Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Stone Age slabs in Scotland

seeder

The mystery Stone Age slabs in Scotland: Scientists baffled by bizarre 5,400-year-old structure found under a rubbish dump

Archaeologists unearthed the stone building at Ness of Brodgar, Orkney
    They found it while excavating a Neolithic midden, or rubbish dump
    It is on the site of a Stone Age settlement thought to include a temple
    New structure predates this and contains slabs from an old stone circle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3754593/The-mystery-Stone-Age-slabs-Scotland-Scientists-baffled-bizarre-5-400-year-old-structure-Neolithic-rubbish-dump.html

• Like 3

"Scientists baffled"

Sigh.

Other than that, cool story, great find.

• Like 2

They always find ancient stuff in Orkney.

• Like 1

Great find indeed!! Stuff like this proves we've been capable of anything for a very very long time.

• Like 2

Scientists are uncommonly vulnerable to bafflification it seems while ordinary people are only subject to astonishment which, although often chronic, still represents a lower order of stupefication.

Harte

• Like 4

Contrary to what some believe (like a religion), not everything there is to know yet about the earth has already been discovered and explained away by "the experts"...

From the link in the OP:

The way the stones are built into the construction is also unique to the Ness. This all suggests that they may have been re-used and taken from elsewhere....'Perhaps they may be part of a stone circle that pre-dates the main Ness site. It is all a bit of mystery.'.....

Excavations have revealed the remains of a Neolithic settlement elsewhere on the site, including several houses and what is thought to have even been a temple.

Pottery, stone tools and a clay figurine have also been uncovered at the site. Last month a human arm bone was uncovered at the site.

It is thought to have been inhabited between 3,200BC and 2,200BC,

Edited by Saru
No drama please.

19 hours ago, Harte said:

Scientists are uncommonly vulnerable to bafflification it seems while ordinary people are only subject to astonishment which, although often chronic, still represents a lower order of stupefication.

Harte

Oh .. come on man!  ....    Slabs  !  ......  made of   stone  !       :o

Related image     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

...    Contrary to what some believe (like a religion), not everything there is to know yet about the earth has already been discovered and explained away by "the experts"...

Of course it hasn't !  What made you think it had ?   One thing I like about Orkney (for example )  is that ,  as more is found out and understood and collated about it, it helps develop the bigger picture.   Its ongoing ... that's why people still research stuff .  

Such attitudes I dont really find here , more on religious topics themselves I suppose .   However, I do notice that some in 'opposition' seem to  me to be 'religiously irrational' about their fringe ides .

Ten years ago, I myself had never heard of Orkney ( well, not the archaeology , I thought they made  good wool clothing , or something  )   .....   but that was due to my own  ignorance . 

Edited by back to earth

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmmmm

Just to guess... could be an old temple.... and then a change of culture, a new people arose, a new religion, treated the old site with disdain.

Chucky