Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds Argentina's rotating island

UM-Bot

The Google photo of Eye Island floating in an almost perfect circular is very mysterious and it doesn't appear natural. I look forward to a scientific investigation of the geology of this island. I'm glad the filmmakers brought it to our attention, it is very interesting to say the least.

• Like 2

I looked into this further and an explanation I found on another site makes sense to me:

I bet money that this is not an "island," per se, but a clump of floating organic matter that is supporting enough life on it to look like it is solid land. This is a pretty common occurrence in swampy areas. 

I'm guessing that there is a naturally occurring whirlpool-type flow of water beneath that, just enough to have broken an amount of the floating vegetation away from the rest of it and swirling it around in such a way that it has created a relatively perfect circle. 

I mean it's situated in a delta region which will have flowing water, even if it's not visible from the air. 

• Like 7

Doubtless the island and the pond are circular due to the constant movement.

It will be interesting to read why the island floats around. even if it is just organic matter, you'd think that it would be heavy enough to sink in the middle, especially in such a small pond.

• Like 4

Floating islands are a rare natural thing, here is a link to a scientific article on floating islands:
https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/why-manage-plants/tussocks-and-floating-islands/

This could be constructed although not easily. I would like to see scuba divers swim underneath The Eye however far that they can and see if it is connected to a gear that rotates it. The water being much clearer than similar natural formations in the same area could be the result of a water filtration system integrated into The Eye itself. It certainly looks manmade and I wouldn't be so quick to call it paranormal. It's a great landshaping idea if you're an architect.

Anywho, here is a link to an article on the same thing in the Daily Mail UK:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3764027/Is-mysterious-eye-island-near-Argentina-hiding-alien-base-Kickstarter-campaign-investigate-bizarre-rotating-island-launched.html

• Like 3

Really, really cool.  I'm sure the UFOists will have their own explanations as the floating islands are rare.  THe island is evidently not attached to the lower layers of the Earth our is wouldn't be movong in the first place.

It was discovered by filmmakers working on the pre-production of a new horror movie in the area which is based on real-life accounts of UFOs, ghosts and other paranormal encounters

So basically they understood they could earn more money inventing a story and selling it for real,  rather than filming the actual movie. 

And if the kickstarter campaign goes well,  they'll make a movie out of that. 

Less costs,  more return on investments and more publicity than a regular horror b movie. 

Am I too cynical?

• Like 3

God I can't watch that video. People are so credulous. It isn't a perfect circle. It just isn't. When you draw a thick circle over the top, sure, it looks perfect, but it isn't. As mentioned, it was probably some sinkhole with floating vegetation in the middle.

My guess is someone is trying to hype up their little horror movie.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, Parsec said:

So basically they understood they could earn more money inventing a story and selling it for real,  rather than filming the actual movie. 

And if the kickstarter campaign goes well,  they'll make a movie out of that. 

Less costs,  more return on investments and more publicity than a regular horror b movie. 

Am I too cynical?

No!

The hand of man is not required for flowing water to create circular features.  http://www.inforum.com/news/3908987-video-unusual-spinning-ice-circle-draw-minnesota

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The hand of man is not required for flowing water to create circular features.  http://www.inforum.com/news/3908987-video-unusual-spinning-ice-circle-draw-minnesota

The thing I think is unusual about the Eye is it's a warm area, so  where's the cold water coming from? Springs have cool water from the ground but water is a little warm in the summer. 

When we get the hype UFO movie from the film makers, I'm  sure we have real scientists come out to debunk it. That will be just as interesting to me as the movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

The thing I think is unusual about the Eye is it's a warm area, so  where's the cold water coming from? Springs have cool water from the ground but water is a little warm in the summer. 

When we get the hype UFO movie from the film makers, I'm  sure we have real scientists come out to debunk it. That will be just as interesting to me as the movie.

Situated in the delta of the Parana River near Buenos Aires, this unusual-looking island gives the appearance of floating within a tiny circular lake that is itself only around 120 meters across. - Sorry, don't understand your question. Flowing water creating circular motion is not temperature specific.

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Situated in the delta of the Parana River near Buenos Aires, this unusual-looking island gives the appearance of floating within a tiny circular lake that is itself only around 120 meters across. - Sorry, don't understand your question. Flowing water creating circular motion is not temperature specific.

The filmmakers said the water was very cold in the Eye. I understand that natural circular  flowing water can create these things. I just thought if the water was icy cold in a warm swampy environment , the coldness of the water mentioned was the weirdness of it to me. 

5 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

The filmmakers said the water was very cold in the Eye. I understand that natural circular  flowing water can create these things. I just thought if the water was icy cold in a warm swampy environment , the coldness of the water mentioned was the weirdness of it to me. 

A temperature measurement would be more informative. A small difference can seem "very cold" depending the ambient air temperature. It could also be fed by and underground aquifer where the water is always colder.

• Like 2

An upwelling in that location would allow for cold water, and clear water. Also water coming up would, to me, seem to fit better with the appearance of the circular pond (I'm not calling it a lake), because the upwelling water would move the "island" around fairly evenly, making the pond and the island round.

13 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

A temperature measurement would be more informative. A small difference can seem "very cold" depending the ambient air temperature. It could also be fed by and underground aquifer where the water is always colder.

I think if the filmakers come up with a movie on TV, I will watch it like the Ancient Alien show for fun. I watch AA to see the ancient sights etc, but whenever it says AA theorists believe or say yes I turn off the sound because I just can't take the UFO exaggerated hype! 

On 9/1/2016 at 1:58 PM, Emma_Acid said:

God I can't watch that video. People are so credulous. It isn't a perfect circle. It just isn't. When you draw a thick circle over the top, sure, it looks perfect, but it isn't. As mentioned, it was probably some sinkhole with floating vegetation in the middle.

My guess is someone is trying to hype up their little horror movie.

I agree. The person who said they were "perfect circles" should be ashamed. The outer one looks fairly circular but the inner one is very far from circular.

• Like 1