Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SDF to be sent to South Sudan in first

bubblykiss

TOKYO —

Japan’s Defense Ministry is making final arrangements to allow Ground Self-Defense Force troops to be sent to South Sudan, possibly in mid-November, to conduct a fresh mission in a limited area under new security laws, a government source said Sunday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/sdf-to-be-sent-to-south-sudan-in-first-mission-under-new-security-laws

Not gonna lie. I don't like it.

One of the greatest and most courageous acts the Japanese gov't did post WW2 was abolish its army.

As an 'merican I have always felt it is 'mericas responsibility to protect and defend Japan due to this fact alone.

And China must not like this either.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bubblykiss said:

TOKYO —

Japan’s Defense Ministry is making final arrangements to allow Ground Self-Defense Force troops to be sent to South Sudan, possibly in mid-November, to conduct a fresh mission in a limited area under new security laws, a government source said Sunday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/sdf-to-be-sent-to-south-sudan-in-first-mission-under-new-security-laws

Not gonna lie. I don't like it.

One of the greatest and most courageous acts the Japanese gov't did post WW2 was abolish its army.

As an 'merican I have always felt it is 'mericas responsibility to protect and defend Japan due to this fact alone.

And China must not like this either.

I don't see nothing wrong with Japan participating in peacekeeping operations.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

They didn't abolish thier army. The is forced them to until the Korean War Flared up.

thr is also imposed the constitution of limited international operations. It's good to see Japan joining the world again.

• Like 1

They (Japan) still have an army they just call it something lame like a 'self defence force' so they don't feel bad and can atone for all the hurt they did in WW2.

11 hours ago, Silver_Lyre said:

They (Japan) still have an army they just call it something lame like a 'self defence force' so they don't feel bad and can atone for all the hurt they did in WW2.

Oh I think it might be a bit more complex than that.  

Perhaps it's the result of reflection on the 90, or so, years before WWII; commencing with the visit by Matthew Perry.

• Like 1

With a 50 billion dollar equivalent budget and allowing American bases autonomy, i don't think the Japanese are fooling anyone. They have an army, navy and airforce and they're NOT neutral or passive.

1 hour ago, Mangoze said:

Oh I think it might be a bit more complex than that.  

Perhaps it's the result of reflection on the 90, or so, years before WWII; commencing with the visit by Matthew Perry.

Not sure i get what you're trying to say about 90 years before... I'm interested.

• Like 1

Matthew Perry led an expedition to Japan in 1853.

Read a bit about it and see if it doesn't remind you of anything else.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mangoze said:

Matthew Perry led an expedition to Japan in 1853.

Read a bit about it and see if it doesn't remind you of anything else.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Surely you're not comparing inward looking Japan 200 years ago to the imperialist warmongering rising sun in the early 20th century ? The Japanese 200 years ago realised very quickly that they were no match for Western powers and they tried to isolate them selves to protect themselves. Japan in the early 20th century was a modernised and military power house able to hold its own.  

...i must confess Mangoze that i thought you were pulling my leg when you mentioned Mathew Perry. I was racking my brain how a New Yorker and his BFF were connected to Shogun Japan. Its a generational thing i guess. :)

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 6:36 AM, third_eye said:

~

800px-Yasukuni_Shrine_2012.JPG

~

Yasukuni Shrine 2012

Author Kakidai

~

Haikite Banzai ...

Not much of a Shrine if they allow the spirits of some of the most unrepentant evil human beings on the planet to reside there.  Hideki Tojo even attempted to shoot himself (through the heart no less) rather than face the rope - or - resort to the honor of the blade.  I was born 15 years after this war.  It was just black and white pictures and the occasional story heard at the knee of people who'd been there.  I bear no particular animus toward the Japanese but I think it would be a grave mistake to forget what a culture with such views on "purity and discipline" can be capable of.  I think that this particular Shrine should be exorcised publicly of all attachments to those who served in the immediate circle of the Emperor at that time.  The common soldier or sailor had no voice and while I know that many were the willing tools of the evil, many were just caught up in it.  Those who WERE in power deserve no honor whatever.

The Japanese today are still bound up in the same kind of traditions and becoming overly militarized would not be good, even now.  It's a horrible shame on my country and others that decided to "benefit" scientifically from programs run by Mengele and "Unit 731".  I recently became aware of unit 731 through a work of fiction and the fact that immunity was given to many in that organization troubles me greatly.  They made the Nazi death camp guards seem like boy scouts.  

Japan has every right today to be proud of her progress and certainly has the right of self defense but I hope the world thinks carefully before inviting them into a more traditional arrangement regarding their military any time soon.  Of all the nations that have benefited from US military support, I begrudge Japan the least.  They had ultimately to be CRUSHED in defeat before they could stop fighting but once they stopped, they behaved honorably and worked tirelessly to rebuild from the horrors of a war that should never be wholly forgotten.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, and then said:

Not much of a Shrine if they allow the spirits of some of the most unrepentant evil human beings on the planet to reside there.  Hideki Tojo even attempted to shoot himself (through the heart no less) rather than face the rope - or - resort to the honor of the blade.  I was born 15 years after this war.  It was just black and white pictures and the occasional story heard at the knee of people who'd been there.  I bear no particular animus toward the Japanese but I think it would be a grave mistake to forget what a culture with such views on "purity and discipline" can be capable of.  I think that this particular Shrine should be exorcised publicly of all attachments to those who served in the immediate circle of the Emperor at that time.  The common soldier or sailor had no voice and while I know that many were the willing tools of the evil, many were just caught up in it.  Those who WERE in power deserve no honor whatever.

The Japanese today are still bound up in the same kind of traditions and becoming overly militarized would not be good, even now.  It's a horrible shame on my country and others that decided to "benefit" scientifically from programs run by Mengele and "Unit 731".  I recently became aware of unit 731 through a work of fiction and the fact that immunity was given to many in that organization troubles me greatly.  They made the Nazi death camp guards seem like boy scouts.  

Japan has every right today to be proud of her progress and certainly has the right of self defense but I hope the world thinks carefully before inviting them into a more traditional arrangement regarding their military any time soon.  Of all the nations that have benefited from US military support, I begrudge Japan the least.  They had ultimately to be CRUSHED in defeat before they could stop fighting but once they stopped, they behaved honorably and worked tirelessly to rebuild from the horrors of a war that should never be wholly forgotten.

evidently you missed my point ... entirely ... as usual ...

US Clears $1.9 Billion Sale of KC-46A Tanker Aircraft to Japan

The U.S. State Department approved the sale on September 21.

September 23, 2016

• the diplomat com link

~
Can you hear the graves of the Pacific War Veterans all over the world turning over and kicking ?

~

Japan’s Next F-X Fighters: F-35 Wins Round 1

Aug 23, 2016 00:45 UTC by Defense Industry Daily staff

August 23/16: With a national-record breaking defense budget on the cards external linkexternal link for Japan next year, upgrades to increase the country’s air-superiority capabilities external linkexternal link are being rolled out by the government. With Japan’s F-35 deployment not due until the end of 2017, plans are underway to upgrade and upgun its current F-15J fleet. Among the changes are plans to double the number of air-to-air missiles the F-15J can carry to 16 as well as an expansion of the jet’s lifespan.

• defense industry daily link

~

10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

evidently you missed my point ... entirely ... as usual ...

• the diplomat com link

~
Can you hear the graves of the Pacific War Veterans all over the world turning over and kicking ?

~

• defense industry daily link

~

Apparently so, though I wasn't so much trying to discuss with you, that has proven impossible, I was merely speaking my mind on that Shrine.  Without further arguing though, perhaps my consistent inability to quite "get" what you are saying is not all my fault?  And yes, I suspect a lot of the guys who died on those pieces of bloody coral would be quite confused.  

What of my points about the Shrine?

Just now, and then said:

Apparently so, though I wasn't so much trying to discuss with you, that has proven impossible, I was merely speaking my mind on that Shrine.  Without further arguing though, perhaps my consistent inability to quite "get" what you are saying is not all my fault?  And yes, I suspect a lot of the guys who died on those pieces of bloody coral would be quite confused.  

What of my points about the Shrine?

You are only looking at and seeing what the SHrine means from an outsiders / foreign view point ... like I mentioned earlier ... " Hai Kite ... banzai "

literally it translate as ' come in / on / over " ... technically it kinda means like MacArthur's " I shall return "

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

You are only looking at and seeing what the SHrine means from an outsiders / foreign view point ... like I mentioned earlier ... " Hai Kite ... banzai "

literally it translate as ' come in / on / over " ... technically it kinda means like MacArthur's " I shall return "

Then I guess I am truly confused.  What is it implying/signifying to the Japanese people?  I'm sure the great majority of the youth today there do not hold the same kinds of traditions sacred but the fact that people like Tojo would be given honor in such a place leaves me cold.  Can you understand why?  What percentage of Japanese today do you think would be favorably inclined toward honoring such a man?   realize it would only be supposition but you certainly are closer to them culturally than I.

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Then I guess I am truly confused.  What is it implying/signifying to the Japanese people?  I'm sure the great majority of the youth today there do not hold the same kinds of traditions sacred but the fact that people like Tojo would be given honor in such a place leaves me cold.  Can you understand why?  What percentage of Japanese today do you think would be favorably inclined toward honoring such a man?   realize it would only be supposition but you certainly are closer to them culturally than I.

The SHrine is not any old Shrine ...

The Imperial Shrine of Yasukuni, informally known as the Yasukuni Shrine (靖国神社 or 靖國神社 Yasukuni Jinja?), is a Shinto shrine located in Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. It was founded by Emperor Meiji and commemorates those who died in service of the Empire of Japan, which existed from the Meiji Restoration of 1869 until the nation was renamed during the Allied occupation in 1947.[1] The shrine's purpose has been expanded over the years to include those who died in the wars involving Japan spanning from the entire Meiji and Taishō period, and lesser part of the Shōwa period.[2]

~
If there's anything that is symbolically and essentially and entirely Japan in material form it is the Yasukuni ... the US equivalent would be The Liberty Bell The Statue of Liberty and the Lincoln Memorial Mount Rushmore all in one spot ...

~