Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Flying Bum' airship has crashed already

UM-Bot

Whatever happened to it, I'm glad no one was near it when it came down.  The "Bum" definitely looked front heavy.  I really don't see how an airship travelling 90 mph is cost effective unless it's a whole lot cheaper than using trucks.  Trucks will still be needed to get the materials to and from the airports being used.  I realize fuel prices are much higher in Europe than here in the US, but visions of the Hindenburg keep popping into my head.

Someone couldn't get this fat bum off the ground...?:lol: Seriously, though, I'm glad there were no injuries.

• Like 1

They'll have to find a way to use vectored thrust to keep her on an even keel while landing. The impression you get from the photo is that she's nose-heavy but that may be because of the way she's tethered. postscript: Just watched the film clip; definitely nose heavy The gondola is positioned too far forward and is too exposed.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Has anyone seen my bum?
i parked the damn thing right here... Excuse me, sir, have you seen my bum?

• Like 1

paperdyer, I don't think this is intended to replace trucks and trains. This is probably meant to get a load of cargo to a place where trucks and trains aren't well suited or as a flying cruise ship where passengers expect the trip to take days. It won't need an airport, just a large enough open space to hover as it's being loaded.
Also, this uses helium like all lighter than air craft these days. Helium can't ignite like the hydrogen used in the Hindenberg. I think the greatest danger to craft like these is wind.

Hammerclaw, I'm going to guess that there's a system for shifting the center of balance quickly that didn't work as planned. Vectored thrust is very good for keeping an even keel but for steady flight you won't want to keep spending the power needed to balance it. I agree that the gondola would have been better off farther back but this problem probably has a better solution. I think the cargo area is inside the body of the craft and the gondola is only for the pilots.

• Like 1