Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey to Cleanse Border of Islamic Militants

Claire.

Turkey vows to cleanse Islamic State from border after wedding attack.

Turkey vowed on Monday to "completely cleanse" Islamic State militants from its border region after a suicide bomber suspected of links to the group killed 54 people, including 22 children, at a Kurdish wedding. Saturday's attack in the southeastern city of Gaziantep is the deadliest in Turkey this year. President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday it was carried out by a suicide bomber aged between 12 and 14, adding that initial evidence pointed to Islamic State.

Read more: Reuters

• Like 2

Another sign that Turkey is walking away from NATO and into a relationship with Russia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clair said:

Turkey vows to cleanse Islamic State from border after wedding attack.

Turkey vowed on Monday to "completely cleanse" Islamic State militants from its border region after a suicide bomber suspected of links to the group killed 54 people, including 22 children, at a Kurdish wedding. Saturday's attack in the southeastern city of Gaziantep is the deadliest in Turkey this year. President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday it was carried out by a suicide bomber aged between 12 and 14, adding that initial evidence pointed to Islamic State.

Read more: Reuters

That would be out of character and even more so considering the attack killed Kurds. 

• Like 2

they are trying to get jerablus from ISIS using the other rebel groups to prevent the emergence of a Kurdish line/ corridor. Turkeys Kurd fobia is preventing them to see the clear picture and real danger. ISIS ultimate goal is to carry the war into Turkish territories and gain the control over Istanbul. According to Turkish journalist  Ismail Saymaz, Isis publishes a magazines called " konstantiniyye" (constantinopolis)  and claimed that Mahdi would come from Istanbul. So,Turkish officials do not seem to understand that they have to corporate with Kurds for the sake of their own country. 

• Like 2

I read an article on the BBC (if I remember correctly) that the Turks were bombing Daesh and the Kurds. While it may be that they'll step up their campaign against Daesh I doubt they'll go easy on the Kurds to focus on them, but will probably just step up their attacks on both groups.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I read an article on the BBC (if I remember correctly) that the Turks were bombing Daesh and the Kurds. While it may be that they'll step up their campaign against Daesh I doubt they'll go easy on the Kurds to focus on them, but will probably just step up their attacks on both groups.

I read yesterday that Erdogan makes no real distinction between ISIS and the Kurds.  He considers them both as enemies that have to be removed.  The PKK seems more than capable of making Turkey pay long term if some accommodation cannot be reached.

• Like 1

Apparently they werent kidding about fighting ISIS   :       Turkey, Ankara-backed rebels launch op to retake Syrian town from ISIS

Terribly coincidental timing that the nation we know was selling oil to ISIS just a few months ago decides to attack them now that they're in a tiff with the US. 

• Like 1

On 23 August 2016 at 0:59 PM, Farmer77 said:

Another sign that Turkey is walking away from NATO and into a relationship with Russia. 

How true that Turkey is treating the NATO alliance and the west generally as 'soup du jour.' Its a partner and ally only when it feels like it. Likes the part that protected it from Russia's wrath when it tried to muscle Russia outta Syria and staged a false chemical weapons attack and now wants nothing to do with America when it can't get its own way kicking the Kurds in the guts. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Apparently they werent kidding about fighting ISIS   :       Turkey, Ankara-backed rebels launch op to retake Syrian town from ISIS

Terribly coincidental timing that the nation we know was selling oil to ISIS just a few months ago decides to attack them now that they're in a tiff with the US. 

That still hasn't stopped them taking a free shot at the Kurdish fighters in Syria. Who lets face it... are the only reason why Turkey are "fighting" ISIS. Turkey wants to stop the Kurds from linking up across the northern part of Syria. Turkey is only interested in retaking Jarablus before the Kurds do.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, and then said:

I read yesterday that Erdogan makes no real distinction between ISIS and the Kurds.  He considers them both as enemies that have to be removed.  The PKK seems more than capable of making Turkey pay long term if some accommodation cannot be reached.

Erdogan's ISIS foot soldiers are dispensable and excess to requirement. No one forgets how Turkey behaved during the siege of Kobane. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

How true that Turkey is treating the NATO alliance and the west generally as 'soup du jour.' Its a partner and ally only when it feels like it. Likes the part that protected it from Russia's wrath when it tried to muscle Russia outta Syria and staged a false chemical weapons attack and now wants nothing to do with America when it can't get its own way kicking the Kurds in the guts. 

Turkey has always used NATO for her own ends.Erdogan can not be trusted and his Increasingly Islamist Government would stab NATO In the back in an instant.

• Like 2

Erdogan is already paranoid and suspects he is being served up to the Russians and Syrians if not the Kurds by NATO ... he is already grasping at straws out the wrong end of the strawman ...

CBS/AP August 22, 2016, 1:33 PM

Turkey backtracks on ISIS child wedding bomber claim

~
When the news hit the headlines over here most every one went "that can't be right ..."

and we were right ...

the lies are coming thick and fast at such a furious pace all over the place ~

~

• Like 1

Well how does turkey always use NATO for their own sake, instead of speculating , would you mind giving an example? Turkey and Greece accepted to NATO and US proposed it. And to be able to get in NATO, they had to send 4500 soldiers to Koren war to fight sight by sight with the US army, and guess what most of those people died or wounded badly in a location they knew nothing about and in war does not mean anything to them, but the US. After that they opened their country to US to open  at least 100 US military bases to collect intelligence about Soviet and keep the danger out of us territory and Western Europe territory. And you come up and say, turkey only used NATO for their own sake is just not untrue but , also you are underestimating  minds behinds your country's  foreign policy, mitigate power and diplomatic success. 

Another issue , Turkey does not support ISIS, but other rebel groups, but so the USA is also doing the same for the sake of overthrowing their so-called only enemy ,Russian ally Essad. But what makes you to believe that is Turkey more responsible than the US or other allies in this conflict. This is a mess and created by Turkey, US  etc. the only ones fighting wit Isis are  Russia, Syrian government and IRan. After Russian air bombarding,not the US,  the fate of the Isis is changed. 

Turkeys Syria politics are com lepta wrong for several reasons and turkey does not have the luxury of playing a dangerous game in its borders, the USA no the others can play and  turkey shouldn't have involved in this, they should have the similar attitudes they had in the Iraq war. 

On 2016-08-23 at 1:43 PM, and then said:

When Erdogan says he will ''fight ISIS'' he really means the Kurds. He uses ISIS as a cover to weaken Kurdish positions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

When Erdogan says he will ''fight ISIS'' he really means the Kurds. He uses ISIS as a cover to weaken Kurdish positions.

I have no idea if PKK does suicide bombings but if they do then Erdog is only sowing the wind.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Turkey has always used NATO for her own ends.Erdogan can not be trusted and his Increasingly Islamist Government would stab NATO In the back in an instant.

The situation as i see it, is that NATO hasn't the ability to wean itself off Incirlik air base. Turkey will continue to call out NATO and threaten to close the base every time it doesn't get its own way until one day it just goes to far... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

I have no idea if PKK does suicide bombings but if they do then Erdog is only sowing the wind.  

No i don't think they do suicide bombing either. Of course Erdogan and the peanut gallery might think other wise but then again whats new with a dictator that blames all of Turkey's woes on the much maligned Kurds. 

Turkey has unfortunately become an autocracy, with the coup attempt used as an excuse (makes one wonder how real the attempt was, as it was put down so easily).

I hope it will become a Mubarak type of autocracy, but it seems Atatürk's secular society is no more and an Islamist (although so far a moderate one, if such an expression is not a contradiction in terms).  

We forget what a similar government did to the Armenians, and Turkey has never faced the facts about it.  The Kurds may be next.  Of course there is now a de facto Kurdistan in northern Iraq and coming to be another in Eastern Syria.  The Kurdish sections of Turkey and Iran (which may be the reason the Iranians are also helping Russia with its attacks in Syria).  Of course the lunatic regime in central Iraq and part of Syria has to be removed first.

I see the Russians are helping with the human disaster in Syria.  The regime has already destroyed the country in its attempt to hold power, when plainly the vast majority of Syrians don't want them -- mainly with Russian help -- and now are carrying out more terrors (such as the bombing of a funeral today).

Some rambling thoughts from a very discouraged person, considering.

On 2016-08-27 at 9:28 PM, Frank Merton said:

I see the Russians are helping with the human disaster in Syria.  The regime has already destroyed the country in its attempt to hold power, when plainly the vast majority of Syrians don't want them -- mainly with Russian help -- and now are carrying out more terrors (such as the bombing of a funeral today).

How do you know that? Clearly the Assad regime wouldn't have survived that long without support from a significant part of the population. I seriously doubt the Islamist rebels imposing their Shariah law are perceived as ''Bringers of Democracy & Humans Rights'' by everyone in Syria... Newspaper columinists and media commentators in the West aren't always right in their analyses, you know.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

How do you know that? Clearly the Assad regime wouldn't have survived that long without support from a significant part of the population. I seriously doubt the Islamist rebels imposing their Shariah law are perceived as ''Bringers of Democracy & Humans Rights'' by everyone in Syria... Newspaper columinists and media commentators in the West aren't always right in their analyses, you know.

Has the Assad regime ever held a free election?  It is pretty obvious without the Russians Assad would be dead, kinda like what happened in Libya.  Putin and his sock-puppets can only spread lies, the reality is Putin is the really evil figure keeping this war going and encouraging Assad and his inhuman behavior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Has the Assad regime ever held a free election?

Actually he did:

http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.597052//

www.france24.com/en/20160417-syria-bashar-assad-baath-party-wins-majority-parliamentary-vote

It is pretty obvious without the Russians Assad would be dead, kinda like what happened in Libya.  Putin and his sock-puppets can only spread lies, the reality is Putin is the really evil figure keeping this war going and encouraging Assad and his inhuman behavior.

Obviously without Russian and Iran help the Syrian regime would be defeated militarily. The rebels are well-equipped. But that doesn't explain everything. If the entire population was against Assad, then he'd been dead by now. No governement could have withstood such an uprising.

Edited by TruthSeeker_