Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Earth vulnerable to mini black holes ?

UM-Bot

14 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Since I read a while ago, the some scientists think black holes are gateways to other universes, provided you can withstand the gravity, I wonder IF someone in another universe has found a way to beat this, the mini black holes may account for shadow creatures and other paranormal activities that currently don't have accepted explanations.  Just thouwing this out there for some discussion.

You mean like the movie Interstellar? That was flat out Sci Fi. I thought the bits about the black holes was complete rubbish. If even light bends at the event horizon and doesn't actually touch the singularity... then what chance does a mere human built, rickety, spacecraft really have of busting through. Zero. Zero is the answer. Not approaching zero, but actually zero.

I think the only way a black hole could be a gateway to another reality is that as it is approached, it would stretch reality, such that to those outside in the regular universe, those heading in would seem to exist somewhere else, because time would work so much differently for the two groups.

I was tired while I wrote that. Yeah your right. The black hole would suck the whole planet in. Atmosphere and oceans first followed by the globe. I might be wrong but I think the small mass of that black hole body wouldn't be high enough to sustain itself in the form its in for long anyway. The binding force of the gravity's too weak. Instead the rules of normal physics come into action and it expands as space itself expands. Previously it and countless others have been held together by the forces inside a very small brand new universe. Like the bubbles in a bottle of fizzy drink. Take the cap off and the bubbles get bigger. I have my own theory when it comes to the formation of the universe and others nearby but it's a long theory and I don't want to take up the site's space.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:44 AM, DieChecker said:

You mean like the movie Interstellar? That was flat out Sci Fi. I thought the bits about the black holes was complete rubbish. If even light bends at the event horizon and doesn't actually touch the singularity... then what chance does a mere human built, rickety, spacecraft really have of busting through. Zero. Zero is the answer. Not approaching zero, but actually zero.

I think the only way a black hole could be a gateway to another reality is that as it is approached, it would stretch reality, such that to those outside in the regular universe, those heading in would seem to exist somewhere else, because time would work so much differently for the two groups.

I haven't watched that movie yet or even looked at the trailer.

At the center of our galaxy, and most others, there is a supermassive black hole. If we got anywhere near that, our tiny little planet would be destroyed. Also, I was under the impression that black holes don't move. Do they?

31 minutes ago, draco inquisitorem said:

At the center of our galaxy, and most others, there is a supermassive black hole. If we got anywhere near that, our tiny little planet would be destroyed. Also, I was under the impression that black holes don't move. Do they?

A black hole with the mass of a star will to all intents and purposes move just like a star, until you get very close - only then does things start to change significantly. The first black hole discovered is orbiting another star, just like so many other binary stars does.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_X-1

So yes black holes do move.

You are right that the Earth would be utterly destroyed if it got within the event horizon of a super massive black hole, but even at the speed of light it would take 30000 years to get there - No need to worry yet ! :P 

• Like 1