Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's oldest needle unearthed in Siberia

UM-Bot

Very interesting information on a unique hominid and distant relative of Neanderthal, the Denisovan, who we know so little about. Makes their disappearance even more enigmatic given their level of technology. Thanks for posting.

great article, I wonder if they learnt to stitch up wounds as well as make clothing, nets and blankets from needles ?

COOOL! nice article. THoughts .... Were the shoes and clothes exceptional like astonishing to them?
One would tend to think so especially being assembled by at least one juggernaut mind in the crowd, then again, its not like it was triple needle or anything so maybe nobody got much credit for those minor skills in that time. Besides
its really the cutting or design of the pattern that counts and I'm sure that individual was held in high regard.

Someone has asked in the comments about the thread type supposedly used with the needle - it was probably made of animal tendons, as was in the case with many indigenous peoples of Siberia up to the mid 20th century. They probably also may have known how to make fabric of nettle fiber.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bubblykiss said:

It might be old, but is it as cool as this needle?

Image result for arya stark needle

Nothing is as cool as that NEEDLE! Nothing at all. :)

#jonsnowlivesforever

"the Denisovans - an extinct species of human whose DNA is still carried by many of us today." Anyone else see what's wrong with this statement.

1 hour ago, MJNYC said:

Nothing is as cool as that NEEDLE! Nothing at all. :)

#jonsnowlivesforever

I second that needle! HERE! HERE! THat was awesome, SHOW WAS EXCELLENT !  till they messed it up now showing two shows this season, I exaggerate to drive it home sometimes.(my points)

Edited by MWoo7

1 hour ago, twobytwice said:

"the Denisovans - an extinct species of human whose DNA is still carried by many of us today." Anyone else see what's wrong with this statement.

I believe the statement just means that the "pure" species is gone.  If your DNA is 51% Denisovian be my guest and be one.  Maybe ancestry.com can tell you.

That would be interesting if they could sequence the needle dna and find out what kind of bird it was made from. Whatever big birds people were eating 50,000 years ago probably arent around anymore.

On 8/24/2016 at 0:01 PM, MWoo7 said:

I second that needle! HERE! HERE! THat was awesome, SHOW WAS EXCELLENT !  till they messed it up now showing two shows this season, I exaggerate to drive it home sometimes.(my points)

What do you mean, "now showing two shows this season"? ;)

[SEASON 7 --- Game of Thrones THERE  *   W I L L   *   N O T  *   B E  *    T  E  N   *     E  P  I  S  O  D  E  S  ] whew ! The next season, next year whatever/whenever it comes, I obviously could have been a bit more exact and even offered a paper or two like the Gods in here(your lucky they didn't DELETE your pick, right when its ON POINT to the topic, amazingly FOR SOME its deleted and they say not relevant, which sadly was the driving point of the topic, and moving on, sorry for the break of flow) and several links to quality sources, and I mentioned two and I ment EPISODES.... hmmm I think they had mention that the next ones(EPISODES!) ...well -- there would not be as many.  The reason I said two was a bit of exaggeration, thus driving the point, or as I mentioned driving the point home..... the pun, ...... ah banter ... being funny ? well obviously yet again, another pitiful attempt at humor as my omniscient know everything daughter would have said.  Alrighty! Laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just noticed::::: jonsnowlivesforever

: D yey !

Edited by MWoo7

Excellent find.  

Was this needle found in a haystack?  The world's oldest haystack?