Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amatrice, Italy badly hit by 6.2 Earthquake

Likely Guy

"ROME – The central Italian town of Amatrice was badly damaged by a 6.2 magnitude earthquake that struck early on Wednesday, with people trapped under the rubble, the town’s mayor said.

“The roads in and out of town are cut off. Half the town is gone,” Sergio Pirozzi, mayor of Amatrice, told RAI state television."

http://globalnews.ca/news/2899711/magnitude-6-4-quake-hits-italy-near-perugia-usgs/

My thoughts are with the residents. It happened at 3:30 a.m., most everyone was in bed.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 6

A friend has just bought a house in Italy....I asked him if it was ok, he said he does not know, they have not picked up the keys yet....hopefully they still have a door to use the key in.

But he was also aware that the area was in an Earthquake area. (good purchase?" we have yet to see!!!

There are still many old buildings, but for how long? we do not know:

Italy is a modern country and it is very well prepared for earthquakes. Even so, the shaking associated with strong, shallow tremors will test many buildings.

"A lot of the older structures would benefit from strengthening measures - we know they work - but getting them implemented in every single building is quite a challenge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18271303

• Like 3

So there were two separate quakes that hit over night. Holy cow! The devastation is unreal. :( That's definitely something I would never want to experience. It was always in the back of my mind when I lived in California. At least down here in New Orleans, our biggest natural disaster is one we can see coming and either prepare ourselves if we stay or get out of Dodge if it's too big. With a quake you have no warning. This is just gut wrenching. :( Crazy that the one in Myanmar was stronger (6.8) and yet there were no deaths.

Edited by Child of Bast
  • Like 2

The death toll is now 63 according to CNN. They are digging through rubble for survivors.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/europe/italy-earthquake-live-blog/index.html

My sympathy and prayers going out to all the people affected by this. They said it's an area that's popular with tourists. So sad.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

They said it's an area that's popular with tourists. So sad.

I listen to NPR as I drive to work and they spoke with a BBC reporter via Skype who is on holiday about 50 miles from the epicenter of the quake. Can't imagine what that's like to be just relaxing on holiday and then something like this jolts you awake.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Sorry, posted already.

True that. I'll merge the threads since there are a few comments already here...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Sorry, posted already.

My apologies on the double post, I had a quick look but missed the original thread 

• Like 1

Saw this on the news this morning.  I think the death toll was in the sixties by that time.  Thoughts are with the victims.

• Like 3

This is so horrible, my thoughts and prayers are with the poor victims of this tragedy.

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 3

Shallow normal faulting. Lots of shaking and aftershocks. From a very general perspective, one would expect reverse faulting in the overall tectonic regime (convergent), but regional extension occurs in the same area with basin opening. Really, the Alps are a highly complex place. Many styles of faulting in the area. It's as if the Appalachians were currently going up. 

This is, incidentally, this is the same convergence which is driving up the Himalayas. All Tethys Sea closure. There is a thread on how there may be a remnant of some ancient Tethys in the Med. The Med itself is, of course, a Tethyan remnant.

There have been major earthquakes near here, associated with the same tectonic triggers, as recently as 2009 (wherein hundreds of people died and thousands were left homeless.) 

Latest reports are over 150 dead. This is a staggering tragedy for the Italian people. I'm not sure how populated the area is, but this is heartbreaking news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/world/europe/italy-earthquake.html?_r=0

• Like 2

I know, my heart is breaking for the people there.   :(

• Like 1