Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian telescope detects 'strong signal'

seeder

Alien life, or noise? Russian telescope detects 'strong signal' from sun-like star

Signal detected a year ago from HD164595, only 95 light years away and with at least one planet, but Seti scientists are scanning the area and have yet to find it

A Russian radio telescope scanning the skies has observed “a strong signal” from a nearby star, HD164595, in the constellation Hercules. The star is a scant 95 light years away and 99% of the size of Earth’s own sun. It has at least one planet, HD164595b, which is about the size of Neptune and has a 40-day year.

Seth Shostak of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute (Seti) in Mountain View, California, told the Guardian he was shocked to have learned of the discovery only now – the readings from Russian radio telescope Ratan-600, Shostak said, were taken a year ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/aug/29/russian-radio-telescope-strong-signal-hd164595-seti

• Like 3

if there was anything in it im sure the Russians would have been all over it by now. the fact its came to light now probably means after a year of the Russians looking and listening they've found nothing.

• Like 2

Probably a naturally occurring, though somewhat rare and as yet not understood event like the famous "Wow" signal... Though it would be really cool if it were intelligent aliens .... I think...

• Like 2

Before people get too excited I think it is worth reproducing the message that SETI@home sent out to its users today:

SETI@home: "Baffling" "signal" "from HD 164595" is probably none of the above.
I'm sure that many of you have seen the news reports of a "SETI signal" detected from the star HD 164595

I was one of the many people who received the the email with the subject "Candidate SETI SIGNAL DETECTED by Russians from star HD 164595 by virtue of RATAN-600 radio telescope." Since the email did come from known SETI researchers, I looked over the presentation. I was unimpressed. In one out of 39 scans that passed over star showed a signal at about 4.5 times the mean noise power with a profile somewhat like the beam profile. Of course SETI@home has seen millions of potential signals with similar characteristics, but it takes more than that to make a good candidate. Multiple detections are a minimum criterion.

Because the receivers used were making broad band measurements, there's really nothing about this "signal" that would distinguish it from a natural radio transient (stellar flare, active galactic nucleus, microlensing of a background source, etc.) There's also nothing that could distinguish it from a satellite passing through the telescope field of view. All in all, it's relatively uninteresting from a SETI standpoint.

But, of course, it's been announced to the media. Reporters won't have the background to know it's not interesting. Because the media has it, and since this business runs on media, everyone will look at it. ATA is looking at it. I assume Breakthrough will look at it. Someone will look at it with Arecibo, and we'll be along for the ride. And I'll check the SETI@home database around that position. And we'll all find nothing. It's not our first time at this rodeo, so we know how it works.

Source: SETI@home

Given that SETI@home's purpose is to discover signals of alien origin the fact that they are extremely dismissive should be a warning to not get too excited about this.

• Like 7

I read more today about SETI commenting their search is more intregate than the Russian data obtained. The Russian signal included a wider area monitoring and may have even included solar signals and multiple planets. I await SETI results before I'd get excited about Russians finding a WOW signal.

• Like 2

In an article I read on the Clinton News Network, as well as the article linked, it mentioned that this signal was detected in May of 2015.  Since that time no other signal has been received.  http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/health/seti-signal-hd-164595-alien-civilization/index.html

Among other things, it reads, "...the greatest limitation of the May 2015 signal is that it hasn't been replicated. Before we can give any credence to a signal as coming from extraterrestrials, we need to see it repeatedly to make sure it wasn't just a transient phenomenon."

So, unfortunately or fortunately, it's probably not aliens.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BeastieRunner said:

Doesn't sound like aliens to me, either.

And what do you think aliens would sound like exactly?

• Like 2

' Take me to your Leader ' ?

• Like 1

and were never going to hear about it...

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

How can you possibly say that when the information was made public?

• Like 4

Update from SETI Institute website. 

August 30, 2016

We spent a second day looking for radio emission from HD 164595, this time stepping across the radio dial to cover all the frequencies observed by the Russian astronomers. We failed to see any signal greater than 0.1 Janskys in a bandwidth of 100 MHz, whereas the claim by the Russians was a signal of 0.75 Janskys. Despite the fact that it would be both exciting and enticing to say that this signal was really from aliens inhabiting HD 164595, that would be an unwarranted assertion given the inability to confirm this signal. In the SETI business, one telescope is not enough and an array is even better

19 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

20 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

For starters, it probably wouldn't be a one-off anomaly.

20 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I saw  NBC news yesterday  make the announcement of the signal picked up by Russia. They said if it was made by aliens they would be more advanced then us. They said SETI was going to monitor the area. 

Any idea where NBC got that idea? Is it just because we are picking up on an old signal? NBC didn't give many details but eluded to the signal being alien and more advanced than us. I thought it was a very weird media breaking news announcement to make or is it just me?

UPDATE

Russian scientists are now saying that the signal had an earthly cause.

"Subsequent processing and analysis of the signal revealed its most probable terrestrial origin," astronomer Yulia Sotnikova wrote in an update published today (Aug. 31) by the Special Astrophysical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. "It can be said with confidence that no sought-for signal has been detected yet."

The May 2015 signal may have been caused by a Russian military satellite. Such a spacecraft was responsible for a similar detection during the Soviet period, Alexander Ipatov, director of the Institute of Applied Astronomy at the Russian Academy of Sciences, told the Russian news agency TASS.

Source: Space.com

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

How can you possibly say that when the information was made public?

because this is what is usually happens. We all get excited by some mysterious news and under the promise will hear more about , it just dies nothing is heard about it again ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

because this is what is usually happens. We all get excited by some mysterious news and under the promise will hear more about , it just dies nothing is heard about it again ... 

That is not answering the question in any kind of logical or intelligent way (no change there then).

You have claimed:

you made this claim AFTER the information was made public. Surely even you can see just how moronic your claim is.

And who is getting excited?  Are you actually able to understand the majority of posts in this topic explaining why this isn't exciting?

5 hours ago, Clair said:

UPDATERussian scientists are now saying that the signal had an earthly cause.

"Subsequent processing and analysis of the signal revealed its most probable terrestrial origin," astronomer Yulia Sotnikova wrote in an update published today (Aug. 31) by the Special Astrophysical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. "It can be said with confidence that no sought-for signal has been detected yet."

If it was Malaysia Celebrating the National Day a bit too vociferously ... I most sincerely apologise on behalf of Malaysia ... :yes:

~

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 5:12 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Probably because there's nothing else to hear.

• Like 1