Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is the opposite of everything?

educated cAVEmAN

if nothing is the absence of something...what is the opposite?

in the same sence that darkness is the lack of light ...what is the opposite of light??...

i posted this question on another thread but it wasnt answered...i really want to know if anybody has any ideas

With the first question I think you've answred it yourself;

Nothing is the opposite of something, and visa versa.

As for the second question, I guess it depends on the context of the word 'Light'.

I presume you mean 'light' as an adjective rather than the noun. As in "Outside it is light" therefore again you've answered your own question, the opposite of light is dark.

If you mean 'light' as a noun as in "The light is coming in through the window" then there is no opposite. That's like saying what's the opposite of a table, there isn't one.

Well, that's my thoughts on the matter anyway thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

dammit...i dindt answer any of my own questions...darkness is the absence of lighjt not the opposite...the same goes for nothing...

...erm, to me you have. Darkness is the absence of light, I agree, but doesn't that also make it the opposite?

If we can agree that 'Stop' is the opposite of 'Go' then you could say "Stopping is the absence of someone going".

Perhaps you can ask your question a bit more clearly maybe I'm not getting the point.

• Like 1

dammit...i dindt answer any of my own questions...darkness is the absence of lighjt not the opposite...the same goes for nothing...

417584[/snapback]

They are all the same thing. Just opposite ends of the same pole. You can't know dark without knowing light. Just as you can't have a front without a back.

in the same sence that darkness is the lack of light ...what is the opposite of light??...

417570[/snapback]

Surely you have answered your question, the opposite of light is darkness,meaning lack of light. huh.gif

How can you make something out of nothing?

And, what is something when there is nothing?

So many questions to ponder the mind -

My thoughts move ahead leaving my body behind.

Something is nothing when you stop to consider

This world is but an illusion with it’s passion and glitter.

How can you make something out of nothing

When nothing is EVERYTHING?

418183[/snapback]

According to a bit i've read lately and seen on respectable science shows, there is no "nothing", it is called dark matter. Research into it is at a pioneering stage.

I don't pretend to understand 90% of this link... http://www.shef.ac.uk/physics/research/pppa/reports/0006.pdf

This one is more palatable... http://astron.berkeley.edu/~mwhite/darkmatter/dm.html

original.gif

well actually dark matter is something, its the opposite of matter, when dark matter and matter collide they both cancel each other out and become nothing, they can not become nothing if they are allready nothing, what nothing is, is what is outside of the universe, better yet how do you feel when you are dead....nothing

Nothing is like what you experienced for the 4.5 billion years you wasnt concious on earth.

wasnt so bad was it?

...erm, to me you have. Darkness is the absence of light, I agree, but doesn't that also make it the opposite?

If we can agree that 'Stop' is the opposite of 'Go' then you could say "Stopping is the absence of someone going".

Perhaps you can ask your question a bit more clearly maybe I'm not getting the point.

stoping isnt the opposite of going...going the oposite direction would be the opposte...eg walking forward then walking backward...my question is...if you have everything and you take it all away you have nothing...but if u take more away what do u have?

if you took away everything there isnt anything else to take away though

• Like 1

if you took away everything there isnt anything else to take away though

what if u started taking away the nothing??...i know this would sorta make nothing part of something but...whoa i confused myself...

i think i finaly just figured out my own question...the oppostie of everything is non existance...thnx to all who posted...plz still fell free to post flaws in my theory

The opposite of a chair is the non-existence of the chair? unsure.gif

Bah, If you want your cup to be full it is because it is empty.

If you know light exists it is because of obscurity. sleepy.gif

The opposite of a chair is the non-existence of the chair? 

thats not what i am saying....to have a chair u have to have other things as well...(wood and sh**) i mean if everything was gone EVERYTHING!! then u took away the nothingness then u would have non existence, nothing would exist...or shout i say wouldnt?

thats not what i am saying....to have a chair u have to have other things as well...(wood and sh**) i mean if everything was gone EVERYTHING!! then u took away the nothingness then u would have non existence, nothing would exist...or shout i say wouldnt?

419169[/snapback]

Well there has to be something in nothing. If there was nothing in nothing there would not be anything.

user posted image

Well there has to be something in nothing. If there was nothing in nothing there would not be anything

no..thats why its called nothing....no- thing...not anything...

throne of god??...blah... that takes religion...i am atheist

Edited by educated cAVEmAN

better yet how do you feel when you are dead....nothing

418847[/snapback]

That is very much subject to debate... wink2.gif

better yet how do you feel when you are dead....nothing

418847[/snapback]

That is very much subject to debate... wink2.gif

419894[/snapback]

wink2.gif

black can be the opposite of white, laughing can be the opposite from crying. Opposite depends if you have placed a word in a category that is opposite from the comparisom if in an opposite catagory. What is the definition of opposite in your eyes?

419169[/snapback]

that`s a really good question, yet it makes one wonder about the fact that there would be absolutely nothing, how would it be? the universe as a giant vacuum, without even particles, and atoms? weird, indeed, but quite plausible, if there were sufficient anti-matter (or dark matter, if you prefer) interisting thought, i salute you

The universe, or "reality" as we know it, is not just composed of particles whizzing about and photons crossing through. They all are part of something much more grand, call it dimensions, God, the "matrix", whatever.

What this might involve I have no clue.

The universe, or "reality" as we know it, is not just composed of particles whizzing about and photons crossing through. They all are part of something much more grand, call it dimensions, God, the "matrix", whatever.

What this might involve I have no clue.

What do you think of it being a hollographic energy?

sorry to be off topic but I struggle with what oppisite means, curious cause I like to look at things on a nano scale.

Why does everything have to be the polar opposite of nothing? At the level of subatomic particles they exist as one and the same in pure probability. The positive and negative matrices of an electron cancel out to zero which by definition means that they are nothing and everything. Being 3D beings stuck to an arrow of time it is hard for us to fathom such things. For things to work in our world we must recognize cause and effect. If there really were no time at the quantum level cause and effect would be meaningless.

that`s a really good question, yet it makes one wonder about the fact that there would be absolutely nothing, how would it be? the universe as a giant vacuum, without even particles, and atoms? weird, indeed, but quite plausible, if there were sufficient anti-matter (or dark matter, if you prefer) interisting thought, i salute you

thank you...

black can be the opposite of white, laughing can be the opposite from crying. Opposite depends if you have placed a word in a category that is opposite from the comparisom if in an opposite catagory. What is the definition of opposite in your eyes?

the definition of opposite in my eyes is take something, then figure out what makes it what it is...take that away then add what makes it NOT what it is...i have trouble explaining but thats my theory...if u can figure it out