Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you tell the truths from the fakes?

Beanlyn

I've been wanting to continue my exploration into paranormal things because my family has had many experiences. I want to read other people's experiences and know what they have seen. Is there any sort of way to tell the true stories from the fake stories? Are there any reliable people or websites I can look into? 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Beanlyn said:

I've been wanting to continue my exploration into paranormal things because my family has had many experiences. I want to read other people's experiences and know what they have seen. Is there any sort of way to tell the true stories from the fake stories? Are there any reliable people or websites I can look into?

Anecdotal evidence isn't always the most trustworthy. Even so-called documented evidence is often either misinterpreted, misrepresented or faked. Unless there is real, unaltered evidence (which is extremely rare), it's difficult to know for certain. Furthermore, what may seem like a paranormal experience (and presented as such) might very well be nothing of the sort. Always be skeptical. Ask all the right questions and examine all possible explanations. After that, make up your own mind about it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Clair said:

Anecdotal evidence isn't always the most trustworthy. Even so-called documented evidence is often either misinterpreted, misrepresented or faked. Unless there is real, unaltered evidence (which is extremely rare), it's difficult to know for certain. Furthermore, what may seem like a paranormal experience (and presented as such) might very well be nothing of the sort. Always be skeptical. Ask all the right questions and examine all possible explanations. After that, make up your own mind about it.

I understand! Do you know of any real evidence? I haven't come across any but I am curious. I am extremely skeptical about the things I read because I know anything could be easily made up. It's a bit disappointing but I think too many people want to make up stories or over exaggerate because they want to seem like the cool person who can talk to ghosts, know what I mean? It seems like a long time ago it would be easier to pick out the truth because it was harder to fake evidence. Now a lot of people use paranormal things and all that relate for attention, money and things of that nature. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beanlyn said:

I understand! Do you know of any real evidence? I haven't come across any but I am curious. I am extremely skeptical about the things I read because I know anything could be easily made up. It's a bit disappointing but I think too many people want to make up stories or over exaggerate because they want to seem like the cool person who can talk to ghosts, know what I mean? It seems like a long time ago it would be easier to pick out the truth because it was harder to fake evidence. Now a lot of people use paranormal things and all that relate for attention, money and things of that nature. 

I have never come across any real evidence, and it's not for lack of trying. Even seemingly real evidence often has a rational explanation behind it But you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to why people lie or exaggerate. And yes, paranormal is indeed big business - TV shows, books, you name it. Many people have made a small fortune from writing books or making TV appearances, only to later admit they were lying the entire time.

• Like 2

Yeah good there Mr. Bean(lyn) I knew some girls(AND BOOOOOYS!) that claimed to see color auras , ghosts etc. and attention thing might be right because when you've nothing else and everyone around you are super at something, well those kids were not exactly slow ... ah withdrawn for lack of a better description off the top of my head.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

There is no sure way to tell fakes from people with real experiences. A good portion of people with claims of paranormal activity belive them to be true.....and Are......but not paranormal. Another good portion make things up. Why?  Money...to screw with people...for the hell of it...attention ?...Your guess is as good as mine. My advice is to take everything you hear with a grain of salt, but don't discount anything without first trying to understand it. I have seen some remarkable things, and met some remarkable people. I'm not one to jump to paranormal  conclusions...... but .........lost my train of thought.....I guess I'm just saying maybe it's not B.S. just because you saw it on the internet......but then again maybe it is.

• Like 4

You can't. And even if you have actual personal experiences, there are often ways to debunk them. Even if you have actual personal experiences that are verified by others, that doesn't mean they are what everyone thinks they are. 

Never take anything you read, see, hear, or experience at face value. Never rely anything that isn't properly referenced. Never trust a newspaper or TV programme, most are just entertainment. I know that's obvious in most cases, but even seemingly respectable companies have no obligation to stick to facts.  Never trust eyewitness accounts. Never rule out agendas.

Always check the credentials of anyone claimed to be an expert. Always suspect someone who's hostile to scrutiny. Always check both sides of the argument. Always read any  article fully and check on the people places and times, where applicable.

There's no evidence for the paranormal, UFOs or cryptozoology. Absolutely none, that has ever stood up to scrutiny. But, people have strange experiences all the time. And they aren't all lying, stupid, or ill. It's part of the human condition. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

If there is no proof, then can we really say it exists? It seems like everything has some sort of explanation. Whether or not it is all real, it is still fun to read other people's experiences.

• Like 2

Basically, at least when it comes to ghosts, if its too good to be true...it is. Stories of possessions, murder by spook or demonic happenings are all fakes.

Truth is better than fiction

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, Beanlyn said:

Thank you in advance. 

Truth usually stinks and falsehoods reek of lilac and lavender.

Please check out my video called 'Holiday Spirits'. If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

2 minutes ago, Accidental Scientist said:

Please check out my video called 'Holiday Spirits'. If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Not everyone is willing or able to view YouTube here on UM. Could you give us a written version of what the video is about please?

• Like 2

I'm on my way out the door. I'll try and do that later today.