Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Are People Afraid of Clowns?

Claire.

"Did you see the clown in the woods?"

On Aug. 26, Greenville, South Carolina, resident Donna Arnold told FOX Carolina that she had contacted the Greenville County Sheriff's Office after her son and other children reported seeing a clown near their apartment complex. Arnold said that "about 30 kids" asked her if she had seen the clown. Bizarre as it sounds, this wasn't the first clown sighting in Greenville County that week, nor was it the last.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

Obviously those clowns are Extraterrestrial Biological Entities that disguise themselves as clowns so they can observe humans and possibly catch a human snack from time to time. :P

• Like 4

It's all fun and games until Chuckles gets beat up and arrested on the way to a kid's birthday gig. Sad times for a clown indeed.

• Like 7

Fear of clowns goes back at least as far as Roman times.   Clowns have not always been slap-stick performers confined safely to a circus. In older times clowns appeared in many festival traditions.  Clowns represented among other things anarchy and the chaos of the universe.  Many clowns in European tradition at least did things that were not funny or friendly.  They were pranksters that could get away with things that people in normal times could not.  They might be funny and delightful and say or do things you wish you could, but they could also be unpredictable and threatening.  Stephen King tapped in to that pretty well. Keep both eyes open around clowns.

• Like 3

Why are people afraid of clowns? In part I think it's because they disguise their facial expressions. Same thing with wearing a mask or a burka ....... immediately makes people wary because they can't read what the intent is. Indicates the person in disguise is trying to trick you in some way. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Why are people afraid of clowns? In part I think it's because they disguise their facial expressions. Same thing with wearing a mask or a burka ....... immediately makes people wary because they can't read what the intent is. Indicates the person in disguise is trying to trick you in some way. 

Image result for clown meme scaryImage result for clown meme scaryImage result for clown meme scary

• Like 3

Maybe they're ramping up for Halloween a skosh early.  Why are people scared of clowns ? Why I've no idea HA! but even a better question is why do Aunties and my blasted Uncles like scaring the bejebus out of kids, they got me a clown, it was huge, long arms, sat in the farthest corner of my closet, just staring at me *surely that arm didn't move* .

a-creepy-clowns-14-580x435.jpg?quality=6

What's under the bed we really don't know ... [Certified SCARY!].jpg51f01639667ffdcb1cbe121fe582c8ee.jpg

e996584d1b690577c3b5f426454a5bac.jpg

........... and cats don't help matters b3faba3ac2b5650c431b856aef9ab0e4.jpg

.......... I lived in the very very, tippy top of the farm house with that damn clown, its a wonder kids survive these things, what if I'd seen this ?creepy.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

• Like 3

That clown in the first pic looks like an alternate universe Dr. Who.  The Clown Lords of Time.

Edited by paperdyer
Fixed typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

.......... I lived in the very very, tippy top of the farm house with that damn clown, its a wonder kids survive these things, what if I'd seen this ?creepy.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

A very effective home security plan. Clowns in the front window.  Fewer people knocking on the door trying to sell you things.

• Like 3

Right on that little-dreamer "A very effective home security plan. Clowns in the front window.  Fewer people knocking on the door trying to sell you things" No JW crews, idea! Halloween's coming up hmmmmmmmm I'll have to make it come alive somehow though.

re:

1 hour ago, little_dreamer said:

A very effective home security plan. Clowns in the front window.  Fewer people knocking on the door trying to sell you things.

hahaaha EXCELLENT ! "alternate universe Dr. Who" HA!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

I didn't find clowns creepy until Stephen King made them creepy, which also inspired other horror authors to include creepy clowns, so I think the modern creepiness of clowns has much to do with Stephen King.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 3

The high school in the town i work in had a bomb threat the other day. Reportedly from a clown. There have been a few in the state in recent weeks. The bomb squad, SWAT team, K-9 units etc were all out in force. They evacuated the students and halted some traffic. My shop is less than a quarter mile from the school. Doesn't help that i totally hate/fear/HATE clowns........i had my head on a swivel the entire rest of the day! Apparently this is a thing now, clowns and copycat clowns threatening people. The only logical thing for me to do is, to quote R. Kelly, "...so i pull out my guuuuuun!"

• Like 2

I am not afraid of clowns ..... why be afraid of them ?  Thats just plain silly .

One comes around here, I wont be afraid at all , I just smash him in the face with an axe handle .   :angry:

• Like 2

It's called courlophobia. Frued came up with this idea of the uncanny valley effect. It is the idea of something being very familiar but at the same time oddly unfamiliar that causes a response of horror. While we are attracted by the familiar, we are repulsed by the unfamiliar. As an example think of the super realistic robots. Creepy is the word!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

They don't make me smile, laugh, cry, or anything but think how stupid they look.

Edited by South Alabam
Except Krusty, now Krusty is funny.
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2016 at 3:05 PM, Clair said:

"Did you see the clown in the woods?"

On Aug. 26, Greenville, South Carolina, resident Donna Arnold told FOX Carolina that she had contacted the Greenville County Sheriff's Office after her son and other children reported seeing a clown near their apartment complex. Arnold said that "about 30 kids" asked her if she had seen the clown. Bizarre as it sounds, this wasn't the first clown sighting in Greenville County that week, nor was it the last.

Read more: Live Science

I can only say from my own childhood that I am clown-phobic because:

1) Most of them are not funny

2) They, of course, look grotesque

Oddball antics, bizarre attire, the humanness hidden underneath makeup and costumes. The only funny clowns I ever saw were some rodeo clowns who were actually amusing, acrobatic, and somewhat bold risk-takers. The rest are just useless at best, sinister at worst.

• Like 3

You all mean clownphobia?  Obviously yet again *sighs* another pitiful look at me see me  adult word speeeeelled wrong [ courlophobia ] , ask any kid on any word and they know EXACTLY how its spelled but you can't tell that to the adults nothing but nastiness back.
Oh theme ... clowns just look like they will come alive at any moment over there in the very back of the closet looking at four year olds.

Edited by MWoo7