican codices to have survived from pre-colonial Mexico and which are safely placed in European museums and libraries.

http://www.i4u.com/2016/08/114503/500-year-old-hidden-mexican-manuscript-uncovered-thanks-new-imaging-technology

• Like 4

Super cool. I had no idea the native Americans made such things. I thought they only did wall murals and stonework.

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but thought I would shed a little light on this subject (something to stretch your brain for the day lol) there were almost a thousand languages that were spoken in the Americas before the Europeans came- about 250 in the present territory of the United States alone. And surprisingly about half of them had some form of written language that was used to communicate their legends and records. I am an archeologist specializing in Pre Columbian Civilizations with specificity to the North American Continent.  Some of the legends from Mexico and South America even tell of them hiding their written scrolls, imprinted tablets and pottery up here in North America to keep them from the Spanish invaders. That is where all the legends for the 'lost gold of the Aztecs' comes from.

• Like 3