Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Precognition?

Londonman

Many years ago, back in the 80s, I started in a challenging new career.  I really wanted to find success and bought a book about the Silva method of

creative visualization.  When I went to bed at night I would visualize myself leaving my workplace  and walking to my tube station in London. I would 

imagine myself feeling good about my day at work.  

I was doing this for about 2 weeks when something happened to make me want to stop this activity.  One day, I arrived back in my apartment and

was walking up the stairs to my living room.  Suddenly I realized that as soon as I entered the room and hit the lamp switch the lamp would blow.

I was thinking of heading back down the stairs and going to buy a replacement bulb until I came to the conclusion that this is nonsensical thinking.

How could I know that the bulb would blow?  I continued to my room, opened the door and put my hand on the switch.  I was relieved to find that the lamp 

came on as normal.  Well, it did for a few seconds, then it made a little bang and went out.  I got a bit of a shock but because I have a Physics background

I tried to find an explanation.  The lamp was deteriorating and my brain had picked up on some signs that I was not consciously aware of. 

The next day, I went for a walk during my lunch break.   As I was walking along the road, I saw through the window of a parked car a note that said:

"Thank you for not smoking"   For some reason, that made me think of a funny scene from a movie that I really enjoyed. The movie was " Carry on Screaming" and the scene involved a policeman sitting in the front of a car with a witch. The witch says to the policemen: " Do you mind if I smoke?"

Instead of the expected cigarette appearing, smoke starts coming out from her whole body!  As I continued walking along the road I thought about that 

scene and I laughed to myself as I repeated the words:  "Do you mind if I smoke"

That evening, when I returned to my apartment I turned on the TV to watch the "Wogan Show"   It opened with the smoking scene from "Carry on Screaming"

For the second time in 24 hours I got another shock!  The show was live and Terry Wogan was interviewing the actress who played the witch, Fenella Fielding.

I always try look for rational explanations for strange events but these 2 events, happening one after the other, make me think that maybe precognition is something real!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Habitat

• ChrLzs

• Davros of Skaro

• Londonman

Sounds like you have good critical thinking skills.

You must have heard of "Law of Large Numbers"?

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/law-of-large-numbers

The bulb thing is interesting, but like you said you could have picked up it's buzzy deterioration subconsciously? 

I have coincidences too, but I see the probability of it happening.

Has anyone heard of the "Law of Small Brains" ? That applies to people who believe precognition is impossible !

I'll eagerly consider any story of precognition where the precognition was documented before the event, rather than reported afterwards.

People who believe that memories aren't malleable, and that folks, sadly, do make up stuff on forums like this, might have small brains too!

2 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I'll eagerly consider any story of precognition where the precognition was documented before the event, rather than reported afterwards.

People who believe that memories aren't malleable, and that folks, sadly, do make up stuff on forums like this, might have small brains too!

I did e-mail a relative about a dream prediction, and it came to pass, but he already knew I had a reliable record in such matters, and acted on it to his advantage.

Well, I guess that should be enough evidence for anyone.  I'll be off then...

5 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Well, I guess that should be enough evidence for anyone.  I'll be off then...

night-night  !

Just a sidenote. The show Addams Family had Morticia pull the same joke.

I appreciate your healthy scepticism.   Until I experienced unusual incidents I was totally sceptical about the concept of precognition.

What I will now describe also happened in the late 80s, when I was on a short holiday with relatives in my home town in Ireland. 

I awoke up on a Sunday morning and recollected very clearly a dream I just had.  In this dream I met a woman I did not previously know.  She asked me to meet her later at a bus station.

When we met at the station, she said she loved me and we embraced and she kissed me on the lips.

I became sexually very excited and attracted to her.  She said she was waiting for relatives from Canada to arrive.  Shortly after, 2 men and 1 woman arrived and she introduced me to them.  I was aware of the visible evidence of my excitement and used newspapers to cover up.  I then woke up.

It was around noon when I awoke and I would be having dinner around 2 o’clock. 

I decided go for a few pints in our local pub before the meal.  On the way down to the pub, I stopped off at a shop to buy Sunday papers. 

In the pub,  I was at the counter reading my papers and drinking my beer.A woman appeared alongside me at the counter and asked the barman for a double brandy.  She was about 40 years, well dressed and reasonably attractive but nothing out of the ordinary.  However, something started happening that I had never experienced before.  I felt waves of energy coming in and out of a region of my body near my heart.  That is the only way I can describe this sensation.  She turned towards me and asked if I would do her a favour.  She said that she had just been involved in a car accident and she had to go to her doctor in the nearby hospital.  She asked me to walk with her to the hospital and I agreed.

We left the pub and soon were in the hospital grounds.   As we were walking towards the entrance I was still experiencing this strange sensation in my heart region.  However, I did not make any mention of this as I thought she would think I was a looney.   Just as we were reaching  the entrance, she told that she felt a strange  buzz between us and that she was very attracted to me.  She kissed me on the lips and I found myself very aroused.   It was at this stage that I remembered the dream that I had.

We continued on into the reception area and she told me she was waiting for her relatives to arrive.  Now I felt like I was in a dream.   As in the dream, 2 men and a woman arrived and my companion introduced us.  As in the dream, I used the newspapers in my hand to cover up my excitement.

The lady then took me over to one side of the reception area and told me she was married to the richest man in town.  She showed me her bank balance to prove it.   She wanted to have an affair with me.  It was an attractive offer but I turned her down because my catholic upbringing did not allow affairs with married women.

The dream and the reality only matched each other in parts.  What amazed me then and still does even today, after all these years, is the fact that she felt the same buzz as me.

Because I was so confused at the time I did not record any details of this woman, telephone etc.

I have never met her again so I have not had the chance to tell her of the dream.

Well. Londonman, the idea of a woman approaching you to walk her to the hospital, from a hotel bar, showing you her bank balance of all things, sounds wildly implausible, unless the doctor who was seeing was a psychiatrist.