Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman nearly taken to court for 1 cent

Likely Guy

"A Winnipeg mother says she was threatened with a court hearing and possible action from a collection agency because she owed one cent for a traffic ticket.

Kathy Stoyka's daughter was caught speeding in her mother's car by photo radar in Winnipeg in June, with Stoyka on the hook for the $364.75 fine.

Stoyka says she sent off a few cheques to pay the fine, but was inadvertently a cent short.

Despite the mistake, Manitoba's courts weren't very forgiving.

"I got back from holidays on Monday, picked up my mail on Tuesday, and got a final notice from the Provincial court for one cent," she told CTV Winnipeg.

She called the city to address the situation and was told if she didn't cough up the penny, she could face a collection company coming to see her over the matter."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/manitoba-nearly-takes-woman-to-court-over-1-cent-1.3069344?autoPlay=true

Edit: Which is kind of funny since we don't really use the penny anymore.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

In the early 90s 1 and 2 cents stopped getting used and made in Australia. In 1999 or 2000 a lady was on a news program she had been sent a electric bill for 1 cent rang the company told don't worry about it since it's not legal money anymore. A week later she gets another letter this time threatening to take her to court over it, in the end it all got dropped and put as a computer mistake

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

In the early 90s 1 and 2 cents stopped getting used and made in Australia. In 1999 or 2000 a lady was on a news program she had been sent a electric bill for 1 cent rang the company told don't worry about it since it's not legal money anymore. A week later she gets another letter this time threatening to take her to court over it, in the end it all got dropped and put as a computer mistake

I can see a computer caring very much about a penny, but from the article; "She called the city to address the situation and was told if she didn't cough up the penny, she could face a collection company coming to see her over the matter."

Apparently she talked to a cold-hearted bureaucrat of the worst order.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

You wouldn't think a penny would be a big deal. Sounds very heartless of them and like they're all about money

• Like 3

wouldn't those letters and calls have already cost them more than the penny they're trying to collect?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

wouldn't those letters and calls have already cost them more than the penny they're trying to collect?

Yep, letters here cost 85 cents to send.

• Like 1

My daughter's first vehicle was a used Jeep Wrangler.  I went with her, negotiated the price and my last word on the deal was X number and not a penny more.  About an hour later we were presented with a sales contract for that amount PLUS one penny.  If she had not loved the vehicle I would have torn the contract up and walked away laughing at the nasty little sales manager's sense of humor.  I'd really have loved to see the guy explain to his boss how he lost a sale because he was a jerk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, and then said:

My daughter's first vehicle was a used Jeep Wrangler.  I went with her, negotiated the price and my last word on the deal was X number and not a penny more.  About an hour later we were presented with a sales contract for that amount PLUS one penny.  If she had not loved the vehicle I would have torn the contract up and walked away laughing at the nasty little sales manager's sense of humor.  I'd really have loved to see the guy explain to his boss how he lost a sale because he was a jerk.

Only an hour later? Now i know you're lying.  

Seriously though the last time I bought a car took an entire afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Quite right too.  A penny is a penny and if you let everyone off you'll soon be penniless.

that doesn't make a nickel's worth of cents!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

that doesn't make a nickel's worth of cents!

I was under the influence of Mad Happiness.  :)

(No, that is not the name of an alcoholic beverage or drug)

• Like 1

Your punmanship is admirable; are you too of the chronically unfortunate funny speakers? 

• Like 1