Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Live thylacine allegedly caught on camera

UM-Bot

On 9/12/2016 at 9:22 PM, SSilhouette said:

That tail is only about half the length of the "dog" caught on the video. 

1.  There is some variation in tail length among individual dingos, so this claim is meaningless.

2.  As oldrover mentioned, motion compression artefacts plus unknown source combined plus unknown image processing algorithms plus unknown extra compression for web streaming readiness mean that this video as presented is worthless as evidence to support anything except that someone posted a video online.

3.  If it is not possible to use this video to make accurate measurements of the subject, then it is meaningless claim that this is a modern living thylacine.

But in spite of all this, I'll continue to play along:

4.  If, as you claim, accurate measurements are possible using this video, then a quick measurement and comparison of this subject's metatarsals to its phalanges show that the subject is a canid or was modeled from one.

PT_Fox_Thylacine.jpg.

Source for fox:  "Arctic Fox Walk & Trot (Slow Motion Animation Reference)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqcZoZBG_k at around 3:00.

Edit:  I used the fox video because it was handy, but a dingo leg is comparable.

Edited by OptimisticSkeptic
  • Like 2

I think to some people, the tiger is basically just a stripey dog. Without any history, without being unique and without representing a novel example of a mid sized mammalian predator, without any living comparison outside of Metatheria. 

I wonder sometimes if they think the fact that it's a marsupial is a bit of an affectation. Rather than being a fundamental difference, which means that it had evolved for tens of millions of years independently of the ancestors of canids. 

Hardly anyone bothers to look at it beyond a couple of Youtube videos and maybe a quick skim through Wikipedia. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

The third video by the 'Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia'. It doesn't feature any new fox footage, instead it deals with supposed footprint casts.

There's not much to say about it really. The tag on Youtube says that it's a witness explaining the difference between dog, fox and tiger footprints. 

The witness isn't identified, there's nothing to say whether she's qualified to give the explanation she does. Neither does it give any context for any of the casts. 

It is pointless. 

Well folks I have to disappoint you, I am a retired professional shootter (60 years bush and shooting experience). I started hunting at 8 years of age and only retired a few years ago at 68. I am now 71. Have hunted and trapped in every state of Australia and can tell you, that is definitely a fox. FYI - the fox population in cities is greater than in the country so seeing a fox in urban surrounds is really not uncommon

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Deyve said:

Well folks I have to disappoint you, I am a retired professional shootter (60 years bush and shooting experience). I started hunting at 8 years of age and only retired a few years ago at 68. I am now 71. Have hunted and trapped in every state of Australia and can tell you, that is definitely a fox. FYI - the fox population in cities is greater than in the country so seeing a fox in urban surrounds is really not uncommon

Yes, I think almost all of us here have the same opinion. In Wales, urban foxes are really common. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. I can't comment on the prints there though, other than to say that I don't have the experience to say anything useful about them. 

The last video these people released was obviously a fox.