Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are humans so good at lying ?

UM-Bot

'Modern' humans .... just 50 to 80 years ago getting caught with a blatant lie in some situations will get one branded with a reputation of lifelong liar or the village idiot, go back further in time and the repercussions are exponentially greater ... I remember back when I was about twelve an older friend who got a slap from his mother that spun him round for lying about his whereabouts ... I still remember the manner with which his mom asked ... " say again ...? "

*SMACK*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

'Modern' humans .... just 50 to 80 years ago getting caught with a blatant lie in some situations will get one branded with a reputation of lifelong liar or the village idiot, go back further in time and the repercussions are exponentially greater ... I remember back when I was about twelve an older friend who got a slap from his mother that spun him round for lying about his whereabouts ... I still remember the manner with which his mom asked ... " say again ...? "

*SMACK*

That might have applied in the tribal or village situation, but in large cities, it is different.

Just now, Habitat said:

That might have applied in the tribal or village situation, but in large cities, it is different.

sure ... 'large' cities is in the lie of the suckered ...

~

Evolution. I'm sure being able to lie had huge survival advantages.

I forget the movie name but there is actually a funny movie that's based on the plot of humans not being able to lie

Movie, people not being able to lie, a comedy? Lying yeah adaptability or survival of the fittest mind? I know some recent movement mentions never using the infamous evolution because there's no such thing or its a PC thing etc. so yeah I'm blowing with the wind and going with survival of the fittest mind/on-the-fly-adaptation. Oh no, ah-oh left something wide open in the wind there for comments, oh well.

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Evolution. I'm sure being able to lie had huge survival advantages.

I forget the movie name but there is actually a funny movie that's based on the plot of humans not being able to lie

There are no species on Earth to compare us to. Lying requires verbal communication and the exchange of information. No other species on Earth can communicate ideas or hold a conversation.

Is it " I cannot tell a lie" or "I can lie but I choose not to" ?

anyhow ...

Dale Peterson Ph.D. The Moral Lives of Animals

Those Lying Apes

Apes like to deceive, too--but do they dislike being deceived?

Posted Dec 13, 2011

• psychology today link

Deception isn't lying. You can deceive someone without lying to them. Deception is more of an action than a relay of information. I could tell you that the supermarket is on 10th street but it is actually on 13th street. If I know that the supermarket is on 13th street then I have lied to you. Now, we take the verbal and mind-to-mind communication out of the formula and what we have left is a charade wherein I show you where the supermarket is. The deception would come into play when you are left there to fend for yourself in an area you are not familiar with. There was no lie but there was deception.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lie can happen while we both stand completely still like frozen stalagtites because no action is required, only information. Deception requires action unless I own a 3-D projector and project myself into your prescence, deceiving you into believing that I am really there but the truth is I am not there.

Edited by Zalmoxis

11 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

Movie, people not being able to lie, a comedy? Lying yeah adaptability or survival of the fittest mind? I know some recent movement mentions never using the infamous evolution because there's no such thing or its a PC thing etc. so yeah I'm blowing with the wind and going with survival of the fittest mind/on-the-fly-adaptation. Oh no, ah-oh left something wide open in the wind there for comments, oh well.

ah that's what its called

"The invention of lying"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1058017/

No way. Stars in it, YEY! a COMEDY THANKS !!!!!!!

HA! okay.  Have to check it sometime. Wasn't there a liar comedy where he was hexed or god did a double wammy on him AAAAAH I think it was that Jim Carey character, kind of funny if I remember right.  I'll have to check that one you mentioned out.TX!

Edited by MWoo7

hmmm ... laying alone or with someone ... preferably a stranger ?

~

Laying? *lol* ? complementary? :P ~ % D  yeah I suppose its similar or correlated/interrelated ...... Lying which eventually gets around to laying ? HA!

10 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

But who invented laying?

Oh! thanks Spartan for the movie flick "The invention of lying".

Edited by MWoo7
Added a thanks.

Humans are good at lying because lying works. The problem with lying is that it also frequently results in getting caught....but even then it can still work. Don't believe me, just ask Hillary Clinton.

• Like 1