Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Born Gay" not scientifically supported

DieChecker

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/24/born-gay-transgender-lacks-science-evidence/

The 143-page paper, published this week in The New Atlantis journal, combs through hundreds of studies in search of a causal, biological explanation for sexual orientation and gender identity, but comes up empty.

“The belief that sexual orientation is an innate, biologically fixed human property — that people are ‘born that way’ — is not supported by scientific evidence,” says the report, written by a psychiatrist and a biostatistician at Johns Hopkins University.

“Likewise, the belief that gender identity is an innate, fixed human property independent of biological sex — so that a person might be a ‘man trapped in a woman’s body’ or a ‘woman trapped in a man’s body’ — is not supported by scientific evidence,” the report states.

The study’s authors, Drs. Lawrence S. Mayer and Paul R. McHugh, also point to evidence indicating those traits are more fluid than conventional wisdom suggests.

However, the authors stress that the lack of scientific evidence does not mean sexual orientation and gender identity are choices. Rather, additional research is needed to determine to what extent biology and environment shape sexual orientation and gender identity, and to what degree such properties are fluid, they say.

I don't expect people to accept this report, but I do think that analysis shows it is not cut and dried. 

Actually, the article was not a study but a review and summary of empirical studies. As far as I can tell, it is being touted most by conservative leaning and anti-gay organizations.

The New Atlantis describes itself as a “Journal of Technology and Society.” However, the article did not receive peer review and it shows. Lawrence Mayer, the first author, is not well known in sexuality research circles but the second author is. Paul McHugh is retired from Johns Hopkins and was responsible for discontinuing the sex reassignment program there. He also was an advisor to the Repressed Memory Foundation in the 1990s.

Quickly, the National Organization for Marriage touted the paper as “Groundbreaking New Research.” Even calling the paper a new study isn’t accurate, there are no new studies in the paper. A bunch of old ones are missing as well.

On the “born that way” claim, I find it contradictory that the authors express uncertainty about the causes of orientation but then say with great certainty that the “born that way” theory isn’t supported by scientific evidence. This line is of course meant to hook the social conservatives which indeed it has.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ6Pi7i-XOAhWBdCYKHXEyBuEQFghIMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.patheos.com%2Fblogs%2Fwarrenthrockmorton%2F2016%2F08%2F23%2Fthe-new-atlantis-study-on-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-thats-not-a-study%2F&usg=AFQjCNFNu6PID5gl2AS_2xpKooE-swjZhg

• Like 2

I don't see how they can determine if someone is born gay anymore than someone is born liking the color blue or hating sea food.  Observations after the event(several years after) is the only method of discovering these things.

I know gay dudes who suffered their whole lives until they just excepted who they are.

I, myself, in a weirdo charming misanthrope who loves and hates interacting people. It is just the person I am.

In the end I believe it is nothing more than "the heart wants what the heart wants". I can't say if that is predetermined through a serious of biological events, social interactions or other forces.

• Like 3

according to this people aren't born straight either.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, bubblykiss said:

I know gay dudes who suffered their whole lives until they just excepted who they are.

I, myself, in a weirdo charming misanthrope who loves and hates interacting people. It is just the person I am.

In the end I believe it is nothing more than "the heart wants what the heart wants". I can't say if that is predetermined through a serious of biological events, social interactions or other forces.

I think it has to a very complicated at some level.  Being a simple person, I think about the hellish existence many go through because of being gay and I cannot imagine a person willingly, knowingly putting themselves through that.  Much less an issue today but 20 - 30 years ago it was brutal.  

• Like 2

If it was a choice I would probably choose to be gay.

Would be much simpler then dealing with women lol

But that's not how my body works 

I think we are all some what  born gay, we have the organs and  straits of both male and female, its is what comes out the strongest in the personalty,  and love is love no matter what.

To add i`m certainly  no medical person of the human body  but if developed does`nt the colitius  turn into a penis and the ovaries turn into  testicles  ? Male comes from female?

Edited by docyabut2

56 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

To add i`m certainly  no medical person of the human body  but if developed does`nt the colitius  turn into a penis and the ovaries turn into  testicles  ? Male comes from female?

Yes, as I understand it all fetuses have female genitalia until a certain point in their development when those with male chromosomes usually diverge (but not all....)

Edited by karmakazi

Hang on. An 143 page article? In a technical journal? Really? 

I've read a lot of technical papers from quite a few fields in quite a few journals, but never, have I come across the like of that. 

I doubt very much, that this is real science.