Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guilt

Wes4747

30 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Here is my struggle, has he completely changed? I don't know how to be sure. But I just can't imagine this guy doing something that bad??! 

I hate prison, and I think it throws society off.  However, for rapist, murderers, etc., for society to feel safe we lock them up. It doesn't change the person nor do we extensively investigate the causes of the pathologies. And when we can label them, when do we go out and eliminate the environment that opens the door for these expressions?

Consider Charles Manson. Paraphrased quote-I took societies rejects, misfits and gave them a sense of belonging and importance in a world that turned its back on them.- strong words that speak to our society.. We cast out what doesn't fit, and the ones out there struggling- how do they get help in a world of judgements? 

Lol that's topic that could be a thread of its own.

As for the him changing. Only he will probably be able to know that for sure. I lean towards the change being legit since he feels gultiy about it. He even felt the need to mention it to you. It's the people who don't feel gultiy about what they have done that we should most worry about. 

A topic like this a really gray area. 

That's an interesting quote too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 14/09/2016 at 3:22 PM, Wes4747 said:

I agree with this, and this appears to be his struggle. If the left hand offends, cut it off situation . I think he wants too, but how hard would it be to literally cut off your own hand?

For him, I suspect it would change every aspect of his life and freedom. And  not sure the guilt would subside if he were to fess up..

As far as his moral character, absolutely it shows something. Perhaps weakness.. But could it not be perceived as a willingness to do right and a desire to get it out? I see it being just as likely that his morals are flawed..

I disagree. His attempt to ask for advice doesn't show a moral flaw. My perception on this is a) in his mind what he did is very wrong. But over years our perception of what happened changes.  And what he did wrong to his standard was wrong. In everything we do in life there are victims. You bump someone and their lunch falls. Do u even know if that was their last money they spent on that food? Maybe they bought it for someone in need if food. So actions have victims.

That he needs to get this of his chest is clear. And that he wants someone not to judge is needed. He wants to tell you but he fears the judgement. Can be a simple test of friendship.  If he wished u harm those fishing trips would have been ideal.

We fear the unknown...okay some fear the unknown. Would what he tells you influence the kind of friend he has been all these years? No.

It is our.perception of what was done that influence how we perceive that person. And that is what he fears.  

• Like 1

Read my own post and realised I missed my own point. Wow.

Trying to say as well. In his head what he did was very bad, but it was measured according to his standards. It might actually not be that bad. In his mind after years of toiling with this in his mind it is unforgivable.

All actions have consequences ( that part came out right)

We have no idea HOW his actions influenced anyone.  And being a get away driver while people rob a place...well you drive the car...is it  so bad ( statement....rhetorical)

• Like 1

I would say to just spend a lot of time meditating on releasing and letting go of the guilt.  Eventually the meditation becomes you.  Fessing up, going to prison, facing the consequences and all this doesn't necessarily do anything about the feeling of guilt.  To control one's own psychology one must perform a Magick of sorts I believe.  That which starts with realizing the self completely or something.  And the path to doing that is through meditation I think.

Become a yogi master or something, learn how to completely control every aspect of your being.  Resolve the guilt through this way.

Guilt is just an emotion perpetuated be certain thoughts.  Let go of the thoughts I'd say.  Something to do over time but eventually you'll potentially just reach enlightenment anyway.  There's a lot of power in meditation I'm finding.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PsiSeeker said:

I would say to just spend a lot of time meditating on releasing and letting go of the guilt.  Eventually the meditation becomes you.  Fessing up, going to prison, facing the consequences and all this doesn't necessarily do anything about the feeling of guilt.  To control one's own psychology one must perform a Magick of sorts I believe.  That which starts with realizing the self completely or something.  And the path to doing that is through meditation I think.

Become a yogi master or something, learn how to completely control every aspect of your being.  Resolve the guilt through this way.

Guilt is just an emotion perpetuated be certain thoughts.  Let go of the thoughts I'd say.  Something to do over time but eventually you'll potentially just reach enlightenment anyway.  There's a lot of power in meditation I'm finding.

I wonder though,  guilt is felt due to your.moral compass. Would meditation alter your moral compass or would you simply learn to cope with what you have done?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Debstermania said:

I wonder though,  guilt is felt due to your.moral compass. Would meditation alter your moral compass or would you simply learn to cope with what you have done?

I think that the moral compass wouldn't alter how ever the feeling itself, the actual experience of the guilty can be released.  One would still be aware, morally speaking, that one did was wrong.  And the compass would imply guilt thereof however the feeling itself I think is the problem.  Not the knowledge that you did something wrong.  That doesn't leave necessarily.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PsiSeeker said:

I think that the moral compass wouldn't alter how ever the feeling itself, the actual experience of the guilty can be released.  One would still be aware, morally speaking, that one did was wrong.  And the compass would imply guilt thereof however the feeling itself I think is the problem.  Not the knowledge that you did something wrong.  That doesn't leave necessarily.

I get what u say

• Like 1

Awesome replies all! Thanks! I shot meditation at him, give it some time and I'll offer to listen. 

I find it hard to believe it will change out friendship.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

On 10/09/2016 at 1:14 AM, Wes4747 said:

Hi all, thanks for stopping in!

Suppose years ago someone did something horrible. Criminally wrong, action even went against personal morals, and got away with it. Perhaps not everyone would feel the haunt of guilt, but for the purpose of this question let's assume guilt is strong.

Victims are involved, but to attempt ammends, or seek counsel, could land one facing charges.

Can't change the past, how would one go about overcoming debilitive guilt?

All responses appreciated!

tell your friend to get therapy and change a few things to remain ambiguous if he is worried about revealing too much . I strongly recommend you suggest it to him if he says the guilt is crippling him, that is mental illness . best wishes xo

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Overcoming the guilt would mean you'd have to accept your past because It can't be changed. It also depends on how bad the act that caused guilt was.. let's say you caused someone's death by accident, It would probably take a while for that scar to heal but If It's a planned murder.. those kinds of people don't have a right mindset so I don't know to what extent they would feel guilt.