Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lakenheath Charlie

bobharrison138

Lakenheath Charlie: I know many of you have heard stories of Lakenheath Charlie. The pilot landing without his head. But you haven't heard this one. In Sept 1968 six new troops signed into the 48th Air Police Sqdn. I was one of them. Within the first day or two you're told to beware of Lakenheath Charlie. And everything played into it. The damp rainy weather, cold lonely nights in the middle of nowhere with a rifle that won't kill a ghost, throw in the creepy English fog and it's time to party. We were never worried about the communist, just Charlie. In late 1969 we were having a relatively cold night. Lots of frost on the gate-shack windows and some fog. That night there was an Air Policeman on duty at the gate-shack nearest the Rod and Gun Club. Sometime after midnight, the sentry humping the planes in the area heard someone screaming and running. It was the guard in the gate-shack running down the taxi way to the nearest gate-shack. He was apparently in a mess and couldn't explain himself. Delta 7 was called and I happened to be a member of the Security Alert Team that night. After getting nothing from the guard, we drove straight to the gate-shack, shining the headlights inside. There was a man sitting in the guards chair, face covered in blood, and seemed to be passed out. He wasn't. As we dismounted and started shouting to put your hands in the air, her got up and stumbled outside. To shorten a long story, after the team leader Sergeant spoke to him, he said he'd been in a fight at the Rod and Gun Club. From there he just started walking and somehow ended up at the Gate-shack, and was slapping the glass trying to get the guards attention. Well with his blood dripping face, he certainly got the guards attention, and you know what the guard thought, that it was Charlie and he ran like hell. And we didn't blame him. It was all kept hush, hush, until it got out. It became a joke. Sadly, not long after, the same guard was walking behind the fence line which was in the Alert AC area. The fence separated the folks from VADO and the guard, from the Alert Aircraft. Anyway, he was walking the fence line in the snow, and said he saw footprints walking beside him, and he couldn't get away from them. Apparently he walked a bit further without his M-16 as it was on the ground near the fence and at least 10 meters from him. The Air Police Area Supervisor found him on a routine post check. He had snapped over the fear of Lakenheath Charlie. I was on stand-by that night, and was his replacement. Imagine how I felt when the area supervisor told me what happened. I didn't like it. He was committed to Lakenheath Hospital for a time and seemed to just disappear. We knew he'd never work security again, but didn't think he'd disappear. Remember, in those days if a person was suspected of having a mental illness it was not a good thing to ask questions or go see them. All TABU. So, in name Charlie may be a myth. But back in the 1960's, all us walkers or humper's, were always looking over our shoulder just in case something was walking behind us. Beware, of what's in the creepy English fog.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobharrison138

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic