Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadians Top Americans in Altruism

Claire.

Nicer Up North: Canadians Top Americans in Altruism

The rumors are true: Canadians are nicer than Americans are, at least if returning lost letters is any indicator of niceness, new research finds.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

In 1983 I lost my wallet with $700 in it at a bus stop at the Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver.

The same time next day I had my wallet back, with the cash.

I had to force a $50 award on the lady that found it.

Edit: Yes, I know it was an anecdote that happened a long time ago. I just felt like sharing.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Clair said:

The rumors are true: Canadians are nicer than Americans are, at least if returning lost letters is any indicator of niceness, new research finds.

Okay, I read your source.

It can be argued so many ways. Per, "Americans donate more money to charity, per capita, than anyone else." That, is true.

I want to be funded to start a study, "If I leave a half starved puppy on a street corner, which (a Canadian or an American) will find it a home?"

Does anyone have a thousand half starved puppies I can access?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

This sort of statistic is inherently suspect.  How do you count the money handed to a beggar or put in a monk's rice bowl?  I think the statistic is derived from deductions taken on taxes.  That makes it highly suspect first because a lot of money given to others are not registered charities and second because there is a tax gain here that is rarely if ever caught.

If I give my brother's underfed family a case of milk and similar foodstuffs on a regular basis, does this count?

54 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

This sort of statistic is inherently suspect.  How do you count the money handed to a beggar or put in a monk's rice bowl?  I think the statistic is derived from deductions taken on taxes.  That makes it highly suspect first because a lot of money given to others are not registered charities and second because there is a tax gain here that is rarely if ever caught.

If I give my brother's underfed family a case of milk and similar foodstuffs on a regular basis, does this count?

This is altruism, nothing else. An act of kindness, with no expectation of reward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clair said:

But they always apologize for it. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

But they always apologize for it. 

Thanks.

Sorry, but we also say "thank you" an inordinate amount.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

It is because the Canadians keep sending their rat-b******* to go live in New York, or Chicago. Send enough idiots and greedy no goods down south, and the average "good" variable is bound to go up.

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

It is because the Canadians keep sending their rat-b******* to go live in New York, or Chicago. Send enough idiots and greedy no goods down south, and the average "good" variable is bound to go up.

Oh for heaven's sake, now the Donald is going to ave to spend even more building another Wall to keep the Canadians out? :angry: 

9 hours ago, Clair said:

But, true to form, they let the Americans call themselves the nicest, it's only fair.

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Oh for heaven's sake, now the Donald is going to ave to spend even more building another Wall to keep the Canadians out? :angry: 

Keep them out? ... Those snowy white vagabonds are prime Trump voters. We need more of the "ugly" Canadians to get The Donald elected.

• Like 3

On 2016-08-25 at 2:01 AM, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Didn't you hear? We're actually building a wall to keep American refugees out, but we're going to make America pay for it. We're making political refugees great again! :lol:

The wall we build, would be to keep Bill Clinton out. The man is a hound, and we have to protect Canadian puck.

• Like 1

He's not as powerful and he's getting old, BUT ! better to be on the safe side and get that wall done.