Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another live thylacine video surfaces online

ouija ouija

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I Everything from sea otters to coyotes have been treated the same here, but managed to survive.

I think that in the case of the thylacine, disease was the final death blow. 

• 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Forgot to write anything there didn't I.

I intended to write, guess the animal. 

Computer nerd with good CGI skills?

• Like 3

Actually it's from National Geographic. (Although the article came out on the 1st of April 2014)  

The stripes have been stuck on, other than that as far as I can see it's unaltered, and I've seen this species up close in a captive breeding program. 

• Like 1

There's another video been released by these people. Unfortunately, it won't be available to anyone except those who attend his fund raising premier. After that it won't be shown in public till the documentary is released. 

Apparently it shows a brief glimpse of a thylacine on a trail camera. Really? 

The pic gets a bit difficult to make out when blown up a bit, there's nothing much there to indicate a size, but it looks like it has some Macropod features. Where is it from? Or would that make it obvious?

Edited by Horta
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horta said:

The pic gets a bit difficult to make out when blown up a bit, there's nothing much there to indicate a size, but it looks like it has some Macropod features. Where is it from? Or would that make it obvious?

No connection with the macropods . Maximum size for this species is up to about 150cm nose to tail. 

Can't say where it's from because that would bow it straight away. But, it's from an island,  and it's the top mammalian predator there. It's also cited as a good example of convergent evolution, colour is dark reddish brown. 

• Like 1

Fossa, from Madagascar.

edit to add. Cryptoprocta ferox ( "cryptoprocta" = greek for hidden anus, "ferox" = latin for fierce)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_(animal)

Nature throws up some fascinating examples of convergent evolution when regions become isolated for long enough. 

Edited by Horta
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Horta said:

Fossa, from Madagascar.

edit to add. Cryptoprocta ferox ( "cryptoprocta" = greek for hidden anus, "ferox" = latin for fierce)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_(animal)

Nature throws up some fascinating examples of convergent evolution when regions become isolated for long enough. 

That's the one! And the binomial name is bizarre isn't it. The fossa is a beautiful animal. 

And yes it does, there's also the tenrecs on Madagascar, they're eerily convergent. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for all those who've been anxiously waiting for the next video from the Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia, or TAGA for short, there's a tantalising sneak preview on FB. ( I think Thylacine Watch Australia Team would make for a more accurate acronym)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/412534695566501/permalink/746164895536811/