Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicago Officers Face Firing Over Slaying

Claire.

Five Chicago officers face firing over slaying of black teen.

The chief of Chicago's police department recommended on Tuesday that five officers be fired over their role in the 2014 shooting death of an black teenager, an incident that heaped national scrutiny on the nation's second largest police force.

Superintendent Eddie Johnson recommended to the Chicago Police Board that officer Jason Van Dyke who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times, be fired, along with another four officers. The shooting made national headlines and sparked wide protests after the release of a dashboard video more than a year after the incident. The video shows the officer continued to fire after McDonald, 17, had fallen to the ground. The Chicago Police Department has been under federal investigation over officers' use of lethal force.

Read more: Reuters

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

A firing!? That'll teach him.

He's also facing charges of first degree murder. The other cops are facing charges for filing false statements about the shooting.

• Like 3

Maybe there will be more details/specifics before it disappears.  I'm not in their shoes, I'm not saying too much, some good, some bad and even good one's can make a mistake especially at night in the dark alleys/streets etc. ? 16 times ? hmm.

20 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

16 times? Surely he reloaded.

I guess you don't remember the old westerns,where a man riding a horse could shoot 3-4 men out of their saddles with one shot.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Zenith said:

He's also facing charges of first degree murder. The other cops are facing charges for filing false statements about the shooting.

murder 1 will be thrown out,  Da knew the charge wont stand, he did that on purpose to get the cop acquitted. if he charged with murder 2, or voluntarily manslaughter, it would stick, but not  murder 1. watch this cop walk away.

the other charges are slap on the wrist for cops. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

murder 1 will be thrown out,  Da knew the charge wont stand, he did that on purpose to get the cop acquitted. if he charged with murder 2, or voluntarily manslaughter, it would stick, but not  murder 1. watch this cop walk away.

That appears to be the way things go.

4 hours ago, aztek said:

At times I think you make no sense.  ;)Then I read this, and realize you make too much sense.   I think you are dead on with this.

15 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

16 times? Surely he reloaded.

Fifteen round clip, one in the chamber?

30 minutes ago, Euphorbia said:

Fifteen round clip, one in the chamber?

Magazine, not clip.  But you're most likely right about the number of rounds carried in the weapon.  And yes, regardless if the departed deserved to be shot or not, 16 rounds is absolutely unnecessary and excessive.  And if he actually  murdered that person, firing is too good for him.