Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive snakeskin supports 'Wessie' rumors

UM-Bot

Poor thing, probably some pet that was released because an irresponsible owner couldn't handle it's size anymore. 

• Like 2

Nothing to say it came from a twelve foot snake though. Although it's perfectly possible. Snake skins stretch once they've been shed. 

Won't last long in Maine, poor sod. The trade should be more regulated. 

• Like 1

I hope they find it and can at least bring it to a sanctuary. 

Anyone abandoning an animal, belongs in jail. 

Edited by MJNYC
  • Like 2

Regardless whether it's 10 ft or 12 ft, I want no part of it!

• Like 1

That's a big snake ... I hope they find it!

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

I find snakes in my house every fall.  Sometimes it is the live snake. Sometimes it is just a snake skin. The snake skins can be any place imaginable.  I do not mind the snakes. They are temporary visitors that are trying to keep what would like to permanent visitors out of my house. I do find it interesting that the skin was fairly linear. Rat snakes and brown racers do not do that where I live. But we are not dealing with that species since the skin is much longer than what those snakes could grow to.

I doubt the snake will be located. What we d know from the Everglades is that snake should not be imported.

• Like 1

No snakes inside, but I make sure that if I find any on my property I treat them well and not disturb them--except to move them out of the yard so I don't hit them with the mower  They kill vermin, and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome here as long for as long as I am here.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 3

I was thinking about the snake skin being laid out straight. I'll bet that was done to measure its length. A snake usually does some rubbing to remove the old skin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

I was thinking about the snake skin being laid out straight. I'll bet that was done to measure its length. A snake usually does some rubbing to remove the old skin.

I have seen a couple fairly straight ones around here, but mostly they're all bunched up.

I've never seen a 10ft snakeskin....yikes.  I have seen at least 6ft of black snake slithering off into the grass near the barn....please note that I didn't see it's head so it was at least six feet long, by my crude estimates.

• Like 1

Sounds like a hoax we did back in college - a guy had a 7 ft python with about 5 feet of skin but we left it where it was an obvious plant-in a classroom. Still scared some people.

• Like 1

I read about this. The skin was confirmed to be from an anaconda. The best guess so far is someone planted it there. However they (the local government) also said that experts say that if the snake is really there, it will die long before winter, as the weather dips down into the 60s and 50s, it will get sluggish and then die.