Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British documentary about exorcism?

jinxed

Hi guys,

Around 10 years ago I saw on Dutch tv a British documentary on exorcism. It featured a British priest who did exorcisms. Among the cases he told about, was a family who experienced weird things in their house. When the dad was thrown from the couch, the family ended up moving. Seeing them obviously tired and at their wits end made quite an impression on me. The other case he told about was about a two older ladies (sisters I believe). They had in one of the rooms at their house a cage with birds. They suddenly stopped singing and started being aggressive. After performing a exorcism in that room, the birds started singing again and were friendly again. 

Does anyone know about which documentary or which British priest I am talking about?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jinxed

• Hudds

• Kurzweil

• oldrover

It doesn't sound like anything made by, or shown on, the main British TV channels. Unless it was Channel 5, they're really bad. 

I think you may be looking around in the murky world of UK satellite channels. 

To be honest, I doubt the guy was a 'priest' either. 

Sorry. 

Were you perhaps referring to a British (Columbian) documentary?

The programme is called "The Exorcist" and it was first broadcast on Channel 4 in February 2005. It featured a LIVE exorcism - the first real exorcism to be shown on British TV.

More than 4,000 viewers have flooded a Channel 4 helpline set up after last night's controversial broadcast of a live exorcism.

In what Channel 4 said was the highest number of helpline callers for four years, viewers telephoned in their thousands after a man, referred to as Colin, was exorcised live on the television.

The Channel 4 helpline was deluged with calls from anxious viewers despite Colin's confirmation that the exorcism was "the most relaxed deliverance I've ever had".

Just over 800,000 viewers watched the Krishnan Guru-Murthy-fronted show at 11.05pm, in which Colin was apparently purged of a demonic possession of his right foot that caused him to accelerate in his car to dangerous speeds.

Channel 4 said it set up the phone lines to offer viewers further information and advice on what it described as a "scientific experiment".

The phone service was manned by a range of professional psychiatrists and members of the Church of England and other religions.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/feb/25/broadcasting.channel41

Edited by Black Monk

On 9/4/2016 at 6:28 PM, Black Monk said:

The programme is called "The Exorcist" and it was first broadcast on Channel 4 in February 2005. It featured a LIVE exorcism - the first real exorcism to be shown on British TV.

More than 4,000 viewers have flooded a Channel 4 helpline set up after last night's controversial broadcast of a live exorcism.

In what Channel 4 said was the highest number of helpline callers for four years, viewers telephoned in their thousands after a man, referred to as Colin, was exorcised live on the television.

The Channel 4 helpline was deluged with calls from anxious viewers despite Colin's confirmation that the exorcism was "the most relaxed deliverance I've ever had".

Just over 800,000 viewers watched the Krishnan Guru-Murthy-fronted show at 11.05pm, in which Colin was apparently purged of a demonic possession of his right foot that caused him to accelerate in his car to dangerous speeds.

Channel 4 said it set up the phone lines to offer viewers further information and advice on what it described as a "scientific experiment".

The phone service was manned by a range of professional psychiatrists and members of the Church of England and other religions.

I'm glad you managed to find the one he's been hopefully looking for, BM

Edited by Hudds

• 10 months later...
On 4-9-2016 at 7:28 PM, Black Monk said:

Appreciate your comment, but unfortunately that wasn't the documentary I saw. It was about two cases at least:

- a family who experienced weird things in their house. When the dad was thrown from the couch, the family ended up moving.
- two older ladies (sisters I believe). They had in one of the rooms at their house a cage with birds. They suddenly stopped singing and started being aggressive. After performing a exorcism in that room, the birds started singing again and were friendly again.