Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the power of suggistion

danielost

I hope this is the correct spot for this.

I believe in the power of suggestion.  magic has power over you if you believe it.  there has been suggestions that people have healed through the power of suggestion.  what do you think.  as always be nice to each other.

• Like 3

Of course suggestion works, we're influenced by it everyday. A suggestion, a question, a request. All get those mental gears turning. Some suggestions backed by physicality can affect the psyche deeply. Creating either a placebo or nocebo effect. Magick works this way. It's all psychology. A curse works through the power of suggestion, then reinforced by belief. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120606142818.htm

You suggest that a location is haunted. You might have just influenced someone's mind to 'manufacture' a haunting.

• Like 4

As a qualified hypnotherapist, I can assure you suggestion is real and powerful, but suggestion ISNT any form of magic

Most ads on the TV are full of clever suggestions

• Like 7

Something you can all try on a partner/family member.....in a moment of non activity, ie, just sitting, chatting, relaxing....begin talking about a time when say....you were making a coke with ice on a hot day.....and you also wanted a lemon slice in the glass...and how you took a firm yellow lemon, sliced into the flesh, saw little little droplets splash out....but instead of putting the lemon in the iced coke, you absent-mindedly put it in your mouth.....and man....how you puckered up...shuddered, and how your mouth instantly juiced up at the citrus...making your mouth instantly wetter.... etc

Usually you will see the other pucker up too, or salivate, lick their lips or even shudder....now thats an indirect suggestion, and we usually do similar to each other ALL the time without realising it...

Like when us men retell a story.... like when we hurt our testicles somehow, like being hit by a ball, or kicked in the groin, or having them grabbed, then describing the pain, lack of breath, aching nuts etc..... most other men will tend to twitch their legs or even hold their groin if the story is gruesome enough... your story/suggestion, almost recreates the effect...but in THEM

Of course lots of peoples mouths water just at the thought of sucking a lemon.... thats suggestion too, self suggestion

• Like 4

since we all agree that the power of suggestion works maybe we should stop calling each other names such as stupid, fool, or idiot.  perhaps replace them with names such as smart, or good person.  what do you think.

• Like 2

the names you suggest....are edited out by the mods...

This is a discussion forum, a 2 way street.. if someone wants to burn themselves with petrol in the street, will it do any good suggesting they are smart and know whats best, then...give them your matches?

• Like 1

yes, but are they burning themselves because others have called them names.

19 minutes ago, danielost said:

yes, but are they burning themselves because others have called them names.

Conversation is simply an exchange of views, if someone questions your views however, thats called feedback, a time for a person to reconsider what they said in light of all available evidence. In life there is no such thing as failure...its just feedback..... for example if Im unhealthy, overweight, and decide to run a mile, and dont make it....did I fail? No, the feedback is telling me.....Im not in shape yet....so if I adjust my behaviour TOWARDS running a mile, I will see I need to lose weight, perhaps go for brisk walks to get my heart and lungs used to the exertion, take shorter runs to build stamina...and then when I have addressed the feedback, mended my ways....and run the mile, most likely I will do it

Feedback is good, people just need to ask themselves....whats the feedback telling you?

On forums, Im seeder.....if someone curses seeder should I get upset? Hell no....thats not even my name, nor is my avatar me

Lastly.....if what a person is doing is achieving undesirable results....they need to change what they do! After all....if you always do....what you've always done, you'll always get....what youve always got! And life is simply about choices - we can all make

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I think you have to accept the suggestion on some level for it to be effective. I am Xeno on this forum, doesn't mean I'm Xeno offline. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, danielost said:

so your saying the power of suggestion has no power on the internet.

It has power if you accept and believe the statement that people say. Cyber bullying is a thing although the easy solution is to turn off your dang computer. There are those to take a lot to heart, they put emotional weight on words. This is (In my opinion) how suggestion works. Religions use suggestion, coupled with emotion and promise to snag you. Same with anything real. Whole relationships are wrapped up in emotional promises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, danielost said:

so your saying the power of suggestion has no power on the internet.

Only the power you give it by accepting it as absolutely true....

true suggestion, as in hypnotic suggestion...can be very subtle....I can even ask you to NOT do something.....but you'll go ahead and do it anyway.....proof? OK...

DO NOT.....make an image of a kangaroo in your mind right now. OK?

So, are you still NOT thinking of a kangaroo?

NO....you just thought of one....even when I asked you NOT to... its a clever way for me to make your mind do something....simply by suggesting you dont do it...

• Like 4

ok again maybe we should stop calling people names, just for those few who are affected by it. on and off line.

• Like 1

From what I've read over the years. Our subconscious works mostly through image and emotions. Suggestions can even be symbolized as such.

tumblr_mh6upjlEjQ1qeq23ko1_500.jpg

Suggestions and intentions are written down. Repeating letters are removed and the remaining letters are then condensed into a monogram, representing an idea or desire. The process of creating the sigil typically require focus and subtle emotions. Charging the image. This image is only powered by belief. If you accept that it will work, then it will change you from the inside out. Perception, actions, small things about you. It's largely self-fulfilling and from experience it works. 

On a more interesting note. Writing down "God is Love" turning that into a sigil and using it as a daily focal point would (in my mind) reinforce your personal concept of God. 

You craft a custom suggestion (sigil) for weight loss. You might find yourself motivated to exercise on a deeper internal level.

Of course everything I just wrote could be wrong. 

• Like 2

When the suggestion that one can be healed, can have the measurable effect of healing... then I think the word magic is appropriate. 

• Like 1

Physical or emotional healing? Placebo only work so well. Magick is often define as a change in accordance to will. I prefer to think of it as a change in consciousness.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2016 at 4:41 AM, danielost said:

ok again maybe we should stop calling people names, just for those few who are affected by it. on and off line.

Are u sure u are not confusing these two: Labelling a person with a name and them living up to the label  and suggestion.

If u call someone bad names to their face or within ear shot is it seen as suggestion? 

• Like 2

I was in a major department retail chain store on time a few years back, they were having a liquidation sale and mom wanted to go shopping. She saw a cedar hope chest that she wanted to give to my sister, the tag said suggested price $84.00, so I called one of the reps over and asked him if that was the best that he could do. He was trying to hold to sticker price, which I pointed out was a "suggested" price and I was going to suggest a price, He could offer a different suggestion to which I counter suggest, we settle at 45.00. :lol:

jmccr8

• Like 3

I'd suggest this thread is largely incoherent !

• Like 1

these are all good suggestions.  but I still say calling someone names is bad.  the bible agrees with me on one name, it says not to call anyone fool.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:45 AM, danielost said:

I hope this is the correct spot for this.

I believe in the power of suggestion.  magic has power over you if you believe it.  there has been suggestions that people have healed through the power of suggestion.  what do you think.  as always be nice to each other.

I think that I can go out on a limb with stuff like this.  And enjoy doing it too and why not.

Let's think, what're we doing when we suggest?  We are using language, we are communicating.  What is using language?  Communicating?  Well certainly some form of energy transfer that changes the vibration energies of another state to be a certain way.  So why can't I communicate for my kettle to boil hot water?  May just be that there are different levels of "language" that exist as dimensional layering from the core of reality to the abstracted layer that we exist on.  So to suggest in a way that is magical one must speak the vibration language of a particular configuration of reality and then cause some sort of induction.

Why is induction magical?  There is, unlike deduction, absolutely no reason for it to work.  It just does.  So you suggest, induce a particular result and Bob's your uncle.  The problem lies in the ability to "speak" correctly.  Through energy transferred by way of certain vibration frequencies since, as Science seems to tell us, everything is just fields that form matter, particles and the like as vibrations within the field.  Speaking the language of a system allows you to control aspects of the system as well as influence them and it is imaginable that all systems have some language belonging to it, a system can be anything you choose to denote as a system with terms and premises and the like you can draw and deduct and induct from.

In this way of thinking then anything that supersedes you can potentially have control over you.  It must just speak your language.  So you can "suggest" changes to occur within another person provided you supersede certain aspects of their existence on some level.  Kind of like hacking them.  Advertisement is hacking people in my opinion, inserting viruses into us.  But I think this ability to influence and cause change should exist on a far grander scale.  We're just too far removed from the absolute layer of existence as far as our conscious and physical systems go I think.

So how can you make this magic work?  I think the secret is time.  You form a lattice like structure of a "sentence" that stretches over long periods of time that subtly causes changes to occur.  Seeking domino like effects in the system your influencing, looking to pry at weaknesses in the structure.  You have to fire very carefully and complex enough sentences just right to get the desired changes to occur.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PsiSeeker said:

I think that I can go out on a limb with stuff like this.  And enjoy doing it too and why not.

Let's think, what're we doing when we suggest?  We are using language, we are communicating.  What is using language?  Communicating?  Well certainly some form of energy transfer that changes the vibration energies of another state to be a certain way.  So why can't I communicate for my kettle to boil hot water?  May just be that there are different levels of "language" that exist as dimensional layering from the core of reality to the abstracted layer that we exist on.  So to suggest in a way that is magical one must speak the vibration language of a particular configuration of reality and then cause some sort of induction.

Why is induction magical?  There is, unlike deduction, absolutely no reason for it to work.  It just does.  So you suggest, induce a particular result and Bob's your uncle.  The problem lies in the ability to "speak" correctly.  Through energy transferred by way of certain vibration frequencies since, as Science seems to tell us, everything is just fields that form matter, particles and the like as vibrations within the field.  Speaking the language of a system allows you to control aspects of the system as well as influence them and it is imaginable that all systems have some language belonging to it, a system can be anything you choose to denote as a system with terms and premises and the like you can draw and deduct and induct from.

In this way of thinking then anything that supersedes you can potentially have control over you.  It must just speak your language.  So you can "suggest" changes to occur within another person provided you supersede certain aspects of their existence on some level.  Kind of like hacking them.  Advertisement is hacking people in my opinion, inserting viruses into us.  But I think this ability to influence and cause change should exist on a far grander scale.  We're just too far removed from the absolute layer of existence as far as our conscious and physical systems go I think.

So how can you make this magic work?  I think the secret is time.  You form a lattice like structure of a "sentence" that stretches over long periods of time that subtly causes changes to occur.  Seeking domino like effects in the system your influencing, looking to pry at weaknesses in the structure.  You have to fire very carefully and complex enough sentences just right to get the desired changes to occur.

How could one get the pot of water to boil if one has not learned to communicate with the water? This post revived my curiosity a bit, is there another, deeper level of communication that we are unknowingly capable of? I dunno...

• Like 1

On 16/09/2016 at 4:18 AM, quiXilver said:

When the suggestion that one can be healed, can have the measurable effect of healing... then I think the word magic is appropriate. 

hypnotherapists have helped MANY to heal themselves.....the power lies in those hearing the suggestion, not those giving it...thats the real magic, we can all heal ourselves of many things. Except broken bones and bacterial infections that is....well, and a few more..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think Christ used the power of suggestion when he healed people.  even the woman who was healed merely by touching his robe.  the only one it seems that needed more was the blind man.  whom Christ put mud on his eyes to heal them.