Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unidentified Bird Tracks

digitalSorrow

About a year ago, I was walking home from school and noticed weird bird-like footprints on one of the baseball diamonds there. A quick look at the others showed that there were tracks on all four of them. The tracks remained there for several weeks, during which I was able to get pictures of lone prints and congregations of them. There's not many large birds here, except for hawks, and even then they aren't usually this close to urban environments.

122.JPG

Edited by digitalSorrow
  • Like 2

The prints look somewhat similar to Canada Geese and are about the correct size (although it's difficult to say for certain with just the one print). Urban areas, especially those close to lakes and ponds are perfect environments which is why Michigan gets thousands of them.

Perhaps this bird tracks guide might help: http://www.naturetracking.com/bird-tracks/

Michigan's Department of Natural Resources on Canada Geese: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_25065-59467--,00.html

• Like 5

Looks abit like turkey-vulture foorprints,

Would help, where was you when you took the photo. What country?

Edited by MissJatti

4 hours ago, Clair said:

The prints look somewhat similar to Canada Geese and are about the correct size (although it's difficult to say for certain with just the one print). Urban areas, especially those close to lakes and ponds are perfect environments which is why Michigan gets thousands of them.

Perhaps this bird tracks guide might help: http://www.naturetracking.com/bird-tracks/

Michigan's Department of Natural Resources on Canada Geese: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_25065-59467--,00.html

Yeah could very well be Canada Geese (footprints pretty much match up with those in the footprint guide you posted and the webbing isn't always apparent). I can't think of anything else that would make sense, especially in larger numbers.

I don't see any coyote tracks following, not the road runner imo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Just go to nearest local museum or zoo..

Nah that would be too easy.

It seems that you have found the tracks of a true living dinosaur. No need to search the remote jungles for them; they are right in your backyard!

Depending on where in Michigan the OP is..

Canada Goose, Swans, or possibly Turkey Vultures. As the OP said, the tracks had been there for a while, and from the pic, those are clearly not fresh tracks. So the blur could be hiding some details.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Would help, where was you when you took the photo. What country?

The US, specifically southwestern Michigan.

I've seen turkey tracks like that back in my hunting days. They can be mean sobs too.

Now, if it were canadian geese just look for droppings. That's all they do is drop turd. Well, that and chase you in a public setting while you were wishing it was someone else it was happening to.

Turkey or goose in my opinion.

Edited by Kurzweil
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kurzweil said:

I've seen turkey tracks like that back in my hunting days. They can be mean sobs too.

Now, if it were canadian geese just look for droppings. That's all they do is drop turd. Well, that and chase you in a public setting while you were wishing it was someone else it was happening to.

Turkey or goose in my opinion.

When geese invade fields there is poop everywhere for sure no way to miss that 

• Like 1

Hawks, kites and eagles. Accipitridae is a family of birds of prey, which includes hawks, eagles, kites, harriers and Old World vultures. These birds have very large powerful hooked beaks for tearing flesh from their prey, strong legs, powerful talons and keen eyesight. There are 15 Michigan species. ...

There are also Cranes, and other large birds there.

I am going with geese.

Either way, there are a number of large birds there.

Source was Wikipedia. ( many others on google )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, digitalSorrow said:

122.JPG

How come you have a really really long thumb nail, and the others nails have been cut? Why not cut the thumb nail too.

Edited by MissJatti
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MissJatti said:

How come you have a really really long thumb nail, and the others nails have been cut? Why not cut the thumb nail too.

Guitar?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Guitar?

Typing...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, digitalSorrow said:

I was walking home from school

How old are you? just trying to get an idea on how big your hands are. These prints may not be as big as you think - if you had adult hands, the prints would seem smaller.

16 hours ago, digitalSorrow said:

There's not many large birds here,

See my above comment.

Here is a print of a  Canada goose = take into account the difference in soil and time they have been there, looks very much like these:

timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nature

30 minutes ago, Hudds said:

Beer bottle opener.

Hitch Hiking extender.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hudds said:

Tooth Pick.

nose pick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

nose pick

Intended to indicate status as a non-manual labourer or worker as per Indonesian culture?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lord Fedorable said:

Baby Velociraptors.

Wait til the OP comes across mummy and daddy Velociraptor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

How old are you?

I had just turned thirteen a few months before the picture was taken.