Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to make EVP's

trevor borocz johnson

I first learned how to make EVP's about four years ago when my boss at work explained how too. This was then followed by a period of about two to three years where I believed what he had showed me was silly and he was just hearing some fan in the background that he interpreted any way he wanted to. 

They are so simple to make. You just plug a headphone or microphone into your computer, use a free download of audacity to record, and find a very quiet room. All you do is record yourself asking a question like "what street am I on?", put the mic down and record about fifteen seconds of dead silence. In Audacity there is an amplify command under the effects menu. Use that and amplify the silence in the recording as max as possible. When you listen back through headphones you can hear the white noise create a sort of rambling, you don't listen for that. Instead you will look for a voice that answers your question in a word or too that stands out from the rest of the noise in the recording. The voice is very faint, however distinct. 

I didn't believe this would work at first but after listening to the name of the street I was on clearly pronounced over and over about 100 times my mind changed and I became a believer in Edison's phenomena.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trevorjobo said:

I didn't believe this would work at first but after listening to the name of the street I was on clearly pronounced over and over about 100 times my mind changed and I became a believer in Edison's phenomena.

I am not sure if I clearly understood, what you meant above?

Were you repeating this particular procedure of recording, or listening to the playback over 100 times?

I mean playing the same recording back. For me I can only make so many EVP's in a row because although some of them are really clear others aren't or at least my verbal skills aren't good enough and I start steering the questions wrong.

46 minutes ago, trevorjobo said:

I mean playing the same recording back

There is always the possibility of pareidolia which may have an effect on a individual, especially during the process of repeatedly listening to an apparent EVP recording over 100 times.

I am not inclining in any way that EVPs are not real, as I in fact conducted countless recording sessions throughout the years. And I have learnt that fewer playback repeats are appropriate, otherwise chances of pareidolia taking effect are more than likely.

I usually advise anyone to not attempt to directly communicate with Spirits, as it may lead to consequences depending on the individual.

Edited by Hudds
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hudds said:

I usually advise anyone to not attempt to directly communicate with Spirits, as it may lead to consequences depending on the individual.

Do you have some example you're referring to or just spewing cliche's cause I've heard that before, but it might have been in the movie Poltergeist or some fantastic 80's horror fiction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trevorjobo said:

Do you have some example you're referring to or just spewing cliche's cause I've heard that before,

I gather you are not familiar with real world Spirit communication related experiences?

I am surprised that you ventured into something, and not being quite aware of possible drawbacks or consequences.

it might have been in the movie Poltergeist or some fantastic 80's horror fiction.

No, I wasn't referring to anything which may have been either inspired, or learnt from the movies.

Edited by Hudds
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hudds said:

There is always the possibility of pareidolia which may have an effect on a individual, especially during the process of repeatedly listening to an apparent EVP recording over 100 times.

I am not inclining in any way that EVPs are not real, as I in fact conducted countless recording sessions throughout the years. And I have learnt that fewer playback repeats are appropriate, otherwise chances of pareidolia taking effect are more than likely.

Hudds is correct. You shouldn't attempt to directly communicate with Spirits because its just like inviting a stranger into your Home and you dont know if they will turn violent or not. However with that being said there is a away around that. If you just leave your recorder on and just let the recorder pick up Sound Waves coming in from all directions you could still pick up incoming EVPs. For example I like to record my sleep just to see what kind of stuff I say in my sleep and I have recorded well over 400 EVPs. Some better then others and some could just be Pareidolia. During this experiment I have never directly asked them questions. They come to me. They like to talk around 3am. Most of the time they try and wake me up but I guess I am a sound sleeper and they just get p***ed when i dont respond to them hahah. I have caught the same EVP multiple times "Steven Wake up".... And i respond by just turning over in my Bed lol. Which p***es them off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemagegod said:

If you just leave your recorder on and just let the recorder pick up Sound Waves coming in from all directions you could still pick up incoming EVPs. For example I like to record my sleep just to see what kind of stuff I say in my sleep and I have recorded well over 400 EVPs. Some better then others and some could just be Pareidolia.

Trevorjobo, this is one of the methods which would be more appropriate.

Another method is either sitting down or walking around and documenting, basically about anything you may desire or from your surroundings. However, avoid documenting anything related to the Paranormal, and more importantly direct questions or communication should be avoided.

10 hours ago, Hudds said:

I gather you are not familiar with real world Spirit communication related experiences?

I am surprised that you ventured into something, and not being quite aware of possible drawbacks or consequences.

Does this include relations with a succubus?

On 8/30/2016 at 2:27 PM, stevemagegod said:

For example I like to record my sleep just to see what kind of stuff I say in my sleep and I have recorded well over 400 EVPs.

That's pretty cool man, I did something in a similar experiment http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/296291-vestibular-science-and-the-subconscious/   where I recorded the activity of my inner ear for three and a half hours while I slept. You should definitely try this. With modern audio technology available to anyone we can finally start to investigate such things. But I'm wondering if you couldn't correlate the activity from EVP's recorded just next to you as you sleep and the inner ear recordings I'm talking about, maybe record both at the same time.

Edited by trevorjobo

5 hours ago, trevorjobo said:

I recorded the activity of my inner ear for three and a half hours while I slept

May I ask what actually were you expecting to hear during playback?. 

Did you suspect Spirits inhabited your ears, I mean what gave you the idea to try this experiment in the first place?

Edited by Hudds

43 minutes ago, Hudds said:

May I ask what actually were you expecting to hear during playback?. 

Did you suspect Spirits inhabited your ears, I mean what gave you the idea to try this experiment in the first place?

Yeah that's the crazy thing, what I'm after in doing these experiments has never been formally documented. I read a post in a forum somewhere where the woman was getting a whistling in her ears just around bedtime and what it could be. You can read about my theory on this at the link I posted above but what I'm hoping for in recording the inner ear while sleeping is an identifiable pattern in the activity recorded that can be interpreted by a computer program to display and recorde a person's dream imagery. The involuntary activity I recorded was very mixed with white noise of amplifying such quiet sounds, so I'm going to compare the inner ear sleep recordings with three and a half hours of just the recorder by itself and then compare the two just to be positive that it was a something.

11 hours ago, trevorjobo said:

The involuntary activity I recorded was very mixed with white noise of amplifying such quiet sounds, so I'm going to compare the inner ear sleep recordings with three and a half hours of just the recorder by itself and then compare the two just to be positive that it was a something.

I would guess that you are perhaps most likely to capture ear pressure noise/ sound, subtle inner and outer ear movements and an increase in microphone noise? 

4 hours ago, Hudds said:

I would guess that you are perhaps most likely to capture ear pressure noise/ sound, subtle inner and outer ear movements and an increase in microphone noise? 

Maybe. Recording this very faint noise of the inner ear causes slight but detectible changes in the recording. I've also found in a google search of "ear whistling" and "telepathy" many forum posts and other of people believing that the ear whistling is a form of communication. Although I denounce the idea of thought transference, my own personal experiments which you can try and read about in the link in #10 have proven in my mind without a doubt that other people and animals do hear voluntary short tones of whistling when they are being listened for or more appropriately when they are within hearing distance, the same room or house as best as I can tell. 

Maybe. Recording this very faint noise of the inner ear causes slight but detectible changes in the recording. I've also found in a google search of "ear whistling" and "telepathy" many forum posts and other of people believing that the ear whistling is a form of communication. Although I denounce the idea of thought transference, my own personal experiments which you can try and read about in the link in #10 have proven in my mind without a doubt that other people and animals do hear voluntary short tones of whistling when they are being listened for or more appropriately when they are within hearing distance, the same room or house as best as I can tell. 

I have actually read, and found your post interesting "Vestibular science and the subconscious"

Well, I wish you all the best and success with what you are attempting to achieve, during and after your experiments. :)

• Like 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/46u9fs/do_you_experience_these_temporary_ear_tones_not/

Here's some of the only related material an internet search of ear whistling, tinnitus, telepathy, voluntary, communication, short tones, turned up. It's a question on another forum if people experience the involuntary short tone that I write about in my theory caused by thinking yourself into heightened emotion. There are other websites including a doctor Piccirillo who used head and neck movements to create voluntary tones, it doesn't say much else though. So if you carry out the animal test in the link in post #10, you'll be one of the first to observe it.

Edited by trevorjobo

On 8/29/2016 at 6:43 PM, Hudds said:

I never tried EVP but I totally agree with you. I always think of them like a techno Ouija board. 

4 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

I never tried EVP but I totally agree with you. I always think of them like a techno Ouija board

Indeed, conducting EVP sessions either in a novice or expert manner, is considered no different than using a Ouija board.

As I mentioned previously, any form of an attempt to directly communicate with Spirits can have be consequences. However, excessive amount of repeated listening to actual EVPs not only may allow Pareidolia, but may also allow an individual to fine tune his/ hers ears to hear subtle or buried voices within the noise floor within recordings. Once an individual has fine tuned his/ hers ears to many variations of Spirit voices, they may start hearing subtle to moderate level of Spirit voices outside of EVPs, as in real time/ life. Spirits may communicate and voices are heard at any time and location, and it can certainly become extensively unpleasant, annoying and regretful.

Bare in mind, not everyone will be able to fine tune they're ears to an extent to hear voices of Spirits in such way, and suffer the consequences. As it can depend on each individual, nevertheless.

I am sharing an EVP experience from one of the people I supported/ helped, during the early stages of great torment from malevolent Spirits.

"I have had an on/off interest in the paranormal for many years, but last winter I decided to "go active" for the first time, I started experimenting with EVP 

I didn't capture anything on my first few attempts and was about to give up but for some reason I kept trying 

after about 2 weeks of no results, I captured several EVPs on a single recording....they were intelligent responses to 

this captured my curiosity (unfortunatley looking back now), so I kept recording...actually it got to the point were it was becoming an everyday thing, but I started to notice voices on practically every recording I did. 

they were very faint at first and I had to listen to the recordings over and over a few times to make out much of what was being said (though I'd occasionally get louder ones with a precursor "popping sound" 
as they days went by the faint voices started to come into focus so to speak where I could hear them much better 
I became so good at this that I started to develop a dialogue with these spirits 
I would get names, when and where they lived...etc....etc... 
to my surprise, many of these spirits claimed to be the spirits of people that I had either known or knew of, eventually I came to believe I was speaking to the spirits of some friends and family members who has passed away 
I fell for it all HOOK LINE AND SINKER 
every thing seemed fine, pleasant, benevolent for about a month and a half, then I started to get some not so pleasant voices showing up in my recordings 
threats, insults, profanity, etc... 
it started off slight, but seemed to get worse by the day, until it got so bad that it practically came to dominate my recordings, but the "benevolent" voices were still there as well, so I kept at it 
then one day, while I was at my work, near a running fan, all of a sudden, very loud and clear, I started to hear these same menacing voices harassing me from over the fan noise...I was hearing this, just with my ears now 
I was freaked out to say the least, so I stopped doing EVP right then and there, but it was too late already, in the weeks that followed, I increasingly had more incidents of hearing these menacing voices, it was often, though not always over some type of background noise or carrier sound and they say (I believe the spirits use the steady source of sound to enhance a voice, same concept as using white noise when recording) 
another thing started to happen....I started to feel physical sensations as I lay in bed at night trying to sleep, it was usually a weird vibrating sensation, or the feeling of a finger literally coming up out of the mattress and poking me in the lower back....getting to sleep started to become a problem 

things escalated like this for awhile, then literally over the course of a single morning early last April, things just exploded to an extreme level..the voices were everywhere....non-stop 24/7 day and night, they were much more intense now too, some had this weird bass tone effect, where when they spoke I could literally feel the ground shaking....the physical attacks also became much more intense...sometimes I would feel intense stinging or biting sensations 
to put it mildly I became a complete vegetable for many weeks, it became hard to function at my job, anything...I called out of work allot and just lay in bed staring at the ceiling listening to this on-slaught of tormenting voices all day and night 
and the voices would constantly play mind games, they would claim to be demons and Satan one day, p****d off human spirits another day, once one of them claimed to be Jesus...they kept switching the story line 
they would constantly harass me about my "sins" and faults and literally try and psychologically break me down...it was a nightmare I find hard to put into words".

Edited by Hudds

3 hours ago, Hudds said:

Indeed, conducting EVP sessions either in a novice or expert manner, is considered no different than using a Ouija board.

As I mentioned previously, any form of an attempt to directly communicate with Spirits can have be consequences. However, excessive amount of repeated listening to actual EVPs not only may allow Pareidolia, but may also allow an individual to fine tune his/ hers ears to hear subtle or buried voices within the noise floor within recordings. Once an individual has fine tuned his/ hers ears to many variations of Spirit voices, they may start hearing subtle to moderate level of Spirit voices outside of EVPs, as in real time/ life. Spirits may communicate and voices are heard at any time and location, and it can certainly become extensively unpleasant, annoying and regretful.

Bare in mind, not everyone will be able to fine tune they're ears to an extent to hear voices of Spirits in such way, and suffer the consequences. As it can depend on each individual, nevertheless.

I am sharing an EVP experience from one of the people I supported/ helped, during the early stages of great torment from malevolent Spirits.

That's really a creepy story even if it was only psychological result as most would people would say! 

22 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

I never tried EVP but I totally agree with you. I always think of them like a techno Ouija board. 

Hudds is referring to my story, which happened to me back in the Spring of 2015 and has been a problem ever since.

yeah, sometimes if you "go deeper" into the noise, there's other layers there but that's also the danger zone I believe, if you get caught up there, yeah, your perceptions can be altered. I've been hearing tormenting voices and experiencing physical abuse everyday since

if you've ever seen Scary Larry on youtube, he's spoke about this once, I make no comment on his take on it and if he heard Satan or not, but just saying, he went deeper into the noise and found "the nasties"

I know others who also had this happened to them from EVP or Ghost Box, things involving hearing

but I also know of others who also got hit from using a Board, one guy from communicating with a pendulum and I've recently just met two others who got hit with it from channeling via automatic writing

so the risk is not just limited to EVP

these malevolent ones are masterful, and I mean masterful liars, if you start conversing with them and buying into what they tell you than that puts you into a bad place as well, I'd say Steve is right there, it's like opening the door for them and you never know what they're going to do.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, White Unicorn said:
53 minutes ago, Jerseyguy2016 said:

Hudds is referring to my story, which happened to me back in the Spring of 2015 and has been a problem ever since.

yeah, sometimes if you "go deeper" into the noise, there's other layers there but that's also the danger zone I believe, if you get caught up there, yeah, your perceptions can be altered. I've been hearing tormenting voices and experiencing physical abuse everyday since

if you've ever seen Scary Larry on youtube, he's spoke about this once, I make no comment on his take on it and if he heard Satan or not, but just saying, he went deeper into the noise and found "the nasties"

I know others who also had this happened to them from EVP or Ghost Box, things involving hearing

but I also know of others who also got hit from using a Board, one guy from communicating with a pendulum and I've recently just met two others who got hit with it from channeling via automatic writing

so the risk is not just limited to EVP

these malevolent ones are masterful, and I mean masterful liars, if you start conversing with them and buying into what they tell you than that puts you into a bad place as well, I'd say Steve is right there, it's like opening the door for them and you never know what they're going to do.

One thing leads to another when you become obsessed by it, that's a scary thing. In automatic writing you let either your own subconscious fears come out, a multiple personality or you may even be lending part of your body to something else!  It's a step beyond the Ouija board thing because you can be alone and the telephone like  instrument is not the thing used! 

in my own case, I was a real fool when I started out, I would go back over recordings over and over, trying to pull out the faint ones, then as the weeks went by, the faint ones weren't so faint anymore....so in one sense I did alter my hearing by becoming obsessed with EVP

but I also did some stupid things like inviting these spirits (when I thought they were still benevolent) into my dreams and also engaging them in direct conversations,( now I just back talk to them if that still counts) so if there's something to giving them access, legal right to attach to me, well, then I did that to

• Like 1

but this is still something I'm trying to understand, I can see how primarily my issue is with hearing them, their voices since I changed something with my hearing ever since I did EVP, I admit, I was listening deep into the noise  over and over

but the others I know who got hit with the constant voices from automatic writing or pendulum or a board,...things that don't involve listening or attuning the hearing sense,  they hear the voices in much the same way I do, so I'm not so sure how much of this is a perception issue, ( ie: unintended clairaudience) or how much of it is giving them access just by communicating with them in general and that hitting people with voices is just one of their malicious means of attack., like I said, if giving them rights to attach/attack by my own actions is a part of how it works, then yeah, I gave away the store back when I started out dabbling with EVP, I was that naïve .......or can these  entities activate perceptions in us (was it them or me?), these are things I'm still trying to understand, but probably never will

Edited by Jerseyguy2016
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked