Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

T. Rex fossil with well preserved skull found

Still Waters

There's a new Tyrannosaurus rex fossil on the block, with a cute nickname and about 20% of its former body intact, including a well-preserved skull.

The Burke and UW researchers say they were able to unearth roughly a fifth of the animal, including ribs, hips, jaw bones and vertebrae. (They'll search for more pieces of the iconic beast next summer.)

But the centerpiece of the find is the skull, which is about 4 feet long. So far, the scientists can see the right side of the skull -- from base to snout, including teeth -- and they think it's likely the left side, now trapped in rock, is intact too. (They'll begin the painstaking process of removing the remaining rock in October.)

http://www.seeker.com/t-rex-fossil-with-well-preserved-skull-found-in-montana-1978027622.html

• Like 5

And this is why they are my favorite dinosaurs: "The fearsome meat-eaters, with enormous jaws and razor-sharp teeth, were around 40 feet long and stood up to 20 feet tall. This find, the researchers say, would have been the height of a city bus at its hips and as long as one from head to tail-tip."

We'd be nothing but hors-d'œuvres to them. And this little guy isn't even full grown an he's huge. Fingers crossed his skull is all there.

• Like 2

Yeah, but what about those little ol' t-rex arms? :P (Quoting from Todd the Dinosaur comic. If you haven't heard of it, check it out at Comics Kingdom. Funny comic!)

• Like 1

If this creature actually existed millions of years ago... I say it looks exactly like a kangaroo and as such its mode of transportation was to hop around. HUGE GIANT LEAPS! Right onto it's prey. 

Who is to say... it is all a 95% speculative investigation. We have its skeleton, a few footprints, eggs and its carbon date that's it boys and girls... the rest is just the imaginations of archeologists.

Its the same thing with black holes and dark matter. All theoretical, no direct proof, all circumstantial. That goes for a lot of science. 

I hate science for this very reason. People start to take circumstantial evidence as proof that something works a certain way or exists. And nothing can be further from the truth. Science has become the 21st century religion. Where the truth is muddied by false proofs, false prophets and really really bad science. 

• Like 1

How fast could a T-Rex run.. and more important, could we have been able to out run them? Not that we have anything to worry about today obviously, but I was curious (for that just in case scenario) and found this interesting study: http://www.egi.eu/case-studies/natural-sciences/trex.html

So at an estimated speed of 29 km/hr (18 mph) could we outrun a T-Rex? Yes, if you're Usain Bolt.

How long can a T-Rex? If they were like cats, they are good sprinters, but they have no endurance. If they are like dogs, they can run for hours if they are trained too (like humans and horse, too). Anyway, I sould suggest not to leave too far from a narrow rock formation were you can go and where it won't.

They'd be like birds though, with a more efficient uni flow respiration system. 

I'd definitely stay in the rocks. 

On 21/08/2016 at 5:12 AM, Nzo said:

If this creature actually existed millions of years ago... I say it looks exactly like a kangaroo and as such its mode of transportation was to hop around. HUGE GIANT LEAPS! Right onto it's prey. 

Who is to say... it is all a 95% speculative investigation. We have its skeleton, a few footprints, eggs and its carbon date that's it boys and girls... the rest is just the imaginations of archeologists.

Its the same thing with black holes and dark matter. All theoretical, no direct proof, all circumstantial. That goes for a lot of science. 

I hate science for this very reason. People start to take circumstantial evidence as proof that something works a certain way or exists. And nothing can be further from the truth. Science has become the 21st century religion. Where the truth is muddied by false proofs, false prophets and really really bad science. 

I think I remember reading a full grown T Rex weighs in at around 9 tons is that correct?..if thats the case they wont be doing any jumping any time soon! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2016 at 4:58 PM, LoveDuet said:

Yeah, but what about those little ol' t-rex arms? :P (Quoting from Todd the Dinosaur comic. If you haven't heard of it, check it out at Comics Kingdom. Funny comic!)

lol...well,tyrannosaurids have small arms.They are all about bite.

My favorite theory about T's arms ... they used to have long and big arms ... then they started to get in the way of the jaws during feeding frenzies ... so they evolved with arms that did not get in the way ...

~ ka chink ~

~

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the T-Rex was more of a scavenger like today's hyenas than a hunter, I am thinking they were sort of the clean-up crew in those times however I am sure they wouldn't turn down a chance to make a dashing lunge at easy prey though.

Perhaps the T-Rex did run too for short periods of time but, like a cheetah, if it is clear they are too far away from their target they will give up.

There are many speculations to be studied, that is why I think science can be so amazing. Look at the possibilities then research the most likely avenues.