Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U of Chicago "No more safe spaces"

OverSword

11 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I think the universities should cater to the students. Given that going to college/university is more expensive now then ever, and that you likely will have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt when you get that four year degree.... I think you should get whatever you want.

That said, I do think "Safe Areas" or whatever are idiotic. If some idiot calls you a name, you get their name and turn them in to be kicked out. You don't run off to a roped off section of the campus to cry.

You know that all the touchy feely idiots now are going to go the picket the U of C..... Which I do hope happens, since it will pull these idiots out of their teacher/student positions at other colleges/universities and hopefully get them fired or removed from being a student. 

I grew up in south Alabama in the 60's/70's and if I came home crying about someone making fun of me I'd most likely have gotten made fun of some more or worse!  I thought that was wrong, then, but now I realize that it was my parent's way of making me understand that people are not a part of your life you can control.  All a person can control (hopefully) is themselves and their reactions.  That's a skill set and it gets honed through dealing with all kinds of people - especially the ones who disagree.  Occasionally you'll meet abrasive types that you simply cannot deal with and you move on or at least stay out of their way.  Can you imagine this crowd at work?  

And @Sweetpumper EXACTLY!  Human beings have a tendency to fail outright OR they rise to meet whatever challenge is placed before them.

• Like 4

I'm going to petition my employer to provide a safe space for me at the workplace.

Update: I was just fired.

Edited by Aftermath
Edit to update.
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2016 at 2:02 PM, Aftermath said:

I'm going to petition my employer to provide a safe space for me at the workplace.

Update: I was just fired.

Build a "Safe Place" room in a closet and then you can cry.... :cry:

(sarcasm)

On 8/30/2016 at 11:26 PM, DieChecker said:

Build a "Safe Place" room in a closet and then you can cry.... :cry:

(sarcasm)

The crazy thing is: I'm self-employed.

I'm now in discussions with my former boss to get reinstated...  FYI: Stanford is providing a safe space for students.