Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American Guns Siezed and Destroyed

Thanato

Inconveniencing tourists who want to see your beautiful country and spend money there seems a bit rude.  I can see fining them for the error - because in most cases I'm sure that's all it is, but to confiscate the weapon, hold their vehicle hostage and kick them out of your country is the way podunk, back road speed trap towns used to make money on unsuspecting travelers.  Those places had nothing to offer and had to steal to stay alive...what's Canada's excuse for acting so militantly?  It sounds embarrassing to admit.  You have a sovereign right to view firearms as you wish but you could show a little compassion and common sense too, yeah?  Taking the gun and forcing the individual to appear in court, pay a fine and have it returned to them seems very fair in such a case.  Also, if I travel to your country by car and approach the border - possibly for the first time ever - would I see notice of these restrictions?  That would matter a lot.  If I see a notice and roll on anyway then that's on me.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, and then said:

Inconveniencing tourists who want to see your beautiful country and spend money there seems a bit rude.  I can see fining them for the error - because in most cases I'm sure that's all it is, but to confiscate the weapon, hold their vehicle hostage and kick them out of your country is the way podunk, back road speed trap towns used to make money on unsuspecting travelers.  Those places had nothing to offer and had to steal to stay alive...what's Canada's excuse for acting so militantly?  It sounds embarrassing to admit.  You have a sovereign right to view firearms as you wish but you could show a little compassion and common sense too, yeah?  Taking the gun and forcing the individual to appear in court, pay a fine and have it returned to them seems very fair in such a case.  Also, if I travel to your country by car and approach the border - possibly for the first time ever - would I see notice of these restrictions?  That would matter a lot.  If I see a notice and roll on anyway then that's on me.  

You should have read the link provided.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, and then said:

Taking the gun and forcing the individual to appear in court, pay a fine and have it returned to them seems very fair in such a case

I believe the guns were destroyed because they lied about having them. If you declare your weapons and have the permits for them, the Canadians will store them for you.

• Like 5

I think it's more of an issue that people are deliberately bringing their weapons and lying about it.  It's the same mindset as that dumb guy that got arrested in North Korea for stealing a flag off the wall in a hotel.  

It's the whole, your laws don't apply to me because I'm American mindset.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

It's not an inconvience. When you say you have no guns and a search finds 4 it's a down right lie and attempt to smuggle. They are lucky they weren't brought up on charges.

if you have a gun declare it at the boarder and either fill out the appropriate paperwork or go home and come back with out it.

we have liberal firearms laws compared to the majority of developed nations but we do have fire arms laws. Bring your guns legally and use them legally if not leave them at home.

the simplest and best way to avoid the confiscation and destruction of your firearms is to declare it. If it's illegal for entry into Canada you will be told to head back to the US and come back with out them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Clair said:

I believe the guns were destroyed because they lied about having them. If you declare your weapons and have the permits for them, the Canadians will store them for you.

Yes, they were destroyed because they tried to smuggle firearms a cross and international boarder. They are lucky they are only loosing thier firearms. They could of been arrested.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

If I  am travelling to another country, I take the time to read about it and it's laws.  Educating yourself about the country will save on situations that could be avoided.  Disregarding laws, lying about what you have in your vehicle is no excuse to not have repercussions. Disregarding these laws shows  the country you are visiting that you have no respect for it.  Why should you be treated with respect when you are showing none?  Your laws are left behind when you arrive at that border.  

• Like 7

As Arbenol pointed out - I should have read the link.  The thread is still just another anti gun puff piece though.  I guess seizing 400 guns put Americans in their place though, eh? ;)

If the guys lied then they got what they deserved.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

As Arbenol pointed out - I should have read the link.  The thread is still just another anti gun puff piece though.  I guess seizing 400 guns put Americans in their place though, eh? ;)

How is it Anti-Gun? It is anti criminal. And if you fail to declare your firearm you are a criminal.

• Like 1

cool, but what is there to discuss? yea some brake laws, and get caught, but yea i agree with  and then, it seems like anti-gun, anti american article, because there is nothing really to discuss here.

otoh i could pull up stats and show how Canadians are no 1 at overstaying their visas, and as a result stay here illegally, aka committing crime, knowingly, (unlike some poor sob who just forgot they had a gun in the car)  this is not anti Canadian, or anti immigration, it is anti crime.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thanato said:

How is it Anti-Gun? It is anti criminal. And if you fail to declare your firearm you are a criminal.

I agree with this... Don't matter what the item is. If it's illegal in another country, you try to smuggle and lie about it- then face the consequences. Just like if you were trying to smuggle drugs, or produce, or people or a bunch of other things that countries are perfectly in their right to say no to.

It's not anti-gun.. it's don't smuggle illegal crap here.

And it can be amazing on just how ignorant people can be about these kinds of laws. Sometimes willfully ignorant, sometimes truly so. It isn't just the U.S. and Canadian border either, some folks pay no mind to what state laws are, and cross state borders illegally as well with firearms. I say good for Canada for upholding your laws. And pity that some folks can't come visit and pay mind to those laws.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, aztek said:

cool, but what is there to discuss? yea some brake laws, and get caught, but yea i agree with  and then, it seems like anti-gun, anti american article, because there is nothing really to discuss here.

otoh i could pull up stats and show how Canadians are no 1 at overstaying their visas, and as a result stay here illegally, aka committing crime, knowingly, (unlike some poor sob who just forgot they had a gun in the car)  this is not anti Canadian, or anti immigration, it is anti crime.

Round them up and either charge them or deport them. 

Most don't forget they have guns in thier vehicle. Most just don't want to declare them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, and then said:

Yeah, nothing more than the usual anti-gun tripe.  Desperation just to make a point.  But:

8 hours ago, and then said:

I agree.  Obey the laws.  If you don't want to obey those laws, don't go there.  It's that simple.  And I expect everyone to feel the same when some slob comes here to the US and gets the same treatment (though...well, hypocrisy is ripe in these forums...)

• Like 2

It's so funny that people who literally want to build a wall on our border are clamoring over not being able to cross yours packing. LOL.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, glorybebe said:

If I  am travelling to another country, I take the time to read about it and it's laws.

I think this is only necessary if you're traveling to a country where bribery is commonplace. I didn't read anything about European laws and my stays were fantastic. It has nothing to do with "I'm American and therefore your laws don't apply" it's just that I'm not an idiot and I stay out of trouble. 

I have no problem with what 'Canada' did here. These people sound selfish and aren't good representations of Americans. Canadians hate on us as much as it is, we don't need people like this making it worse. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, and then said:

Inconveniencing tourists who want to see your beautiful country and spend money there seems a bit rude.  I can see fining them for the error - because in most cases I'm sure that's all it is, but to confiscate the weapon, hold their vehicle hostage and kick them out of your country is the way podunk, back road speed trap towns used to make money on unsuspecting travelers.  

So if I get caught speeding on yr highways at 160mph, will I not get fined because I`m living in Germany where such speed is common and legal? Curious.

Edited by toast

51 minutes ago, toast said:

So if I get caught speeding on yr highways at 160mph, will I not get fined because I`m living in Germany where such speed is common and legal? Curious.

you wont get fined, you will be arrested, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

it is even funnier that some believe into literal wall. lol. 

Yeah, imagine that. People believing Trump actually means the things he says. Especially that I'm for the blue collar worker thing. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, toast said:

It's a bit difficult to "forget" about such a thing I'd say.  And of course you'd be fined.  In fact you'd probably be arrested as a hazardous driver in most states - if you didn't crash and die first.  This thread is only designed to insult Americans about guns and is based on a few examples of gun confiscations at the border.  If people LIED about having guns then they knowingly broke the law and there are consequences to that.  If they simply forgot they had a pistol in an RV then they still broke the law but the reactions are the same.  Justice?  Or maybe some low end bureaucrat enjoying his little bit of power?  It's a ridiculous thread headed to a predictable end.  Enjoy the hatefest guys - I have a few better things to do these days.  Toodles

• Like 1

Canada should have locked them up for being suspected "terrorists".

For a bit more information about this..

From CBC news: Canada border agency starts campaign to remind U.S. of gun laws here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/canada-border-agency-starts-campaign-to-remind-u-s-of-gun-laws-here-1.3731109

Dear Americans;

You're more than welcome to visit Canada, but for goodness sake, leave your guns at home.

That's the message from the Canada Border Services Agency on Monday as it launched a firearms awareness campaign, reminding U.S. travellers coming to Canada that their northern neighbour's firearms laws are strict.

Canadian laws are different than U.S. ones, the agency reiterated in a news release.

The CBSA says most firearms seized at land border crossings are from U.S. travellers seeking entry to Canada.

• Like 3