Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Is Making 'Star Trek' Tech a Reality

Claire.

NASA Is Making 'Star Trek' Tech a Reality

"Star Trek" technologies are starting to become a reality in our everyday lives; just ask anyone who owns a cellphone or tries a virtual reality headset. But how real are these "Star Trek" technologies in space today, 50 years after the iconic science fiction series' TV debut? While the tech for warp drives and transporters remains elusive, NASA is using some technology in space that would be at home on the starship Enterprise.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

NASA needs a guy named Spock that's only purpose is to say that "live long and prosper" thing with the hand gesture. But in fast motion and non stop while the astronauts are working.

On every mission.

Edited by Kurzweil
  • Like 4

If it ain't Beam me up Scotty it ain't there yet ...

~

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wont be holding my breath waiting for Warp Drive.

Good luck to Stephen Hawkins and Project Breakthrough Starshot! :tu: 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? The way Science/technology has developed alongside Star Trek is amazing

• Like 2

I had always wanted to have a cuppa tea with Mr Spock ... ever since I was a kid ... still do ... ahhhh Mr Nimoy ... how doth I miss thee ~

~ still remembers Mr Nimoy hosting the In Search Of series on TV ... this one with Ancient Mysteries is a fine one too -

~

~ running time 00.45.30

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 11:38 AM, S I N said:

I just wanna play on a Holodeck

if you have a pc you have one

2 hours ago, danielost said:

if you have a pc you have one

If you think a PC is anything like Star Trek's holodecks then you don't understand either concept. 

• Like 6

On 9/30/2016 at 3:46 AM, third_eye said:

I had always wanted to have a cuppa tea with Mr Spock ... ever since I was a kid ... still do ... ahhhh Mr Nimoy ... how doth I miss thee ~

~ still remembers Mr Nimoy hosting the In Search Of series on TV ... this one with Ancient Mysteries is a fine one too -

Apologies, briefly OT here, Leonard Nimoy got a few mentions in the William Shatner Roast on the TV last night, some of it was pretty darn funny too. Betty White was a crack up. 

Sorry, just thought you might like to know that I am a Trek fan myself. Takei copped a roasting too, but it was nice that nobody forgot good old Spock. I agree, he was a great character. 

A Shatner roast eh ?

SHould be good ... I wonder if I could get a peek at it on the net ... good to know and thanks for the heads up

Good for Will too ... the fella aged well ... in fact I think he did his best stuff this decade ... Boston Legal stands out heads and shoulders for me  ... bet Nimoy was there too one way or another

~ much appreciated ~

Edited by third_eye
keyboard spaz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

A Shatner roast eh ?

SHould be good ... I wonder if I could get a peek at it on the net ... good to know and thanks for the heads up

Good for Will too ... the fella aged well ... in fact I think he did his best stuff this decade ... Boston Legal stands out heads and shoulders for me  ... bet Nimoy was there too one way or another

~ much appreciated ~

Most welcome.

I am 99.9% sure it was Comedy Central, as such, it should be online someplace. It was on our Channel 9,  they have an online viewer, not sure if it can be viewed outside the country, but if it can, you should find it here

LINK

He did indeed age well, and he seemed to be in stitches laughing at himself most of the time, he is a good sport. Sulu (George Takei), having come out of the closet got quite a roasting along the way too, but he gave as good as he got I thought, all in good spirit. Andy Dick was there and seemed to not take it quite as well. Maybe his style, not sure, but I swear a couple of times he seemed really annoyed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Most welcome.

I am 99.9% sure it was Comedy Central, as such, it should be online someplace. It was on our Channel 9,  they have an online viewer, not sure if it can be viewed outside the country, but if it can, you should find it here

LINK

He did indeed age well, and he seemed to be in stitches laughing at himself most of the time, he is a good sport. Sulu (George Takei), having come out of the closet got quite a roasting along the way too, but he gave as good as he got I thought, all in good spirit. Andy Dick was there and seemed to not take it quite as well. Maybe his style, not sure, but I swear a couple of times he seemed really annoyed. 

Cools ... I'll keep a triple eye out for it ...

I got to close out my week before Saturday lumbers by ... have to run ... thanks again ~ :tu:

~

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Cools ... I'll keep a triple eye out for it ...

I got to close out my week before Saturday lumbers by ... have to run ... thanks again ~ :tu:

~

:tu: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow Its Good To See some of us Still Read this Thread, and Post ! Good to See you "psyche101"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DONTEATUS said:

Wow Its Good To See some of us Still Read this Thread, and Post ! Good to See you "psyche101"

Two months ago. :P 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2016 at 3:30 AM, DONTEATUS said:

Good to see you too mate! Been watching you on the old FB ;)  looks like the last year has been a good one!!

On 12/11/2016 at 6:24 AM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Two months ago. :P 

Still here! :D Much to the chagrin of the more credulous posters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love how before making any episode they checked with NASA to make sure it was.....say politically correct before they aired any episode........