Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Are People Afraid of Clowns?

Claire.

1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

You all mean clownphobia?  Obviously yet again *sighs* another pitiful look at me see me  adult word speeeeelled wrong [ courlophobia ] , ask any kid on any word and they know EXACTLY how its spelled but you can't tell that to the adults nothing but nastiness back.
Oh theme ... clowns just look like they will come alive at any moment over there in the very back of the closet looking at four year olds.

I'm not afraid of clown or anything like that. They just aren't funny or anything to me, except Krusty.

• Like 2

This is actually quite sad to me.. Imagine the black and white days, and probably before. 

When water, food and shelter were of greatest concern. Before the radio I imagine, when life was hard pressed and bland for children..

Some idiot donned face paint and funky clothes and made people smile...

I was at a lol magic show just last night, and once I tired of calling this poor smucks secrets silently, I turned my attention to the audience. 

Some adults were mildly entertained while others were fully plugged in. But the children, and not the nicest dressed ones either-the ones who may be going without some things-the children were filled with such a sense of wonder and joy!

Completely in rapture, I watched the children in their own rapture, and I remembered.....What it was like to be innocent and see the bright colors and big smile of a clown. To wonder...

And then it p***ed me off. Why are adults seemingly destroying the wonder and joy of being a child? Demonizing a child's entertainment character? Politicizing the ******* rainbow???!!! 

I catch a clown scaring kids and all he** will break loose.

• Like 2

Yeah me tooz yah really.  whhew I can' barely keep up with this place, too much going on at once!

I agree, kids should be left to be kids as long as possible, I was nice and really didn't know meanness then I was shoved into school, there I learned to .... over my hair and jokes, later in adult life I learned what prejudice was, later condescending, then ugly, then vile etc.

Oh .... topic/focus clowns, I think its because some clowns look real and if you've ever watch any creepy movies, well there you go.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

I will kneel at the playing of Entry of the Gladiators until clown intolerance is dissolved.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2016 at 2:14 AM, MWoo7 said:

You all mean clownphobia?  Obviously yet again *sighs* another pitiful look at me see me  adult word speeeeelled wrong [ courlophobia ] , ask any kid on any word and they know EXACTLY how its spelled but you can't tell that to the adults nothing but nastiness back.

Ok, so I spelled it wrong. Burn me at the stake. I'm greek. But I know enough to tell you that it's not "clownphobia" as you say. It's coulrophobia. From Coulro: Humans who have distinct pigmentation defeats. Also known as clown humans due to the make up like features of the skin.

Due to the fact I'm greek I know that the prefix "coulro-" comes from thw ancient greek "one who goes on stilts".

Edited by Kyuubi
  • Like 1

Ah I was making light, everyone knows the roots or should, my kids are always saying how things should be spelled and often I agree, half have silent this or that and it really messes up the spelling bee events. Thanks for the two bits though.

6 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Ok, so I spelled it wrong. Burn me at the stake. I'm greek. But I know enough to tell you that it's not "clownphobia" as you say. It's coulrophobia. From Coulro: Humans who have distinct pigmentation defeats. Also know as clown humans due to the make up like features of the skin.

Due to the fact I'm greek I know that the prefix "coulro-" comes from the Ancient greek “one who goes on stilts”.

• Like 2

I love clowns. I still have a clown jack in the box from when I was little. I don't know why but I always felt sorry for them. Perhaps because they look more sad than they do scary. And that's probably why I would be the first ditz killed by one in a movie.

• Like 2

A friend of mine once put a life-sized clown at the top of my stairs and unscrewed the light bulbs. Scared the crap out of me. Hate the suckers with a passion.

• Like 2

HA! Excellent! Zenith "   A friend of mine once put a life-sized clown at the top of my stairs and unscrewed the light bulbs. Scared the crap out of me. Hate the suckers with a passion.   "

• Like 1

On 14/10/2016 at 2:33 AM, MWoo7 said:

Holy it does have the Canadian/Brit u in it, WOW OKAY ! thanks there 

Kyuubi

Most excellent indeed.

That's a smart thought but it's not that. We actually have the letter u but it is pronounced u only when it is written ou. I made this mistake because we've got only 2-3 words with lr or rl. Coulro comes from coluro (κολουρος) (with an s in the end for male) which means frustum (because of the shape of the stilts) I know! It's all greek to you! 

(So when I saw u-r-l my brain thought it was right because, to me, it is more common in english, I was typing in english, so...)

Edited by Kyuubi
  • Like 1

Thanks a million but I've given up trying to figure the other way of spelling(old Eng./Brit way) and I always tell my kids its probably correct somewhere in the world but for now your teacher is always right.  Now about the metric system  wheee.gif

[hey is that cryilllllllic? oh god Greek right!] yeah I can't even read that anymore well angel, some are really good at it, KUDOS TO YOU !, don't tell me, you have green eyes.

Oh talk about brain screw, try going over books research putting papers together oh and later in life now I'm really screwed up HA! regarding:::: > "" (So when I saw u-r-l my brain thought it was right because, to me, it is more common in english, I was typing in english, so...)  """

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2016 at 5:40 PM, XenoFish said:

I don't know. Pennywise wasn't exactly a friendly clown.

He's ultimately less terrifying once you find out it was Tim Curry, though.

On 10/13/2016 at 5:03 PM, Hammerclaw said:

I remember that movie. Something about cotton candy guns and captive balloons. Genius.

On 9/15/2016 at 8:18 PM, Olate1 said:

I feared a clown...named John Wayne Gacy.

Yeah, I think he might have spoiled clowns for a lot of people. 

On 10/13/2016 at 7:29 PM, Zenith said:

A friend of mine once put a life-sized clown at the top of my stairs and unscrewed the light bulbs. Scared the crap out of me. Hate the suckers with a passion.

Hehe. That sounds like a prank I would have pulled. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...