Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity captures 360-degree Mars panorama

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, b0wn said:

Hmm any reason that they would need to black out the sky? Nope none.

Nope, no reason at all, which is why they DIDN'T black out the sky.

You obviously don't know how this image was taken. It is a mosaic, which means that it is made of multiple images "stitched" together to form a single image. The black areas are not blacked out, they are simply areas that were not imaged in the first place.

• Like 4

yes you beat me to it! Was about to say the same thing. I remember watching the Apollo landings on our little b/w tv when I was a kid and now having the oppurtunity again with Mars is truly amazing. What a great shot of the landscape

Edited by khol

crazy how much that looks like my back yard. 

• Like 1

Is the martian sky blue? I understand that this occurs on Earth as consequence of the similarity in the wavelengths of the colour blue with the particulates in the air and to this extent scattered in the atmosphere. Is this the same case on Mars?

51 minutes ago, Vox said:

Is the martian sky blue? I understand that this occurs on Earth as consequence of the similarity in the wavelengths of the colour blue with the particulates in the air and to this extent scattered in the atmosphere. Is this the same case on Mars?

I wouldn't think so.  There isn't enough of an atmosphere to do the refraction of the sunlight.   might be a pale grey. 

Waspie?

9 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I wouldn't think so.  There isn't enough of an atmosphere to do the refraction of the sunlight.   might be a pale grey. 

Waspie?

The atmosphere of Mars is sufficiently dense to scatter blue light and produce a blue sky a;though the effect would be weak. Indeed scientists working on the NASA Viking landers back in 1976 so expected the Martian sky to be blue that they processed the images to show it as such. It was only when they noticed that some features on the landers themselves were not the correct colour that they realised they had made a mistake.

In fact the Martian sky generally appears pinkish.This is because of fine particles of Martian dust suspended in the atmosphere. Sunsets and sunrises on Mars ARE blue.

• Like 1

The minds of the scientists and the  technology is fantastic. Years and years or research and extremely clever brains have given us so much wonderful things to see and they  still have more to discover.

On that note, i just hope people realise these guys do not just look at the pictures without scanning them and examining them to the full, so out of respect to these great minds, some people should think twice before saying they see bigfoot or a Buddha in the pictures.... the odds the scientists at NASA are going to miss something like that are = NONE..

These pictures have been made available for us to see, these scientists are giving people an opportunity to share in their findings, findings of a Universe we all are a part off.. And i am extremely grateful to them for that.

Well done boys, keep em coming. :tu:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

some people should think twice before saying they see bigfoot or a Buddha in the pictures.... the odds the scientists at NASA are going to miss something like that are = NONE..

We'll said freetoroam.

Over the years I have had more conversations with conspiracy theorists than I care to remember that have been in the following form:

CT: "NASA is hiding stuff from us."

Me: "How do you know? "

CT: "Because I have seen the photos."

Me: "Which photos?"

CT: "The NASA photos."

Me: "So you are claiming that NASA is hiding things and your evidence is the images NASA have made public?"

CT: "Yes."

Me: "When I have finished banging my head against a brick wall I am going to go for a long lie down in a darkened room."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Me: "So you are claiming that NASA is hiding things and your evidence is the images NASA have made public?"

This is the key point. How people can not figure this one out is beyond me.....its not exactly rocket science!

Edited by freetoroam

On 8/22/2016 at 11:09 PM, Farmer77 said:

crazy how much that looks like my back yard. 

yikes, maybe u should put in some grass or plants =)

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Me: "When I have finished banging my head against a brick wall I am going to go for a long lie down in a darkened room."

That's exactly what I do when I get customers putting a liquid dye in an open tank or leaving the lid off the container and wonder why the strength changes over time then complains why an unopened container of the same lot is weaker when they start using it.